Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Chest freezer? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40043)

yaka111 09-10-2006 04:36 PM

Chest freezer?

Is it worth it? What kind is better, upright or chest? What size do you have?

I am really trying to do everything possible to save money, and I really want to start making/freezing meals so I can really stock up on food if there is a sale..kwim?

I probably wont be buying new, so any suggestions on where to look for a used one?

Mindi 09-10-2006 04:46 PM

Re: Chest freezer?

For energy wise the chest freezer is the best. I had two of them at one time and they were great! I didn't like having to dig for things but if you rotate stock you will be fine.
No help to find a used on though, sorry

FancifulFanny 09-10-2006 06:06 PM

We have an upright freezer. We bought it a couple years ago and I love it. I think I really prefer it to digging in an upright, which I have dealt with in my nanny jobs over the years. BUT...that being said, there are ways to organize chest freezers to minimize your digging.
With my upright I have door shelves like on a fridge and I love those for things like butter, bacon, sausages, etc. Then I have the shelves divided into meat types and bread and prepared meals and stocks.

What about Craig's List for a used one...or little local papers. We have a sales paper here in Maine called Uncle Henrys. You can sell just about anything in Uncle Henrys. lol

angel0123 09-10-2006 07:03 PM

We just got a chest freezer... dh's supplys us with venison in the fall is it is a big $$ saver. Ours is 20 cu ft and we got it from freecycle. Its only 12 yrs old (major scrore!)
I want to prepare 30 meals ahead for when the new baby comes so I don't have cook (but reheat) for a month.

BeedieWeedieB 09-10-2006 07:07 PM

We dont have one yet, I keep checking our craigs list and the cheapcycle yahoo group here but I have heard from my FIL to not to go with a chest style as he has known kids in the family to fall in. I dont want to chance an accident or a mean spirited older sibling personally.

heidi

FancifulFanny 09-11-2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeedieWeedieB
We dont have one yet, I keep checking our craigs list and the cheapcycle yahoo group here but I have heard from my FIL to not to go with a chest style as he has known kids in the family to fall in. I dont want to chance an accident or a mean spirited older sibling personally.

heidi

I believe there are safety locks you can put on them so kids can't get them open.

Shay 09-11-2006 04:58 PM

We have a small chest one we got when my Gram passed away. It perfect for just the two of us (3 when DSD is here) It's small enough that I don't lost things in the bottom.

DH also kills deers in the fall so we have meat all yr long.

sharebear2u 09-11-2006 06:18 PM

We have a chest freezer. DH picked it because it was cheaper AND uses less energy. We have 3 "baskets" that are like a top shelf. One or 2 came with it and then we bought the other one (or 2). I can't remember. I am NOT an organized person, but I have no problem keeping mine organized. We totally do the stocking up with a big sale and it saves up TONS of money. DH has even talked about buying a second!

One thing to think about. If you are short it will probably be a problem to get stuff off the bottom. Both DH and I are on the tallish side, so we have no problem. Now, if MIL came over (5'1") she would probably tip over and end up inside trying to get something off the bottom. :rofl:

Sherrie

PS-Try a used/reconditioned appliance store. The phone book might have listings for your area.

rowynne 09-14-2006 01:39 PM

LOL, I've been thinking about getting one too & I am 5'2" so now I know I need an upright, LOL!!

ahisma 09-14-2006 02:10 PM

We got one a few months ago at Target of all places. It was on clearance for $65! I did see another on clearance there a few weeks ago, it may be worth checking.

We use it to store fruits and veggies in...we buy local and organic during the summer and then freeze for the cold seasons.