Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   CAn a BF baby overeat? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39861)

MistyP 09-09-2006 08:39 PM

CAn a BF baby overeat?

My 3 week old DD has been spitting up large amounts several times today and last night. She is wanting to eat more often it seems like, some times every hr (usually she is every 2 hrs in the day and about every 3 hrs at night) I thought she was just probably going through a growth spurt but she is spitting up so much! She burps good. Sometimes it is when she burps and sometimes it is a while after. It isn't like fermented, sometimes it is more watery than just the milk. It is coming out her nose too:headscratch: Poor baby! Sometimes she just cries and cries and then it comes up. She loves to BF and has grown a lot, from 7-15 to 8-12 in 2 1/2 weeks. Gas drops seem to help some when she is fussy after eating but she will still spit up sometimes, gripe water has been useless.

DD #1 spit up a lot. She wouldn't latch on so she had EBM and just a little extra would have her spitting up like this.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

Leininger27 09-09-2006 08:43 PM

Re: CAn a BF baby overeat?

I would say your baby has reflux. I have 3 out of my 4 that had reflux and that is exactly what it is like. Also all of mine were diagnosed about 3-4 weeks old. HTH!

littlebean 09-09-2006 08:58 PM

My ds is 4 weeks old and was just diagnosed with reflux. Sounds exactly like what you are experiencing :(

AngelMommy 09-09-2006 09:02 PM

As the above posts said, it sounds like reflux. When a baby has reflux, they want to nurse more often, because nursing makes their tummy feel better, but as soon as they stop, they spit up, and feel badly again, and want to nurse again. My DS nursed every 20 min. until we got his reflux under control. One thing they suggested was to keep him upright 20 minutes (on my shoulder) after nursing. that did help some. If you call your pedi, they should be able to get you something to help! It took us three diff. meds, but we did get it under control and he outgrew it by 10 months old. Good luck!

somersocial 09-09-2006 09:44 PM

Reflux! Have it checked out mama! It took us longer to diagnose our dd because she didn't spit up which is "silent reflux". A whole new baby now that she is on Zantac - which by the way has a horrible bitter mint taste - I had my dr. write a script to a "compounding pharmacy" that makes scripts from scratch and can flavor it with bananas or marshmellow so its not so harsh.....

Good luck mama - poor baby!:hugs:

Edited to add that my dr says that the frequent nursing helps keep the burning feeling from the throat from the stomach acids! Studies are showing that untreated reflux is being linked with athsma and ENT problems down the road....

MistyP 09-10-2006 03:23 PM

Thanks! My other 2 had reflux (one spitty, one silent) unfortunately the meds didn't really seem to help so I don't know if I even want to bother with meds with this one.

I will just need to work on keeping her up after eating and see how that goes. We don't have regular insurance so all Dr visits are at least $120 out of pocket which is fine if we need to go, but I don't really want to spend money to find out what I already know. I will probably see how she does and go from there.

ailurus 09-10-2006 10:18 PM

My dd did this too until I read about fore/hind milk imbalances. Then I tried nursing her only on one breast at a time and it has really helped. She still spits up a bit and has only thrown up twice in the past month. Before when she got both boobs, she would eat and eat and eat and then throw up. It also seems to have helped a bit with her gas.

dessismama 09-10-2006 11:41 PM

My DS1 had the same thing happen to him. He had reflux and multiple food allergies but even with these problems, he was huge. He is now very thin and tall.

Your baby is not overeating!!

MistyP 09-11-2006 02:43 PM

Last night was bad, I was up with her from 12 to 2 and then up again at 4 am. She has been very sleepy today. I think she is just exhausted. She has actually napped well in the swing (it's turned off) I tried that before and she wouldn't stay asleep. She will fall asleep in the sling so I then lay her down in the swing so she is still sitting up a bit. I have made sure to feed her every 2-3 hrs. She has only had one bad episode of crying/spitting up since this morning.

I hope tonight is better!!

AngelMommy 09-11-2006 03:01 PM

My pedi said that you could give plain mylanta to help. We were giving this in addition to his Rx meds, but DS had extremely bad reflux. Zantac didn't work for him. Mylanta is over the counter and doesn't require a dr. visit, if you want to try that. Make sure you get the original (any flavor, DS liked cherry). Here is information on dosage from http://www.cryingoverspiltmilk.co.nz...thDosages.htm:

ACID REDUCING MEDICATIONS

Mylanta Original (Trade Name)
Use: Antacid with antiflatulent

Mylanta is a liquid antacid, which works by neutralising acid in the stomach so that reflux burns less. It can provide quick relief, and therefore many parents find it useful when a baby is suffering from reflux pain. It will not decrease spilling or vomiting.

Mylanta is not suitable for long-term treatment of reflux, and has a high aluminium load. It does not reduce stomach acid quantities enough to be the complete treatment for babies with significant reflux symptoms (intense discomfort, very poor sleeping or feeding patterns, respiratory symptoms such as cough or wheeze etc.) If Mylanta is required on a daily basis please seek further medical advice.

Dosage and administration:

Babies less than 3 months 2 - 4mls

Babies over 3 months 5 - 7mls

Each dose to be given no less than 4 hours apart.

Other medication should not be taken within two hours of Mylanta.

Side effects: May include diarrhoea.

HTH!!