Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   my Dh and extended BF (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396181)

mommyto2girls 04-15-2008 11:14 AM

my Dh and extended BF

ok my DH is great with BF up untill 13 months (yup that's his magic number)

but at the same time...he'd rather her wean on her own even though he doesn't want her to BF:headscratch:

I asked him...how long do you think that COULD be....he said maybe a year or more...so he knows it could be a while till she's full weaned

he doesn't believe that extended BF is benificial at all, but at the same time knows it could be hard on her if I did wean her now...she's almost 14 months

(and honestly I think I'm getting close to what I'm comfy with but who knows it could still change)

I'm not sure where I was going with all that but anyways just wanted to share I guesse

Calideedle 04-15-2008 11:27 AM

Re: my Dh and extended BF

Well benefits DO NOT magically stop at whatever age someone says BFing is no longer needed :rolleyes:

I personally think 14months is still way to young to be made to wean. Thats my :2cents:

elioraimmanuel 04-15-2008 01:11 PM

DS was 3 in March and is still going strong. He just love nursing. Extended BFing does have great benefits. It provides immunities to flu, cold and other communicable things. DS just doesn't get sick like my other 2 or my friend's children. He may catch a little cold, but he's able to fight it quickly and effectively. When oldest DD was in preschool she never caught the things that the other kids did. She never got rotavirus, chicken pox (even though I put her in the tub w/her infected cousin), foot and mouth, nothing! Even now she rarely gets sick. In fact, I couldn't give that kid the pox until she was 6!

In contrast, I had to wean DD #2 at 18 months because I became pg and it was soooo painful. Her immunities are just not like the other two!

KatieJD334 04-15-2008 05:47 PM

First off, please show him the sticky on extended breastfeeding at the top of the breastfeeding support board. Next, explain to him that the benefits for breastfeeding past one greatly increase, since your little one is more likely to be exposed to illnesses since they're out exploring the world, and the antibodies in your breastmilk will help her. I'd flat out ask him his hangups, and then explain that he needs to get over them instead of imposing them on your child.

SMKelley 04-15-2008 05:51 PM

My opinion on the matter is that as long as HE doesn't have to breastfeed her, he doesn't get much of a vote.

byumommy 04-15-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMKelley (Post 3329684)
My opinion on the matter is that as long as HE doesn't have to breastfeed her, he doesn't get much of a vote.

:yeahthat:

mommyto2girls 04-15-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elioraimmanuel (Post 3326934)
DS was 3 in March and is still going strong. He just love nursing. Extended BFing does have great benefits. It provides immunities to flu, cold and other communicable things. DS just doesn't get sick like my other 2 or my friend's children. He may catch a little cold, but he's able to fight it quickly and effectively. When oldest DD was in preschool she never caught the things that the other kids did. She never got rotavirus, chicken pox (even though I put her in the tub w/her infected cousin), foot and mouth, nothing! Even now she rarely gets sick. In fact, I couldn't give that kid the pox until she was 6!

In contrast, I had to wean DD #2 at 18 months because I became pg and it was soooo painful. Her immunities are just not like the other two!

just want to say I know the benifites and I did have him read the sticky...(I think that is why he decided child lead weaning is better)

also though some kids/babies are just sicker then others...my oldest has hardly been sick her whole life (she's 3 1/2 now) and my youngest on the other hand seems to catch everything (and like I said she's still nursing)

and he knows that it's not up to him, I told him in Feb it wasn't up to him
ticked him off but he's dealing with it

remrath 04-15-2008 08:07 PM

:hugs: sorry you two don't see eye to eye on this :hugs:

mommy2bugnbugga 04-16-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMKelley (Post 3329684)

This is what I told my dh...he told me he wants me to wean my son by 12 months and I told him if JJ wants to nurse, he will get to nurse until HE is ready to stop, not some magic number.

Lyndzee 04-16-2008 02:40 PM

I am having the exact same problem! My hubby would like to have her weaned before 14 months (she is 10 1/2 now). I would like to keep going until she is at least 2.