Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   One sided feeding (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393952)

itzfaith 04-13-2008 08:44 AM

One sided feeding

From the beginning, I have always pverproduced and had problems with my baby staying on because I had rapic let down. Things are much better now, but only because I nurse on one side only. He seems to stay on for about 10 minutes, and then he's full. He has gained good weight and is growing each day, but he refuses to nurse on the right side. Will only nurse on the left, so I gave up all together on the other side. Is this ok? I don't see a big difference in breast size., and even if it did, I probably wouldn't care because I'll do whatever it takes to bf my LO. But, is it ok to continue nursing like this as far nutrition wise for him? He seems to be doing great according to his weight gain. I haven't talked to the doctor yet because his appointment is next month (4 month check up)

itzfaith 04-13-2008 09:02 AM

Re: One sided feeding

ok, didnt think to look for a similar thread.. found one, and it helped. I guess it is ok to do this? it seems pretty common, but so early on?

joy7s 04-13-2008 02:35 PM

I know there was a woman who did this too with tandem nursing!! I honestly dont think it matters. Perhaps your millk is better b/c it only has to go to one boobie!! ;) A doctor wouldn't be concerned unless he stopped gaining weight I don't think

blessed-with-three 04-13-2008 02:40 PM

My first son was the same way...except he would only nurse on the right side and not the left. Hang in there mama. I nursed him only on the right side for the first 6 months. I pumped on the other side often, to keep from becoming to lop sided.... and this also helped him latch on the left side after he got a little older. :goodvibes:

greeneyedambe 04-13-2008 02:47 PM

I know a mama who has nursed her 2 daughters only on her left breast. They are perfectly healthy and everyone is happy. I say just do what is right for you and your baby. Everyone's nursing experience is different and it sounds like you have figured out what works well for you. Congratulations mama! Keep up the good work!

itzfaith 04-13-2008 03:55 PM

aww, thanks. i feel much more confident today because of all of your responses. i think i will start pumping on the right before its too late and i stope producing on that side all together. i guess im scared that is for whatever reason i cant nurse on the left, that i atleast can try the other side. thanks for all the input.

lisap 04-13-2008 08:36 PM

mama
i am a breast cancer survivor and can only feed on one side. my babe is happy healthy and chunky! fully supported from my pediatrician and lactation consultant! only problem, my lo won't take a bottle and i have to start working a little bit. maybe i need to start another thread! anyway good luck....

mom-to-4! 04-13-2008 09:01 PM

There is no reason your baby can't nurse on just one side! Your body is miraculous in that it responds naturally to what your baby is "telling' it. You will make enough milk from one breast for your baby, as long as he keeps asking for it. If you don't want the other side to stop producing, just pump. Try offering him the side he doesn't like sometimes and see if he changes his mind. It could be that he is uncomfortable lying on that side (maybe a mild ear infection in that ear?), or he just might not like the way it lets down, or that way it feels in his mouth, or he can breathe better in the other position, whatever. Does he take a bottle? You can either freeze the milk for bottles or you can donate it to a milk bank for babies whose mommies cannot bf. Rest assured, he is draining the breast he is nursing from and getting all the good stuff to keep him healthy and growing!
Think about mommies of twins. Their babies only nurse from one side, becuase there is one mouth for each breast! And they are just fine. HTH and good for you for sticking with bf'ing your picky eater!