Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Use Questions - Ask the Pros (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Discussion about wahm spam on DS (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394939)

topazdodge 04-14-2008 10:06 AM

Discussion about wahm spam on DS

First I am going to open this by saying that I am NOT a pot-stirrer. I really have never been one before and that is not my intention in posting here. So if you are going to reply to this thread with that intention, please don't.

This is what I posted in another thread and the second part of it did not get addressed. I am not posting this because I have a question about a specific wahm or a problem with a mod, so I don't think that I am breaking any rules by opening this thread.

I come to DS to talk about diapers and other things in life too. But here on DS I can find other people who are interested in cloth diapers. I don't think that wahms should feel like they can't talk about the stuff they make with other DS members on general threads. I know that sometimes there is a fine line between spam & just regular chat and that it's easier to just draw a clear line instead of trying to determine whether things are spam on a case by case basis. But I don't think we should have super strict rules about "spam" that end up restricting wahms from discussing their products with others on the regular threads instead of just in pms.

Diapers are interesting. Well, at least to us (the general DS population:giggle:), and I don't want to feel like we have to walk on egg shells and feel like we're doing something wrong by just talking about diapers with a wahm on a public thread. I mean, isn't that what we all come here for?

And I really hope there's nothing wrong with people doing raves and posting love for their favorite wahms. I have my favorites and I give them a shout out every chance I get. I don't think of this as spam, I think of it as sharing information about great diapers with other DS mamas. Again, this is a big part of what I come to DS for and it keeps me coming back to DS.

I do see where it [spam] could be a problem if abused. What doesn't sit well with me though is that is seems like the wahm has to be so incredibly careful about what she can & can't talk about for fear of it being too close to the spam line. For instance in a thread that was started by a random user about her love for a certain wahm's products, wouldn't that be an OK place to discuss what where when why & how (in general, not necessarily as part of a specific purchase transaction)? It seems like a wahm could only answer questions if a question is posed and phrased just a certain way. How many times do we see typos, incorrect grammar, and just poor writing skills on DS? It doesn't seem feasible to think that people will know exactly what questions they can ask to get the information or to facilitate discussion without a list of what questions a wahm is allowed to answer with specifics & discuss.

Also, I'll use the gms as an example. There have been some late night chat threads that Suzanne took part in. There was discussion back & forth about gm diapers. People made suggestions, S chatted back with random users about what was going on, what they liked & didn't like about the dipes, what was in store for the future, just general chat stuff revolving around this particular diaper. Did I think it was spam? Absolutely not! I thought it was a wahm getting a better feel for what people want & being open to 2 way communication. IMO that is one of the biggest things that makes doing business with a wahm soooooooooo much better than a large company. That personal touch & ability to communicate with the general population of customers that just isn't possible with large companies.

Now one would think, well maybe this kind of thing should be going on in a specific blog or chat room if there are a lot of people wanting to talk about certain diapers & share comments/info/chatting with other random people & a wahm about that wahm's products. That has occurred to me, but it doesn't seem feasible again (hey, I'm actually remembering big words again, I am reclaiming my brain from 4 yo/lizard/dinosaur/baby-land:giggle:). I don't think that it would work to have separate places to go that are only dedicated to chat about that wahm, for instance Fussybutt, GM, Ahmay, Baby Bear, Mutt Baby, etc. That would be nice, but we want to talk about all different kinds of things including wahms like above. So enter DS, right?:goodvibes: __________________ __________________

Now I am sorry if I broke some rules by posting this here. I am just wanting to discuss this in an adult-like conversational manner where everyone can be nice. And I am making this into a public thread instead of just pm'ing a mod/admin with my concern because I think that this applies to many of us on DS and that other people may have valuable input.

topazdodge 04-14-2008 10:20 AM

Re: Discussion about wahm spam on DS

No one has any input on this? I would hate to think people are so scared of possibly breaking a rule that we can't even talk about this. :)

77triciaj 04-14-2008 10:38 AM

:hugs: Good work trying to start a "nice" discussion thread. I agree that it seems easy to say something "wrong" lately so I try not to talk business except in PMs. I know our mods/admins are trying to make the community nice for everyone so I'm sure they are open to hearing what comes of this.:mrgreen: I think its really difficult to set a "line" that cannot be crossed when so much conversation is fairly subjective... but if there isn't a rule then its hard to enforce anything. kwim? am I just babbling?:giggle:

topazdodge 04-14-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77triciaj (Post 3315049)
:hugs: Good work trying to start a "nice" discussion thread. I agree that it seems easy to say something "wrong" lately so I try not to talk business except in PMs. I know our mods/admins are trying to make the community nice for everyone so I'm sure they are open to hearing what comes of this.:mrgreen: I think its really difficult to set a "line" that cannot be crossed when so much conversation is fairly subjective... but if there isn't a rule then its hard to enforce anything. kwim? am I just babbling?:giggle:

No, you're not babbling. Sometimes I feel like I am, though.:giggle: And I agree that it has to be hard for our mods/admins to find that balance in keeping this a nice place for everyone & at the same times making & enforcing rules. But sometimes you have to know when to take it back down a notch, kwim? I know I have to make myself do that a lot with my daughter, to really think about my actions and whether or not a rule is really a fair one/or can be a little more lenient to allow her to grow & not be so restricted if it's not necessary. Now I might be babbling. Well I guess I'll go exercise since this thread doesn't seem to be a lively discussion atm.