Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mastitis and busy day what can I do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394070)

oneofsix 04-13-2008 11:01 AM

Mastitis and busy day what can I do?

We have company coming tonight and so of course Murphys law dictates I get mastitis. I would love to just sit around all day with castor oil packs on my boob but I can't. Aside from downing a bunch of water what else can I do? Of course I am tired and run down too. Ds is 13 mos old now and takes a sippy cup really well so he isn't nursing as much. Hes down to every 4 hours during the day, at night its more. I can offer that side more frequently but that doesn't mean he will take it. Is goldenseal ok? What else can I do? TIA

Calliope 04-13-2008 11:08 AM

Re: Mastitis and busy day what can I do?

Heat, heat, heat, water, water, water and massage, massage, massage. When I get mastitis, those work for me (along with feeding from that side first). I use a rice sock heated in the microwave and keep it on all day. Also, a hot shower with lots of massage helps a ton, too.

Hope you feel better soon!

jaceraden 04-13-2008 11:09 AM

The only thing that really was of any help for me was hot showers with massaging and feeding LO on all fours.

GL and :hugs: Mastitis is no fun.

geez0pete 04-13-2008 02:10 PM

Ibuprophen can help the inflamation and especially if you have a fever. The only thing that really helped me was chopping up and swallowing as much raw garlic as you can stand (natural antibiotic) but you may want to start that after company leaves. :giggle: Hope you're better soon! :hugs:

sunshine's mama 04-13-2008 04:00 PM

Ibuprofin....

Moist heat..........hot diapers placed on it.....

Hot shower......we have a massager head that was nice for it......

Massage......if you can stand it....

Garlic too.......

Mine appeared one day OUT OF THE BLUE while I was out to lunch with a friend.....I wasn't engorged, had no cracks, no knots or anything....but it hurt like someone punched it.....this was around 1pm.

I didn't think it was mastitis bc I didn't have any of the causes/symptoms but the pain...

By 10pm I had a fever of 104.

DD would nurse on it but ONLY laying down....

I hope it gets better soon mama.......do all you can do before company arrives and then super soon after!!!!!!!!

Oh, I wore my Bravado nursing bra bc it was super comfy..........

Barefoot n Pregnant Again 04-13-2008 04:05 PM

Hot shower advil and massage always worked for me

mhaddon 04-13-2008 04:06 PM

Do you have a pump? If so pump it! :hugs:

Calliope 04-13-2008 07:05 PM

Oh yeah, forgot....use your most comfortable sleeping bra, or no bra (after company goes home of course!).

oneofsix 04-13-2008 07:39 PM

Really no bra? I thought supportive bra? I am gonna break out my rice socks now and I am on quart #3 of water. Nursing feels like someone is slicing off my nipple. Don't have any raw garlic or advil. Would Aleve work?

OrganicMom 04-13-2008 07:43 PM

All of my tips have already been said by others. But just wanted to offer lots of hugs. We had a busy weekend planned also and I ended up getting mastitis yesterday. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Fortunately when I get mastitis, it usually goes away withing 24-36 hours so today I was feeling much better. We cancelled all our plans for the weekend and it was kind of nice to just lay around and rest. Hoping you feel better soon too!!!