Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Giving baby water? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39804)

Emma 09-09-2006 04:06 PM

Giving baby water?

My supervisor keeps telling me that I need to give DD water in addition to breastmilk. She nursed her 3 kids and gave them water. She says it helps clean out the kidneys and liver. I don't think Ivy needs anything else. Should I be giving her water?

tessa1002 09-09-2006 04:13 PM

Re: Giving baby water?

She doesn't need water if she's nursing alright. Babies under 6 months can actually get water intoxication syndrome from too much water. I'd stick to just the breastmilk for now.

Prettylocks 09-09-2006 04:16 PM

Nope. She only needs breastmilk till six months. Do you have a LLL? Great support!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 09-09-2006 04:20 PM

they do not need water while their BF, you can give her an oz if you'd like but she is getting all she needs from your body:thumbsup:

mama23boys 09-09-2006 04:31 PM

she dosent need any water at all. joe is 8months and rarely gets water or even food. :)

dirtdartwife 09-09-2006 04:36 PM

I didn't start giving my babies water until they were past 6 months except for my last one. And my last one was because we moved out into the desert right after she was born, so that dry heat was something to watch. But even then, it wasn't but more than an ounce or two WHEN she'd take the bottle. otherwise, it was nursing.

don't worry... if your little one is peeing normally, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Timetodance 09-09-2006 06:19 PM

No. My ped said I could give her water on really hot days if I thought she needed it. So I didn't, I just nursed her more.

Giveing them water was a thing they used to reccomend 20 years ago. Along with sugar water before your milk came in.:yuck:

Lisa-Rachelle 09-09-2006 06:50 PM

My grandmother tells me the SAME exact thing. Of course, this coming from a woman who fed her children Kyro syrup and powdered milk...bluck.
I don't think babies need anything in addition to breastmilk until they are at least 6 months old. Remember that breastmilk contains water, so your baby IS getting something! Just acknowledge the advice and then do what you feel in your heart.

Hayley 09-09-2006 06:54 PM

ITA only BM for babies under 6 months

HTH:goodvibes:

She is super cute Emma!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessa1002
She doesn't need water if she's nursing alright. Babies under 6 months can actually get water intoxication syndrome from too much water. I'd stick to just the breastmilk for now.

Lasciate 09-10-2006 01:45 AM

I didn't give my daughter water until she started on solids.