Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What does back labor feel like? Seriously. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398521)

meamom 04-17-2008 12:20 PM

What does back labor feel like? Seriously.

With my first DD, I was apparently in labor all day and didn't know it. I went to the hospital after my water broke and was 7 cm.

So now I'm pregnant again (30 weeks) and these last two days my back has been killing me. My sister thinks it's back labor but I think it's just from lifting and chasing my 15 month old.

It just aches and hurts all the time like I am constantly sitting in a bad position.

Does this sound like back labor?

rawheid 04-17-2008 12:42 PM

Re: What does back labor feel like? Seriously.

My back labour was intense aching in my back, but that was during active labour so.....I don't know if I'm any help

Myles_104 04-17-2008 12:56 PM

My back labour felt like I tore a muscle in my back, and it sent shooting pains down my legs (mostly during active labour). While my labour was just begining (like contrax 15 or more minutes spaced) it felt like someone was poking me in the back with a sharp stick with the contractions, and just a little achey in between..
I would call your ob, and if its not labour, then maybe see a chiropractor, could be your back needs adjusting

babyholic 04-17-2008 01:13 PM

My back labor felt like hyper intense period cramps. I always hurt in my back with my cramps. It would come and go with the contractions, but it was absolutely unbearable during active labor unless hubby was doing counter-pressure right on my lower back. (His arms were shaking after 4 hours of helping me.) As long as he did the counterpressure, my labor was pain free!

My second back labor wasn't as bad, I was in a birth pool and did pelvic rocking to get the baby to turn around. It was my easiest birth.

Also if you are in labor, the pain is so intense in your back, you don't notice the tightening in the belly. If you check your belly during the back pains and it's tight during the peak of the pains, you might be having back labor.

~happy2Bamommy~ 04-17-2008 01:53 PM

back labor hurt but the pain eased by rocking on hands and knees.I've never gone into labor w/ teh back hurting first.always have contractions in front that wrap around and then had actual back labor once (w/ my second) but you still contract in front as well.

Are you getting enough to drink? I know your kidneys can REALLY make your lower back ache if you aren't getting enough fluids!

MommaBunny 04-17-2008 02:09 PM

For me, it was a sharp pain that started in my tailbone and seemed to pull upward when I had contractions. It almost-but-not-quite went away in between contractions. I had so much back pain throughout pregnancy that I didn't notice it being much better or worse in the immediate time preceding labor.

iamawahm 04-17-2008 02:15 PM

I had back labor with all three of mine and it was so bad. Felt like my lower back was broke or something. Hurt to walk and each pregnancy was worse than the first.

rawheid 04-17-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyholic (Post 3347520)
Also if you are in labor, the pain is so intense in your back, you don't notice the tightening in the belly.

It's funny you say this because all I remember from my labour was intense back pains. I don't remember anything happening up front.

ClothDiaperingMama 04-17-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyholic (Post 3347520)
It would come and go with the contractions, but it was absolutely unbearable during active labor.

Also if you are in labor, the pain is so intense in your back, you don't notice the tightening in the belly. If you check your belly during the back pains and it's tight during the peak of the pains, you might be having back labor.

That is also true for me. I would feel the contractions/tightening IN my lower back. It would sometimes alternate between my tummy and back. As labor progressed... it was totally unbearable! I will NEVER have an unmedicated back labor again. :goodvibes: My baby was huge though, stuck, and she was sunny side up. She came out face first! VERY painful!:cry:

Mamatoabunch 04-17-2008 05:16 PM

For me they start as lower backache moving around my sides to front w/ tummy tightening.