Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Major Ear Infections- Need herb advice! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40549)

greenkmt 09-11-2006 11:10 PM

Major Ear Infections- Need herb advice!

OK I know lots of you know a lot about herbal remidies, so I am pulling for everything I have right now.

My almost 2 year old son has had ear infections for a long time. He was born in October 2004, had his first one end of December 2004 it lasted with constant antibiotics until like June of 05. Then it stopped, and started back in October of 05 and lasted until May of 06. Then they stopped and about 4 weeks ago, I took him in the Dr. and they said he had another bad one. We started antibiotics again. They ended 2 weeks ago.

Well...... Last night his ear drum ruptured. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . I didn't know it until he showed me. BAD MOMMY! I took him to the Dr. and we are taking antibiotics again. I asked her about herbal and she said that she didn't know of anything to do but toobs.

Idon't want a response like toobs are great blah blah blah... I don't want to do that and I don't want to have my child in pain. He has been tested for milk and different kind of allergies so I have thought about that.

What do you suggest and please be specific. I can't stand to have this happening! PLEASE HELP!

BTW, I still BF him. I don't know if that helps with anything you need to know.

Misti

Summer 09-12-2006 06:08 AM

Re: Major Ear Infections- Need herb advice!

Have you ever tried warmed olive oil with grapefruit seed extract drops added to it? You mix it together (never put undiluted GSE in his ears) and then take a dropper and put it down in each ear and gently massage while he is laying on his side so it can't run back out. I'll try to find some links for you that I have.:goodvibes:

keegans_mommy 09-12-2006 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer
Have you ever tried warmed olive oil with grapefruit seed extract drops added to it? You mix it together (never put undiluted GSE in his ears) and then take a dropper and put it down in each ear and gently massage while he is laying on his side so it can't run back out. I'll try to find some links for you that I have.:goodvibes:

I agree with this, also garlic infused olive oil ( think that is it) . I can check my alternative medicine book if you find all of these don't float your boat :goodvibes:

beepsmnms 09-12-2006 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenkmt
OK I know lots of you know a lot about herbal remidies, so I am pulling for everything I have right now.

My almost 2 year old son has had ear infections for a long time. He was born in October 2004, had his first one end of December 2004 it lasted with constant antibiotics until like June of 05. Then it stopped, and started back in October of 05 and lasted until May of 06. Then they stopped and about 4 weeks ago, I took him in the Dr. and they said he had another bad one. We started antibiotics again. They ended 2 weeks ago.

Well...... Last night his ear drum ruptured. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . I didn't know it until he showed me. BAD MOMMY! I took him to the Dr. and we are taking antibiotics again. I asked her about herbal and she said that she didn't know of anything to do but toobs.

Idon't want a response like toobs are great blah blah blah... I don't want to do that and I don't want to have my child in pain. He has been tested for milk and different kind of allergies so I have thought about that.

What do you suggest and please be specific. I can't stand to have this happening! PLEASE HELP!

BTW, I still BF him. I don't know if that helps with anything you need to know.

Misti

Aww Misti, I feel your sons pain so much. I've battled ear infections all my life, luckily my dd is 2 shes had her share but they were never bad and always cleared up with antibiotics. My ds only had 1 ear infection and hes now 14. I got one last week and my ear closed up and its just now strating to open back up, so i reallly feel ds pain, but id much rather it be me than the little one. Give him a big kiss from me and lmk if you need anything.

greenkmt 09-12-2006 11:24 AM

Thanks Ladies! I am just curious, but will the GSE or the garlic extract actually heal the ear or will it just make it feel better? What do I need to do as far as to make it heal and not come back? I talked to a guy at the health food place and he said that I need to get him done with the antibiotics and then I need to get the probiotics. He said since I BF I need to take the probiotics too. And he also said that I really need to have his diet be all organic and whole food. Does that sound like a stretch or...?

keegans_mommy 09-12-2006 11:30 AM

The GSE IS an anti-biotic but natural. :) Probiotics are great but won't prevent future ear infections but is a wonderful idea for everybody to be on for general health :goodvibes: The GSE will make the infection go away ;)

As for eating all organic and all natural, that is hard and can be expensive. We eat as wholefoods as possible but not all organic. Organic is just too much for us so we eat lots of fresh veggie's, fruits and grains and limit our intake and usage of processed anything. :)

greenkmt 09-12-2006 11:31 AM

BTW I am willing to do whatever it takes to make him feel better and get better! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

greenkmt 09-12-2006 11:34 AM

Yea, he eats mostly fruits and veggies, he has never had a lot of things that other kids have like sweets... and you know junk or processed foods. I though I was doing good but obviously not! Man, I feel so crappy that he is sick.

greenkmt 09-12-2006 11:37 AM

Now, I have a question. I asked the Dr. and she said that because of where the infection is, drops wouldn't heal his ears... Is that true? So how many drops to drops do you use to make the GSE solution? How many times per day? ETC... Also, if his ear drum is busted, is it still ok? What books or sites can I go to for holistic medicine? Sorry for all the ?'s :)

keegans_mommy 09-12-2006 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenkmt
Yea, he eats mostly fruits and veggies, he has never had a lot of things that other kids have like sweets... and you know junk or processed foods. I though I was doing good but obviously not! Man, I feel so crappy that he is sick.

Do NOT feel badly he has an infection! Kids will get sick now and then and it's not for you to blame yourself :hugs: All you can do is your best in taking care of them when nature socks ya one ;)

I think the guy at the health food store was pushing his personal feelings on you pretty strongly even though you are doing your best. He's right to a certain extent but not entirely (but then again maybe my opinion!). The GSE will cure infections. I am super surprised he said what he did! :headscratch: