Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   C-section and b-fing getting nervous help !!!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394065)

amielia80 04-13-2008 11:56 AM

C-section and b-fing getting nervous help !!!!!

Well, I had my heart set on a VBA2c but it isn't going to happen (dissapointment #1) but my c-section is scheduled for tuesday. I have had horrible time w/ b-feeding in the past with my other 2. I mean it was a real horrible experience but I REALLY REALLY want to make it work this time around. I always thought of the c-sections as part of the problem because I am just in so much pain, so now I am super nervous already going into this. Please offer me some advise anything. I already find myself picturing the worst case senerio and keep telling DH we should pick up some fomula just in case. I will have 3 kiddos to take care of by myself( Dh has to go back to work a few days after I get home) and my oldest also has special needs so I already feel overwhelmed. I want to get a good pump so that at least I have that comfort of knowing I can always pump out my BM for baby (that is what I did for a while with DS#2) but we are on limited funds. I guess maybe I just need to vent, becasue as it apporaches I am getting more scared and doubtful of myself ( I have no supportave people around except DH) and I really want b-feeding to work !!! I never had the chance to get to a LLL meeting before this guy too so I am upset about that.
thanks for listening and any advise :)

therronsmommy 04-13-2008 01:28 PM

Re: C-section and b-fing getting nervous help !!!!!

My boppy pillow, football hold, or side lying were the best ways to nurse after my c-sections! These were the best ways that I found to keep pressure off of the incision. I hope this helps and good luck to you!

Chris10AS 04-13-2008 02:36 PM

I feel you Mama. I had to fire my OB the day after my due date because she had me scheduled for a c/s the next day. I ended up doing a homebirth and don't regret it for a second. I got to deliver my baby and never be separated from her and felt amazing afterwards. I was able to lift my 33 lber and do all the mama stuff I knew I couldn't do after a c/s. One thing I had was a supportive midwife that gave me the courage to look for other options.

As for bf'ing if you have the c/s just try and offer breast first everytime. Its amazing and I really hope you get to do it this time. Its definitely a money-saver too! lol

Monzie 04-13-2008 02:47 PM

The best thing I did was hire a lactation consultant (a real IBCLC one) to come to my house on the day my milk came in. She basically set me up with several different holds that would keep the baby off my incision, then she checked the baby's tongue and palate, made sure he was latching correctly, and gave me tons of great advice. She left me her emergency number and said I could call her any time I needed her, day or night. We didn't have any problems, but it was SO reassuring to know I had a professional who could help me if anything went wrong. I took the baby to her office when he was about 4 weeks old and she taught me some new tricks that we're still using. I seriously LOVE that woman. :goodvibes: You've reminded me that I need to send her a thank you card.

Oh! And I bought a My Brest Friend pillow and it was great. Its firmer than the Boppy (its made of foam rather than squishy batting) and you can buckle it on higher and tighter than a Boppy, which helps keep the pressure off your incision.

Liam'sMama 04-13-2008 02:58 PM

You keep the faith woman! You have already demonstrated you are strong and you will be able to BF this baby. I had a cs in October. I was soooo disappointed. My first son has special needs and was whisked away from me right after I delivered him. I wanted so badly to have the moment with my next LO when I would deliver and get to hold my baby on my chest and revel in his birth. Unfortunately, he had other plans. He was breech with his little foot coming through toes first. So, when my water broke I had a cs 3 hours later. However, with the incredible support and advocacy I received from my doula and my DH I was able to have baby on my chest and nurse him in the operating room, just moments after he was delivered. He latched on and went to town right away. I did have troubles nursing him after I got home but consulted a local lactation consultant repeatedly for assistance. That made all the difference in the world. I'll PM you her e-mail because she may be able to help you out that way, or help you find someone local as good as she is. Just repeat the mantra my doula gave me when I freaked after it was confirmed my LO was breach (my intuition told me he was and finally the dr. did an ultrasound), "I trust myself. I trust my baby." Trust yourself and your baby. You have it in you to successfully breastfeed no matter what! If it doesn't work, though, don't beat yourself up. It doesn't mean that you didn't do all you can. I'll be sending positive vibes over the weeks to come!

katiepetko 04-13-2008 03:15 PM

I responded to your post in the April due date list and saw this one too and will respond here.

I have had 2 c-sections. The first, my recovery was miserable which made breastfeeding difficult at first. My second was much better, with no complications. I was able to breastfeed in recovery as soon as I was stitched up. The nurses and Dr even encouraged it (which did not happen with #1). Try to nurse as soon as you can after you are in recovery. For me, it even helped me to deal with the sadness of having to have another c-section. Even if the Dr/nurses do not encourage it, ask for the baby ASAP and try to nurse.

My Boppy was the best thing too! I would nurse with it in a rocker (I rested it on the arms of the chair) and it took all pressure of the incision.

Just be patient with yourself and make sure you and the baby "take the lead".

Wishing you the best!

Manna00 04-13-2008 03:28 PM

I've only had one c-section... but lying down position is the BEST. We STILL only nurse in the lying down position. No pressure on your incision.

You can do it, mama!

Leann 04-13-2008 03:30 PM

you can do it, mama!

I am still EBF my DS who was my 2nd C-section. It can be done. Get all the information and support lines you can while you're in the hospital.

The first few weeks home are the hardest. It will take a while for the chaos to settle into your new 'norm'. Kids need to figure out where their new place in the family is, Parents need to figure out how to deal with the older kids and a newborn, and the newborn is still trying to figure out how to be outside the womb.

There'll be good hours and bad hours, but keep pushing through. You can do it.

mhaddon 04-13-2008 03:35 PM

Lots and lots of pillows to prop us in a comfy position. Also making sure that you get everything settled before the first sign of hunger. Do you have anyone that can help w/ your younger LO's? You can do it! :hugs:

amielia80 04-13-2008 04:48 PM

thanks so much for all te encouragment and support you guys are great ! I know I can do it!!!