Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lactose intolerant newborn? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400583)

Missah78 04-19-2008 02:33 PM

Lactose intolerant newborn?

Okay run with me on this one.

I had my daughter and she came out a champion nurser. My midwife was so excited at how well she nursed right after birth.

She LOVED to nurse so much that we got thrush (picture an infant that won't sleep without a boob in her mouth) when she was about 2 weeks old. We used gentian violet and she got sores in her mouth from it (something like 1% of babies do) and after this we battled for 3.5 months to get her to nurse great again. I finally had to stop nursing when she lost close to 2 pounds. It was really hard on me.

We put her on formula and it was horrible (for us both!) until we figured out she was lactose intolerant.

I had tried cutting out dairy before I stopped nursing (and peanuts, to many carbs, no broccoli, you name it) Now at 14 months old she's still severely lactose intolerant.

So, was there something else I could have done to nurse her? I'm not asking for hindsight I'm asking because I want more babies and would like to be educated before this happens again!

nathansmama 04-19-2008 02:46 PM

Re: Lactose intolerant newborn?

Hmmm....did you have antibiotics during labor or the immediate post-partum period? That is what most likely caused your thrush (not your daughter's nursing frequency, newborn babies nurse A LOT! It is their way of bringing in a full healthy milk supply and they need the sucking/ closeness). So in the future if you must take antibiotics during labor/ post-partum period be sure to drink plenty of water, eat one cup of yogurt a day, and take an acidophilus supplement during antibiotic treatment. This powder can be found at health food stores and replaces some of the natural flora that antibiotics kills off.

Did you try other treatment for the thrush?? Genitian violet is good but there are other treatment options out there if it doesn't work for you.

As far as the dairy sensitivity goes...how long did you cut dairy out of your diet? My son had a touch of this when he was younger (just made his tummy upset, I think) and I had to cut out dairy for a month before I noted a change. Now I am back on dairy full time with no problems. I just gradually re-introduced it.

Did you see LCs?? Thrush is very hard to treat and you need to take very specific measures to treat it. Changing pads often, boiling pump parts and pacifiers, medication, etc. Any good LC would have been able to help you. If you walk in and she shoves a shield at you then she probably isn't going to help much. Same thing goes if she says the word "formula" in the first two minutes. Also, as much as you want to, supplementing during thrush treatment is never a good idea. Supplementing can be a slippery slope.

Best of luck in the future.

emilysvenson 04-19-2008 03:16 PM

I don't have answers to your questions, but just wanted to point out that babies usually do not have lactose intolerance; rather, they may be sensitive to the proteins in cow's milk (lactose is the sugar). While it is common for adults to have lactose intolerance, it's very rare in babies. Just thought the clarification might help in your exploration.

I agree with the PP that there are other ways of treating thrush that might be worth looking into if this happens again.

dragondance 04-19-2008 05:16 PM

Just offering hugs--I had to stop bfing my first dd at 2 weeks and she still can't have dairy at 2.5 :cry: . But I don't think all the nursing caused the thrush--dd2 still wants to fall asleep with a boob in her mouth at almost 7 months :giggle:

Missah78 04-20-2008 12:44 PM

Nope no antiboitics my entire pregnancy and none after.

She was gassy, fussy, spitt upity from about 2 weeks on so I cut dairy out then (along with the other stuff). We seriously tried everything to get her to nurse good again until she was 4 months old and I was a mess and just couldn't try anymore.

We tried shields, pumping foremilk a bit and then nursing, pumping 10 minutes AFTER nursing and feeding her the hindmilk, the SNS, block nursing, you name it I seriously tried. I was at the LC's office every afternoon for 3.5 months checking her latch, weighing before nursing, after nursing! It was just insane. I was very determined to nurse her but by the end of the 4 months and her weight being down so much I was an emotional wreck! And then top having to bottle feed when I planned on breastfeeding it was SO hard.

csully4 04-21-2008 11:42 AM

I feel your pain of having to stop nursing before you are ready. I haven't been abl eto nurse any of my kids past 4 mo. until now. My other three ended before I was ready for different reasons. I had thrush with the second and was told to do a vinegar solution rinse on my breasts after each feeding and let them air dry. thankfully that took care of the problem and no other measures were needed. Keep positive thoughts for the next one. This is my last child and so far I have passed the 3 mo. mark and going strong. The fact that he won't suck on anything but me helps.

mhaddon 04-21-2008 11:52 AM

For the thrush this is what I did: I took probiotics and I would give ds probiotics as well. He was around 5 months- just smaller doses. I think I took like 4 pills a day. I cut back on anything that had excessive sugar in it. We did GV once and it didn't help. They naystatin didn't help much either. So I have grapefruit seed extract that I put in my OJ (3 drops) twice daily and when I washed my bras I put in GSE in the main wash and then did a vinegar/tto rinse then let them dry in the sun to rid of the yeast. I switch to disposable diapers just in case. All of this took about 3-4 weeks to get rid of it, but it did. I was very persistent and ds didn't eat as much when he had thrush which is normal. He did not have any solids as of yet durring this time either. Also, did you make sure to boil all your pump parts? Thrush could have been thriving in your breast pump reinfecting you as well. :( I did not use my pump durring this time b/c it is an expensive one so I used my older pump and got rid of it afterwards.

