Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What do you store milk in? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404108)

YnotBhappy 04-23-2008 08:49 AM

What do you store milk in?

I need to store milk for about four months. What do I use to do this? Also...is it better to store in the chest freezer or the one above the fridge? :headscratch:

Cyn_Cyn 04-23-2008 09:00 AM

Re: What do you store milk in?

I always used BM bags or Playtex disposable bags. I had these little clippy things that I would close them with or ties. I then stuck them inside of a ziploc freezer bag. That was the best way the LC said to double bag them.

As for freezer it is best to use the chest freezer. The one above the fridge will get opened alot more. I always stored them in our deep freezer. We never had any problems. Of course my LO's wouldn't take a bottle so it was used to mix with their cereal.:giggle:

HeavenlyHold 04-23-2008 09:05 AM

I used the Lansinoh bags...the deeper (colder) the freeze, the better. So I would say chest freezer!

fuzzycakes 04-23-2008 07:52 PM

any breast milk storage bag will work. Store in increments you would like to thaw- whole bottle amounts, or if you will still be pumping, and want to suppliment frozen with fresh, smaller amounts... you can get bm storage bags anywhere- wal-mart, target, bru...

chest freezer is best- whichever gets opened/closed the least amount, and far away from the door. Keep it nice and cold!

walshsa1a 04-24-2008 05:23 AM

I like the Medela freezer storage bags, but any you find will probably be fine. And for 4 months the freezer above the fridge is ok (i think up to 6 months), but a chest freezer will be colder and store 'better'.

Good luck!

SubliminalDarkness 04-24-2008 05:34 AM

I liked the Lansinoh bags.

And if you have access to a chest freezer, that would be better. For one thing, because it's not opened as often so the temperature is more constant.

joy7s 04-24-2008 07:43 AM

I have medula bottles.. you can get them in the babies r us store without bpa in them.. the only reason I don't use bags is it's been proven that bm looses a lot of it's immunlogical properties when put in bags and frozen.

Definatly a chest freezer is better the less you open it and put it in the back of the freezer.

Katarzyna 04-24-2008 09:04 AM

I use the Lansinoh bags - nevre had any problems. Chest freezer is probably best but I just use a regular one since that is all I have...

YnotBhappy 04-24-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joy7s (Post 3407633)
I have medula bottles.. you can get them in the babies r us store without bpa in them.. the only reason I don't use bags is it's been proven that bm looses a lot of it's immunlogical properties when put in bags and frozen.

Definatly a chest freezer is better the less you open it and put it in the back of the freezer.

That is interesting. SInce the whole reason I am doing this is to give our adopted baby better nutrition, I must look into that! Do you store them directly in the bottles? That would be a lot of bottles!

beautifulbrain 05-07-2008 09:16 AM

Late to see this thread, but I've also read that BM loses a lot of its nutrition when stored in plastic bags. The bags are plastic so that's a petroleum based product you're using to store your precious BM. Also, plastic anything is an environmental nightmare (very few places will recycle plastic bags) and their landfill lifespan is really long.

Also, whatever type of freezer or container you use, never store BM on the door or at the front of the shelf. These are the warmest parts of the freezer (same for the fridge when just storing BM cold or even regular milk).

And make sure you label everything with the date pumped and put the newest milk behind the already frozen bottles so you're thawing it LIFO (last in first out). That way, you don't use the new milk first and the old milk won't spoil before you get to it.

HTH!