Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What's safe to build my immune system? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400396)

hippy pippy 04-19-2008 10:45 AM

What's safe to build my immune system?

DD is 8 months, and I'm ebfing. I am always sick!! What can I do to safely build my immune system back up while nursing? Thanks!:goodvibes:

Oh, and I don't know if this will affect your answers but DD has a milk/soy protein allergy as well:banghead:

Mama5 04-19-2008 10:52 AM

Re: What's safe to build my immune system?

Garlic, vit C off the top of my head...

CrunchyMama0607 04-19-2008 10:54 AM

Chewable vitamin c tablets. You should be able to get them at walmart, in the pharmacy section. :hugs: Or if you prefer...Sunkist oranges are a great source and are delicious! :yummy:

pbjmama 04-19-2008 11:12 AM

Grapefruit seed extract.

fancyoats 04-20-2008 11:05 AM

you should check out your local health food store for probiotic pills.....they contain the helpful intestinal bacteria that is found in yogurt, but without having to actually eat the dairy. a lot of our immune system is found in our intestines, so keeping your gut healthy really really helps to keep YOU healthy.

hippy pippy 04-20-2008 07:21 PM

thanks mamas! I hadn't thought about the probiotics at all, and I'm currently giving them to my dd because she's on a antibiotic for an ear infection. What about echinacea?

pixiepunk 04-21-2008 12:09 PM

ita about the probiotics. do make sure, though, that you buy one that is not in a lactose base if your DD has a sensitivity.

things like echinacea and GSE are good for when you are actually sick, but they're not something you can just take all the time. vitamin C can be helpful, though i wouldn't recommend taking a chewable variety since it destroys your tooth enamel. it can also be a little hard on the tummy. i usually just take it if i know i've been exposed to something and i'm trying to temporarily boost my immune system to keep from getting it. same with the echinacea.

how is your diet? are you getting a good variety of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet? do you eat mostly whole grains? do you stay away from processed foods? sometimes your diet can help you more than anything. also, a good prenatal vitamin is recommended while you're nursing. i always notice a difference when i skip the vitamins for a few days.

hippy pippy 04-21-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiepunk (Post 3381521)
ita about the probiotics. do make sure, though, that you buy one that is not in a lactose base if your DD has a sensitivity.

things like echinacea and GSE are good for when you are actually sick, but they're not something you can just take all the time. vitamin C can be helpful, though i wouldn't recommend taking a chewable variety since it destroys your tooth enamel. it can also be a little hard on the tummy. i usually just take it if i know i've been exposed to something and i'm trying to temporarily boost my immune system to keep from getting it. same with the echinacea.

how is your diet? are you getting a good variety of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet? do you eat mostly whole grains? do you stay away from processed foods? sometimes your diet can help you more than anything. also, a good prenatal vitamin is recommended while you're nursing. i always notice a difference when i skip the vitamins for a few days.

Thanks Mama! Good advice! I'll look into probiotics with no lactose base. My diet's good, but could be better. It's mostly just limited and I'm getting bored with foods, so slacking a little bit when I have cravings.

angela2mama 04-22-2008 01:45 PM

emergen-c and increase your fruit and veggies