Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BF Poop Everywhere! What did I do wrong? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3971)

regripley 05-06-2006 02:59 PM

BF Poop Everywhere! What did I do wrong?

I started CDing this morning. :mrgreen: I happily put CDs on my toddler and on my 5 month old. My 5 month old dd is EBF and she is still pooping only once every few days. So when she goes -- it is BIG. Well in our very first CD, she had her first poop for days. I forgot to use a liner :banghead: . But I don't think the liner would have mattered -- there was BF poop everywhere - her thighs, her back, etc. I know it was big -- but why did it leak like this? I was using a Snap-Ez pocket, with an insert -- but the absorbancy wasn't the issue. The Snap-Ez fits nicely, so I don't think it is the wrong size. What can I do to prevent this sort of mess? Thanks!

SheilaJoy 05-06-2006 03:11 PM

Re: BF Poop Everywhere! What did I do wrong?

I wish I could help you!! There is no diaper that always contains the infamous liquidy bf poo. You probably didn't do anything wrong, because if it was a big poo, it was simply destiny. With sposies, it happened every single time for us!! :yuck:

hollyhobby30 05-06-2006 03:49 PM

BF poo can be rather explosive. Kissaluvs are good at helping to keep them somewhat contained. I know at newborn stages they work pretty well. Sometimes it's just one of those things. When they gotta go.....the GO!!!!

rebyell 05-06-2006 03:50 PM

I have only CD'd a toddler, but have heard pockets don't always do so well with BF poo. Fitteds with a cover have 2 layers (some even have gussets) to get through, maybe you have some of those to try next? I think that is what I am going to use for the BF stage.

raceNzanesmom 05-06-2006 05:20 PM

I agree. Sometimes pockets and AIOs just don't have enough to catch it all- esp when the poop is huge. One thing I found helps is to make sure the thighs are snug, but give a little room in the waist. Not loose, but not too tight. If I pull the dipe too tight then there's no air room in the butt to hold the poop so it squishes out everywhere, same with a dipe that's getting to small- does that make sense??

christinewith4 05-06-2006 06:29 PM

I have a 3mth old and a 2yr old in cloth.... (about 2mths now)
3mth old is EBF:
We use AIO's or covers w/ some sort of "liner" such as LL pocket diapers insert, a soaker, or even just a flat folded in 3rds. Now sometimes the BF poo doesnt stay on the "liner" & gets on the diaper or cover itself, but I dont think we have had any poo leaks. Or sometimes I use fitteds with a pull on cover.

And in case you dont know yet, since you are new to CDing, you can wash your diapers, covers, etc and then hang them in the sun and any/all stains just magically disappear! I was skeptical of that one until I tried it. :) I had some that he REALLY stained BAD, they were BRIGHT yellow stains & I thought: Sun? Yeah right. BUT I put them out & within a couple hours when I went back out to ck ALL the stains were gone! (Just figured I'd share...) :)
WELCOME!

For The Love Of Cloth 05-06-2006 06:47 PM

The other good thing is no need to prerinse BF poo!

roseselene 05-06-2006 07:28 PM

I agree that sometimes there is just nothing that will contain that explosive poo. Especially when it is 3-4 days worth. DS used to do that, he would only go every 4 days and nothing I did would keep it in. *technically* it would stay in the diaper and then i would lay him down to change him and the act of laying it down would displace the poo up his back. Yes, I know...too much information...but I think you didn't do anything wrong.
Amy

1acoyle3 05-06-2006 08:27 PM

I have never had a blow-out with bummis sww, but I don't think he has gone longer then two days without a poop. So, maybe those would not hold it either. I have to say though, that I had a lot ebf poo leaks with pockets.

BeedieWeedieB 05-06-2006 08:49 PM

Hmmm Ive never had a ebf poo leak yet with this guy, 3 months and counting. He does the same thing holds it for a few days and then goes all over, his longest was 8 days!! I have opened a few that we right at the edges and had I waited too long uh oh. Now with his big brother in sposies at that stage I had some nasty messes.
Oh and we only use pockets here, but my guy has chunky thighs so they are always snug fitting there as a pp suggested.

heidi