To prevent problems I would say take a probiotic daily and eat lots of yogurt. I would also cut back on sweets as well. Make sure you get a good latch from the start- we didn't have a great latch and we had all sorts of trouble :(

Great link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ng-thrush.html

and this has a bunch of links as well: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

Hope that helps!

naivete 04-21-2008 12:02 PM

I have to chime in that it probably wasn't lactose intolerance, especially if you're caucasian, only 2% of caucasian people have lactose intolerance and the majority of that is adults, for a caucasian baby to be lactose intolerant it is incredddibly rare. Most likely it was a sensitivity or allergy to the animal protein in dairy. And a change in diet can take 2-3 weeks to show in your milk, and it might not have even been dairy but something else you were eating, you never know unless you have tests done.

But in the rare case that it was lactose intolerance, I'll offer this. My LO actually was lactose intolerant at birth (alactasic) and couldn't have breastmilk, but thrived on lacto-free formula. It took months of him not thriving and being swollen and in pain, of testing to diagnose it. To this day he still cannot digest dairy. But what I didn't know is there are lactase enzyme drops that can be put into expressed breastmilk, I didn't have to switch to formula, I could have pumped and put the enzyme drops in, or given him a spoonful with enzyme drops and then nursed. In this case it didn't matter how much I altered my diet, because my breastmilk still had too much lactose naturally.

But I wouldn't try those unless you're actually diagnosed with it, if there's a history of you can ask for tests to be administered when the new bub is born. My littlest one is dairy sensitive, if I have dairy it gives him pretty bad gas, but cutting dairy out of my diet is enough for him since he can digest what's naturally in BM, so what affected my first son didn't affect my second.

ahblessedmama 05-07-2008 10:34 PM

I've had 3 severely colicky babies, #3 actually turned out to be allergic to milk protein, cutting dairy out entirely(nothing with milk, butter, cheese, cream of anything soup, whey, casein, etc.) for at least 2 weeks usually does the trick. You also can't cook with any of those ingredients. #3 couldn't do the "hypoallergenic" formulas either, and still can't do any dairy or "lactose free" milk. I'm cutting out dairy now(due in 2 weeks) to see if it helps the colic.
As for the thrush, maybe you were applying too much gentian violet? My midwife said to put on myself then nurse baby and it worked in 2 weeks.
Best wishes

Missah78 05-08-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naivete (Post 3381453)
I have to chime in that it probably wasn't lactose intolerance, especially if you're caucasian, only 2% of caucasian people have lactose intolerance and the majority of that is adults, for a caucasian baby to be lactose intolerant it is incredddibly rare. Most likely it was a sensitivity or allergy to the animal protein in dairy. And a change in diet can take 2-3 weeks to show in your milk, and it might not have even been dairy but something else you were eating, you never know unless you have tests done.

But in the rare case that it was lactose intolerance, I'll offer this. My LO actually was lactose intolerant at birth (alactasic) and couldn't have breastmilk, but thrived on lacto-free formula. It took months of him not thriving and being swollen and in pain, of testing to diagnose it. To this day he still cannot digest dairy. But what I didn't know is there are lactase enzyme drops that can be put into expressed breastmilk, I didn't have to switch to formula, I could have pumped and put the enzyme drops in, or given him a spoonful with enzyme drops and then nursed. In this case it didn't matter how much I altered my diet, because my breastmilk still had too much lactose naturally.

But I wouldn't try those unless you're actually diagnosed with it, if there's a history of you can ask for tests to be administered when the new bub is born. My littlest one is dairy sensitive, if I have dairy it gives him pretty bad gas, but cutting dairy out of my diet is enough for him since he can digest what's naturally in BM, so what affected my first son didn't affect my second.

It definitely IS lactose intolerance. She's now 14 months and even 1oz of dairy affects her. We haven't done any tests other than as soon as she was put on lactose free formula she was like a different baby. It's not a milk allergy because she thrived once lactose was completely cut out of her diet.