Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Did your Thrush go away on its own? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405368)

zionnecherub 04-24-2008 03:41 PM

Did your Thrush go away on its own?

Is it possible? We have been dealing with it since he was born...3 months ago. The thrush just kind of lingers and never goes away. Nystatin can make it better if it starts to get bad, but it doesnt knock it out. I am scared to try anything else, and we are out of state away from the ped. Also, our insurance will not cover anything out of state. So, I am kind of stuck. I think my only chance is to pray it away :giggle:

Has it ever just cleared itself for anyone? I know it is not common for it to just go away, but I am wondering if it is possible:headscratch:

crystalanne79 04-24-2008 03:49 PM

Re: Did your Thrush go away on its own?

Sorry but no. I had it for 4 months with dd before I gave up and stopped pumping (then it went away on it's own). With DS I had it for 3 months and I tried gentian violet (both me and ds), grapefruit seed extract, yogurt, Nystatin, Monistat, and then the prescription that cost me $200+ (no insurance). It didn't go away until I stopped nursing. We both had it badly. I was changing breast pads and soothers at every feed, boiling and then washing them. It was a ton of work and a lot of pain. I haven't personally heard of anyone that has beaten it but the public health nurse had and she would know better than me. Sorry i can't be more positive but I really wanted to nurse for a lot longer than 3 months but I just couldn't do it.

CarrieNY 04-24-2008 06:46 PM

Thrush is nasty and persistent. I've battled it twice and finally ended up on Diflucan both times before I finally beat it. Why are you scared to try anything beside Nystatin? There are lots of non-prescription things you can try - echinacea to boost your immune system, grapefruit seed extract (both topical and oral), acidophilus, vinegar rinses... Check out Dr. Newman's advice in the Thrush section at kellymom.com.

smwisc 04-24-2008 07:11 PM

just wanted to add that gentian violet is super cheap - like $3 a bottle.

JackieLyn 04-24-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smwisc (Post 3412932)
just wanted to add that gentian violet is super cheap - like $3 a bottle.

:yeahthat: beware though, it is messy :giggle: gentian violet did the trick for us!

lydiamom 04-24-2008 07:34 PM

Doesn't go away on its own. I had it for 6 months with dd1 before finally treating us both with diflucan--it was the only thing that would work. Then I got it with dd2 so I gave her nystatin and went straight for the diflucan myself--I wasn't willing to go through this again for 6 months! But like pp's said, there are a lot of non-prescription things you can try. Gentian violet is over the counter and works for a lot of people. Also putting gynalotramin on your breasts (be sure to wash it off before breastfeeding). And all the more holistic remidies are helpful too.

kht2006 04-24-2008 09:30 PM

DDs pediatrician said that can happen :headscratch:
Hers went away after lots of natural treatment and when I cut all simple sugars and carbs out of my diet.

CarrieNY 04-25-2008 07:40 AM

Gentian violet has been linked to oral cancer: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t028100.asp

Kanga 04-25-2008 07:51 AM

We had a nasty case of thrush...what finally worked

1.)oral nystatin for dd - if you don't treat you AND dc, it can and will come back. My ob didn't know this, FWIW.

2.) washed my nipples after each feeding with vinegar water, then applied topical nystatin.

3.) Two doses of difflucan

4.) avoided bottles and boiled pacifiers regularly.

4.) After all that and it STILL didn't go away (and deemed my ob worthless on the matter), I took acidophilus pills - 4 of them at each meal, cut waaay back on carbs and sugar (they feed the yeast), and #1, #2, and #4 listed above.

It's been gone since and hasn't come back:goodvibes: