Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lump in breast...suspicious... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39603)

greeneyedambe 09-08-2006 10:03 PM

Lump in breast...suspicious...

Hi all! I have noticed a lump in my breast over the past few weeks. It is on my right breast kinda on the outer upper edge where my breast connects with my chest. I have shrugged it off as backed up milk b/c ds has always preferred the other side much more but now I am getting worried. When I massage it or squeeze it, I get out some milk. It doesn't hurt until I start messing with it. I massage it while ds is nursing but it never seems to go completely away. It is not noticable all the time but definately more sometimes than others?!? Any input/advice is needed. I am not sure what is going on with it but am starting to get worried. I am only 23 and would think that my chances of breast cancer would be pretty slim seeing as how there is no family history. Please help me!

Thanks in Advance!
Amber

Hayley 09-08-2006 10:12 PM

Re: Lump in breast...suspicious...

I just wanted to let you know that if it was something to worry about (not that it isn't now) it would not HURT. at least that is whst i have been told over and over. but get it checked. also how old is your bfing child? don't let him choose which side he bf's from I did and learnd that ds had torticollis.

greeneyedambe 09-08-2006 10:31 PM

:goodvibes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahs_mommie
also how old is your bfing child? don't let him choose which side he bf's from I did and learnd that ds had torticollis.

My ds is 9 months old. I don't let him choose which side to nurse from ever. I just meant that he tends to want to go for that breast first. If I have to I trick him and hold him like he is nursing on the left side but slip the right 'boo' in his mouth. LOL. What is torticollis?

BTW, I am in North Carolina too!

Kimmyann 09-09-2006 05:02 PM

It could be a number of things including a galactoceles (milk-filled cysts) but you should really get it checked out to be sure. I am not saying its cancer but people even younger than 23 get breast cancer.
Good Luck.

punkmama3 09-10-2006 05:34 PM

It could be a milk cyst, or in my case it was actually an absessed hair folicle. I have to have the spot removed surgically, which sucks, but I'm hoping it won't happen again.
I say get it checked out. I had someone tell me mine was a milk cyst, and obviously, it wasn't. For your own peice of mind, ask your doc :thumbsup:

Zan 09-10-2006 05:50 PM

I agree that you should get it checked out b/c your concerned about it, you're not sure what it is and your experiencing pain/discomfort.

Keep us posted!

:hugs:

odenata 09-10-2006 06:57 PM

I would definitely get it checked out - I actually just went through this myself. If it is related in some way to milk back-up, it could develop into mastitis, and if it isn't, you'll probably want to have an ultrasound on it to confirm what it is.

What happened for me was that after confirming it wasn't mastitis, I was sent in for an ultrasound and mammogram. Those found calcification, which is caused by many things, but can be a sign of cancer, so I had a core biopsy (which sounds bad but doesn't hurt and is a simple procedure). Everything was fine.

Really, cancer is probably the least likely thing for this to be, but it's better to have it checked out and put your mind at rest.

bgjmhg03 09-11-2006 12:28 PM

Yup, definitely get it checked out. I had one of those and it ended up being a milk-filled cyst as well, but it's always good to get those things checked. I had so much peace of mind once I had mine taken care of. Keep us updated!