Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WHY?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395232)

CrunchyMama0607 04-14-2008 01:29 PM

WHY?!

Do we KEEP getting thrush?! :sadno: :fit: :reaction: :gah: I don't understand! I THINK its b/c I've been eating alot of sugars and yeast-heavy breads lately....sigh. Just needed to vent and maybe an answer. :thanks:

imamama3 04-14-2008 04:01 PM

Re: WHY?!

Sorr you're having such a tough time! D oyou wear a clean bra every day? Do you use a clean towel after every shower? I did this when bfing all of my babies and - knock wood - no thrush yet!

flobee76 04-14-2008 04:05 PM

Hey mama- some are just prone to candida. Have you tried a candida cleanse? Also, I would suggest (if you haven't already started) to take probiotics and GSE and eat PLAIN yogurt sweetened w/ UNREFINED sweeteners or unsweetened applesauce.

Also, yeast (as in bread) doesn't cause yeast. It's the refined sugars and flours (white sugar & white flour)that can cause yeast.

If you can't stay away from sweets, stick w/ unrefined sweetners like honey, rapidura or sucanat, molasses, or fruit.

amybabya 04-14-2008 04:13 PM

Cut back on sugars and take acidophilus or eat yogurt on a regular basis. Are you taking an antibiotic? If so, eat yogurt 2x a day. That is what I do. Also, if you can, go braless as much as possible till you stop getting it. My boobies don’t leak so I can do that.

lydiamom 04-14-2008 04:33 PM

oh mama i'm right there with you! :hugs: I had it for 6 months with dd1 and got it 2 weeks ago with dd2. it really sucks!! if you find a miracle cure/prevention, clue me in!

CrunchyMama0607 04-15-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imamama3 (Post 3318539)
Sorr you're having such a tough time! D oyou wear a clean bra every day? Do you use a clean towel after every shower? I did this when bfing all of my babies and - knock wood - no thrush yet!

No :blush: I only have 2 bra's that fit me :cry: And I don't have time to wash towels everyday but I'll work on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flobee76 (Post 3318578)
Hey mama- some are just prone to candida. Have you tried a candida cleanse? Also, I would suggest (if you haven't already started) to take probiotics and GSE and eat PLAIN yogurt sweetened w/ UNREFINED sweeteners or unsweetened applesauce.

Also, yeast (as in bread) doesn't cause yeast. It's the refined sugars and flours (white sugar & white flour)that can cause yeast.

If you can't stay away from sweets, stick w/ unrefined sweetners like honey, rapidura or sucanat, molasses, or fruit.

Thanx momma! :goodvibes: I'm going to get some probiotics asap!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amybabya (Post 3318659)
Cut back on sugars and take acidophilus or eat yogurt on a regular basis. Are you taking an antibiotic? If so, eat yogurt 2x a day. That is what I do. Also, if you can, go braless as much as possible till you stop getting it. My boobies donít leak so I can do that.

mine just started leaking again :( but ill do the braless thing :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lydiamom (Post 3318831)
oh mama i'm right there with you! :hugs: I had it for 6 months with dd1 and got it 2 weeks ago with dd2. it really sucks!! if you find a miracle cure/prevention, clue me in!

:hugs: im sorry momma, that really sucks! i hope yours gets better soon :hugs:

krickison 04-15-2008 12:09 PM

When you wash your bra and towels make sure you are washing in HOT you could boil your bra. You wont kill the yeast if you wash in less than hot water. Also since you havent got the time to wash your bra daily try using pads so that you arent touching the bra. If you use disposibles then you can toss them after each feed. Use a new towel each time you shower/bath I know it makes a lot of laundry but it would be worth it to get rid of the thrush. HTH

ashleykaymay 04-15-2008 12:12 PM

i saw some raw silk and bamboo fleece nursing pads...it says they are supposed to help with mamas who can't beat infections like these...i am not sure since i never used them but maybe they will help! they are on homemade mama's hyena cart.

threekstrio 04-15-2008 12:26 PM

You need to use Gentian Violet mama. You can buy it at some drug stores although I had to visit about 10 different ones before I found. Call around. It is very messy to use but it does work. It works WONDERS!!!

Also you can add Tea Tree Oil to the water when you're washing your bras/nursing pads as it is in antifungal.

:hugs:

Quiteria 04-15-2008 12:32 PM

The only thing that has worked for us is hitting it hard all at once--
no sugar or wheat (or at least as minimal as possible...for example, I ate lots of oatmeal, which is usually out for someone with a gluten allergy, but close enough to gluten-free for thrush)
lots of probiotics
something topical (gentian violet or monostat...nystatin is a joke)
diflucan for 2 wks...mom and all nurselings (even if someone is asymptomatic, treat everyone together for the same duration!)
and yes, a clean towel and bra...I bought a pack of men's white Hanes t-shirts/undershirts that I could wash with the towels, and just wore those braless at home

grapefruit seed extract is another option orally. Oh...disinfect your own toothbrush while you're at it.

also, try kellymom.com...there's good info there