Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   6mo old wants food - help, please (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400568)

GraceDancer 04-19-2008 02:19 PM

6mo old wants food - help, please

I've only nursed my last 3 kiddos and nursing is still relatively new to me - I know each baby is different, but this one is really different from the last two.

He wants FOOD! He sees us eat and wants some :yummy: - and it seems like he gets upset when I try to nurse him most of the time. He screamed today until I fed him about 2 jars of baby food - he refused to nurse.

The problem is constipation - he's having trouble. And he isn't nursing much when he does. He used to nurse about 10min on each side about every 4hrs. Now (if he'll take it) about 5min each side with fussing.

Do I give him something else and quit nursing? Will he pick up the nursing again after this thing - whatever it is?

My other boys ebf until about 1yr - this one is a bigger boy and completely different.

Thanks!

nathansmama 04-19-2008 03:03 PM

Re: 6mo old wants food - help, please

I would never advise quitting nursing this early.

Can you try offering the breast in new and exciting positions and places? Try in the tub, in a dark room (sometimes they are highly distracted at that age), laying down on the floor, etc.

Offer nursing before solid foods. If he doesn't accept the breast then you can feed a little solids. I probably wouldn't feed two jars in one sitting. That seems like a lot for a 6 month old. That is most likely why is his having tummy issues. Can you try pumping a little (or using stored milk) to mix in with his solids?

Offer every hour or so. Whenever you can.

Co-sleep to encourage nursing at night. Most babies will catch up on nursing at night when they are sleepy.

Good luck.

aboutachild 04-19-2008 04:30 PM

Maybe its a nursing strike?
I found this info on Le Leche League International

GraceDancer 04-19-2008 04:38 PM

Hmmm.... thanks for the LLL article!

It mentions switching deodorant or soaps... I have switched deodorant - and I don't even like the scent, but haven't wanted to buy another one. Maybe I should and see what happens??

dragondance 04-19-2008 05:14 PM

I added prunes to help with the constipation issue. My 6-month-old is gaga over food, too, and anything we are eating (if I have a glass of water she freaks out until I give her a sip from the cup). I think 6-7 months is when they start to get really distracted by the world and want to see, and start popping off the boob every couple of minutes anyway. I bet it's a lot more interesting to sit in a high chair looking around with baby food than smushed against a chest, when you're wanting to see everything. Have you tried a nursing necklace? They're supposed to help with that, somewhat. (My babe smacks me in the face a lot going for my nose, lol, so I really need to get my nursing necklace....)

bethaniemiller 04-19-2008 06:53 PM

My little guy was interested in solids at around four months, and so I started him on a little bit of rice cereal mixed with loads of breast milk. I would give him a couple of spoon-fuls while my hubby and I ate our dinner - and then let the rest of the day be about nursing only. Solid food was not an option. I would eat my meals when he was napping so it didn't "tempt" him.
Around 6 months, the little guy was going through a lot developmentally (learning to sit up, starting to scoot, etc) and he was very much disinterested in nursing - but I did not give up, and neither should you!!! This is probably just a phase. Something that I learned from my lactation consultant was that if you offer your baby more flavorful food (fruits and veggies out of a jar) that they may temporarily be more interested in that than breast milk just because it is new and different and kind of exciting. If he must have solids at this time, maybe stick to super bland foods like the rice or oatmeal mixed with breast milk. Good luck to you!! And DON'T GIVE UP!!! :thumbsup:

GraceDancer 04-20-2008 11:16 AM

Thanks, Gals!

I'm not giving up - yet! I'll try some of the suggestions and see where we go from here.

Grins,

walshsa1a 04-21-2008 01:56 PM

We've had constipation issues too after starting solids. We're now avoiding rice, apples, and bananas. We were told to stick with veggies, oat cereal, prunes, apricots, peaches, and pears.

Good luck!

GraceDancer 04-21-2008 03:18 PM

I remember the BRAT diet for diarrhea - that would be the bananas, rice cereal and applesauce...

hmmm.... hadn't thought of that.

Thanks!

naivete 04-21-2008 03:28 PM

Honestly at this age your LO should still be getting the majority of nutrients from breastmilk, not only because of constipation and dehydration but because of anemia and iron deficiency. Cereals may have a higher amount of iron in them, but only 4-7% of iron in solids are absorbed by a baby, whereas breastmilk with a lower amount of iron has 50-70% rate of absorption and the iron in breastmilk is bound to proteins which make it easier to absorb and prevent in iron deficiency.

Every time your bub eats solids you are taking something less nutritious away for something not as nutritious, for the first year breastmilk has all a baby needs and solids should be viewed as practice, but not relied on for nutrients.

I'd honestly just take away solids for good until it stops interfering with your nursing, and then reintroduce it at a slower rate, once or twice a day in small amounts.