Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What Can I Eat? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401484)

argecash 04-20-2008 06:08 PM

What Can I Eat?

I am new to BF and I am confused about what I should eat. I have been told not to eat onions, broccoli, chocolate, beans, caffeine and dairy. My LO is gassy so I don't want to eat anything that will make it worse...I would prefer to eliminate things that cause the gas. Does anyone have advice on things they have eliminated or not eliminated from their diet. I don't know what to eat anymore!

Audrey

carnalcindd 04-20-2008 06:22 PM

Re: What Can I Eat?

I have been bfing for almost a year now and have found all that stuff that ppl tell you not to eat to be a complete myth. I eat whatever I want (including drinking coffee) and notice no difference in ds at all. I was so scared to drink coffee at first since he has sleep issues, but I have seen no difference whatsoever when I drink it or not.

I say eat what you want. :thumbsup:

normajean 04-20-2008 06:25 PM

I would say unless you notice a bad allergic reaction to something, eat what you want :)

armywife2002 04-20-2008 07:44 PM

eat what you want, unless something is causing a reaction. we just cut out dairy because it was causing ds skin issues, but thats all im restricting

Meri 04-20-2008 07:56 PM

Onion and brocolli are definite culprits for us--but everything else is fine. How old is your baby? Are you sure he's gassy? Some babies just have a hard time adjusting to being out in the world and people assume it's gas.

SublimeBaby 04-20-2008 11:05 PM

I had always heard that it was all a myth that foods caused adverse reactions..
not with my LO.. we started a diary and she definately reacts to:

nuts (poop turns green and suppppper gassy)
Soy- again, super gassy
Broccoli and other cruciferous veggies
tomatoes
Caffeine (gets wired and hard to get down for naps- she can handle a coke a day with no effect, but a large mug of coffee produces definate effects.)

She also moderately reacts to dairy.. but Im lactose intolerant so I stay away from it anyway.

christianethansmom 04-21-2008 12:28 AM

Every person is different. DS1 never had any reaction to anything I ate but DS2 on the other hand is sensitive to tons of things. Nuts, dairy, caffeine, etc. Keep an eye on the baby and you'll know.

HTHs

MollyJones 04-21-2008 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianethansmom (Post 3377757)
Every person is different. DS1 never had any reaction to anything I ate but DS2 on the other hand is sensitive to tons of things. Nuts, dairy, caffeine, etc. Keep an eye on the baby and you'll know.

HTHs

I could eat whatever I want w/ my first as well... But Elli is super sensitive. It's trial and error really . My hospital told me: "If it's okay with her, eat it! If not, stay away." :goodvibes:

lydiamom 04-21-2008 07:19 AM

Yeah its worth trying the food and just cur it out if you get a bad reaction. with my dd1 i could eat anything, but dd2 gets gassy with chocolate :(

JandJsmom0607 04-21-2008 09:28 AM

My DD has been EBF for a little over 6 months now. I have come to realize that nothing bothers her! Absolutely NOTHING!! She is a true nursing champ and enjoys every minute of it. I'd say if you don't see a reaction, go for it!! Eat what you like, your LO will probably thank you for it :giggle: Good luck momma!