Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Baby carriers for wearing on the back? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40197)

Roses 09-11-2006 05:59 AM

Baby carriers for wearing on the back?

I'm looking for recommendations for any type of baby carrier that can be worn on the back. I will be doing some simple day hiking this fall and want a carrier that I wear my baby on my back. I need it to be comfy so that I can hike for an hour or so without killing my shoulders. My baby is about 17 pounds right now.

Any recommendations? I really don't know much about baby wearing - I have a pouch sling that I love for wearing baby on the front and a Bjorn. But I don't know much about carriers that can be worn on the back AND are comfy. We have a metal frame backpack (not sure what brand) and it hurts my shoulders so badly that I can wear it for about 10 minutes.

Thanks so much for any help!

StacyB 09-11-2006 06:28 AM

Re: Baby carriers for wearing on the back?

A Mae Tai or a Moby wrap!!!

I personally have never used a moby...but I heard they are great. I use the Mae Tais and LOVE them!

nothing_butt_cloth 09-11-2006 06:28 AM

I love my MT... It can be front, side or rear...

I think you can back carry with a ring sling too, but it felt weird to me...:headscratch:

Good luck!!:thumbsup:

sheandaru 09-11-2006 06:32 AM

As long as you get it nice and snug, a Moby works fine for back carries with a small baby (look at my avatar!). Once your baby starts getting bigger, though, you may want to go with a woven wrap or a MT.

Roses 09-11-2006 06:39 AM

When it comes to a Mae Tai (by the way - what is the correct pronuciation of that? Is it May Tie?) - are they all basically the same? I know lots of WAHM moms make them...are they basically the same from one place to the next or are there certain features/details to look for that make a difference? Is the Mei Tai really comfy on the shoulders or do they dig in? Is it hard to get the baby on your back without any assistance? Is it hard to get the baby out of the MT?

Also, what is a "woven wrap"? See, I'm really clueless! :mrgreen:

Thank you for the recommendations so far!!

sheandaru 09-11-2006 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roses
When it comes to a Mae Tai (by the way - what is the correct pronuciation of that? Is it May Tie?) - are they all basically the same? I know lots of WAHM moms make them...are they basically the same from one place to the next or are there certain features/details to look for that make a difference? Is the Mei Tai really comfy on the shoulders or do they dig in? Is it hard to get the baby on your back without any assistance? Is it hard to get the baby out of the MT?

Also, what is a "woven wrap"? See, I'm really clueless! :mrgreen:

Thank you for the recommendations so far!!

Close! It's "my tie" (pretty sure). A lot of WAHMS are making hybrid MTs that have wide shoulder straps kind of like a wrap would have. Like these: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/FrankenKozy.htm

I haven't tried one yet, but it sure looks comfy!

A woven has less stretch to it, which makes it less "forgiving" than a stretchy wrap, but it can be used for big babies & toddlers.

I'd recommend lurking in The Babywearer forum for some really good info.

worldwarcaitlin 09-11-2006 07:45 AM

I carry my DS around for 1-2 hours at a time in my moby wrap. I could go even longer but after an hour or two he wants out lol. He weighs 19 pounds and I have a little frame. I tried using a mei tai with him but he doesn't like it because he can't wiggle around like he can in a wrap.

I love back carries, I wish I could do them without somebody else's help (haven't quite mastered that yet)

negrapy 09-11-2006 07:48 AM

the ergos are very shoulder friendly. I have swimmer's shoulder and the mei tai I tried was very hard on them even when my baby was only 12 or 13 lbs. The ergos though are a pretty big investment

hfitz5051 09-11-2006 07:50 AM

I use a MT on my back for Hazel and she is a big girl lol. I also make them, btw.

cprice88 09-11-2006 09:03 AM

Try an Ergo baby carrier or a mei tai. Personally, I love the Ergo now that ds is over 25 lbs. and also my favorite type of mei tais for back carries are ones with wide, "wrap-like" straps. Go to The Babywearer website www.thebabywearer.com to get some recommendations for wrap-like MTs if that interests you. The one I have that i like best for back carries is called a Napsack, but I don't think they are available new at the moment because the owner just sold the company to someone in London. Good luck! :)