Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   HELP me stop the... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39817)

westend 09-09-2006 04:33 PM

HELP me stop the...

POOOOP. OMG my daughter is getting over a stomach virus, we started with vomit, now its just water poops, prefolds dont hold it in, wool covers with tight legs, just fill up and drip, right now there is no diaper to hold this stuff. PLEASE help me help her have somewhat solid poos.

I know this is a TMI kinda post but I am completely dumbfounded, I am sick of cleaning up off the carpet and such!

HELP :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Julesmom23girls 09-09-2006 06:36 PM

Re: HELP me stop the...

How old is she? If she is old enough for solids try the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, applesauce(natural, no extra sweetner), and toast. But stay away from apple juice, the sugar in juice only feeds the virus and causes more diarrhea. If she is still vomiting us clear liquids only, broth, juice(again not apple, white grape is best), water.

Main thing is to make sure DD doesn't get dehydrated which can happen relatively fast, hours not days.

Sorry I don't know how to tell you to keep it contained.

Try to get some banana in her fast that always keeps my DD regular.

HTH!!!

tessa1002 09-09-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
How old is she? If she is old enough for solids try the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, applesauce(natural, no extra sweetner), and toast. But stay away from apple juice, the sugar in juice only feeds the virus and causes more diarrhea. If she is still vomiting us clear liquids only, broth, juice(again not apple, white grape is best), water.

Main thing is to make sure DD doesn't get dehydrated which can happen relatively fast, hours not days.

Sorry I don't know how to tell you to keep it contained.

Try to get some banana in her fast that always keeps my DD regular.

HTH!!!

:yeahthat:

DS was having really soft, yucky, and hard to clean up poop and I put him on the BRAT diet and cut out his juice and it worked wonders. I first tried it without cutting out his juice because he doesn't drink much anyways, its all dilluted and 70% water, and it didn't really do too much. However, when I totally cut out the juice it made a big difference. It makes everything so much eaiser for both of us, especially since he's been taking off his diaper right after he poops lately!

katzmark06 09-09-2006 07:34 PM

honestly pull out the sposies,,,

halyled 09-09-2006 07:35 PM

I've read that yogurt is also being recommended to make it the BRATY diet nowdays. Something about the good bacteria in it regulating the bowels.

When my oldest DS was about a year old he went through a stomach virus like that. It lasted about 7 days and I was starting to worry that he'd get dehydrated. The doc wound up suggesting an anti-diarrheal medication for him that was over the counter but you usually had to ask for it at the pharmacy. Unfortunately...I can't remember the name of it. It was a white bottle with a red label, and the liquid was kind of brownish. Have you called your ped. to see what they suggest, if anything?

Hope she gets better soon. As for containing the mess...I've found that using a Gerber birdseye flat as a doubler in my prefolds helps as far as absorbency. Don't know if it would help in this case, though. Good luck.

westend 09-10-2006 06:57 AM

Thanks, so far we have done the BRAT diet, she HATES juice, so all we drink here is water ans milk, milk we have cut out for now.

I have started with the pepto bismal, just a teaspoon every 45 mins.. Sh eis 18 mths.

Another big mess this morning, I am gonna go get sposies, first time in 8 mths. SIGH

I will check back later THANKS ALOT!!

Julesmom23girls 09-10-2006 10:02 PM

Any update mamma. I hope things have settled down

BeedieWeedieB 09-11-2006 07:52 AM

I'm not so sure about the pepto or anything to stop the poops. If the cause of it is some virus, you want the body to flush it out which it is trying to do. If it is an overgrowth of bateria that is normally in the gut, then the doc would give you antibiotics or you can try baby acidophilus.

When my son had watery poops this summer, lasted about 2 weeks and was about 5 times a day, although we didnt have to many leaks luckily, I used some baby acidopholus as was suggested to me here to help rebalance his normal gut bacteria and it worked wonders, now I use it whenever he feels like eating solids to help keep him balanced from blocking up too.

halyled 09-11-2006 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westend
Thanks, so far we have done the BRAT diet, she HATES juice, so all we drink here is water ans milk, milk we have cut out for now.

I have started with the pepto bismal, just a teaspoon every 45 mins.. Sh eis 18 mths.

Another big mess this morning, I am gonna go get sposies, first time in 8 mths. SIGH

I will check back later THANKS ALOT!!

I'm not sure pepto is such a great idea. If it's children's pepto, it won't help diarrhea, b/c it's just an antacid. If it's grownup pepto, that has an ingredient in it that's in the aspirin family (salicylate), and according to the Pepto site, it isn't recommended for children under 12 anymore.

geckoed 09-12-2006 05:03 AM

hmmm pepto? for a toddler? They said not to give it to my (BIG) 8 year old. Be caeful.
IMO sposies leak WAY worse. A fitted dipe with gussets will help, or a cloth swim diaper over her prefold. Or (ick) those stupid plastic pants really DO hold in EVERYTHING.