Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I was so irritated (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395607)

shelbell 04-14-2008 07:04 PM

I was so irritated

At dd's four month check up (I'm still worked up 3 months later) they call us in at the pedi's and go over what they're doing and all that for the appointment and then hand us our sheet on this visits developmental milestones that should be met. One of the items was "gleefully acknowledges bottle." At the time, I was mildly irritated but the more I thought about it the angrier I got. My baby is breastfed and yes she gleefully acknowledges her "milkies", not a bottle. I thought it should have said gleefully acknowledges feedings or bottle / breast. I was so ticked I called to speak to someone about it. I felt that as a pedi they should recommend bf'ing as much as possible. The person I spoke too thought I was an idiot and said they just order the handouts in bulk and don't write them up themselves. Ugh! Would you have been ticked too or am I too oversensitive?

dmj 04-14-2008 07:08 PM

Re: I was so irritated

As a society we need to be more sensative to these kinds of things. As a bfing mom I always notice those kinds of things as well.

skyericsson 04-14-2008 08:38 PM

yeah i noticed that and it's annoying.....and i let it roll off my aura ....:yoga:

a kind of acquaintance said to me when DS was about 5 mths old (they have a DS 1mth younger) "Is he holding a bottle?" and i said "No" and she looked at me like :jawdrop: and said "oh our son does"... ok...:dunno: So i look at her and said, well he CAN hold anything in his hands and switch it from hand to hand BUT he is bf so he doesn't hold BOTTLES...:giggle:

funny she still seemed to not get it, as if my son was missing some amazing milestone:headscratch: ...Ummm sorry IMO holding a bottle while i watch him eat :yuck:... no thanks, i'll skip that "milestone" kwim??

so anywho ... i hear ya it can be annoying. I have nothing against bottle feeding persay but it's not for us ~~ every now and then i may pump but the bottle of breastmilk becomes a toy because DS will only take his "nay-nay" from the tap:giggle2: :lostit:

:hugs: :goodvibes:

remrath 04-14-2008 10:33 PM

Kinda the same way I get irritated that after a year the milestone stuff says "no bottles! only cups" :headscratch: Um, well I only give her a bottle once every couple of weeks or so and so I'll only intrduce a cup about that often so it's going to take her quite a while. Especially since we've introduced a sippy cup a few times and she hates it. So maybe I should stop BF and start bottle feeding so that by one year she will have adapted to a sippy cup and will oh thank God have passed that milestone!

I don't think you're being too sensitive. You should have heard the milestones they somehow expected from my LO at her 6 mo. checkup. Some people just don't get it. :hugs:

foxygoober 04-15-2008 05:07 AM

My lo is bottle fed at the sitters. . .he does not gleefully take the bottle. He'll fight off the bottle until he realizes he can't eat any other way :-(
He gleefully takes the breast though and will laugh and give me smiles :)

foxygoober 04-15-2008 05:08 AM

I wonder how I would reply to that check off sheet?
It also gets me when they ask how many ounces the kid is eating. Like I really have a clue?? I can't even remember how many times he eats at night :p

shelbell 04-15-2008 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remrath (Post 3321940)
Kinda the same way I get irritated that after a year the milestone stuff says "no bottles! only cups" :headscratch: Um, well I only give her a bottle once every couple of weeks or so and so I'll only intrduce a cup about that often so it's going to take her quite a while. Especially since we've introduced a sippy cup a few times and she hates it. So maybe I should stop BF and start bottle feeding so that by one year she will have adapted to a sippy cup and will oh thank God have passed that milestone!

I don't think you're being too sensitive. You should have heard the milestones they somehow expected from my LO at her 6 mo. checkup. Some people just don't get it. :hugs:

What did they expect at 6mo?

shelbell 04-15-2008 06:18 AM

Thanks everyone. Makes me feel better that someone else gets it!

zenmamma 04-15-2008 06:25 AM

I would have been upset too, luckily, our pedi is very pro breastfeeding and most of our handouts mention breast and not bottle. This is the first pedi we have ever had that has done this. Now, they may give the bottle fed kids different hand outs? I'm not sure, but I know every checklist we have had has mentioned nursing and how long they do it, not how many ounces they take in, ect...
You had every right to be annoyed, and good for you for bringing it up.:thumbsup:

ajprosek 04-15-2008 07:21 AM

I really wish they kept the breastfed sticker they put on thier bassinet in the hospital on their chart in the ped's office. Everytime I take her in they ask how many ounces, and I tell him she eats about 10-15 mins every hour or so, "so you're breastfeeding?" nope I just open the fridge and let her take what she wants. When she had her cold they said to offer Pedilyte between feedings, she was snacking every 1/2 hour to hour, when am I suposed to give her the Pedilyte. Sometimes I think they just don't get it.