Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   MMR question for vaxers and non (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40814)

weddell 09-12-2006 04:38 PM

MMR question for vaxers and non

My DD just turned 1 and has had all her vaccinations up until now. She has had bad eczema since she was around 1 month old and it has been really bad this summer. She has been tested by an allergist for food allergies and is allergic to milk, eggs, and sesame (the sesame could kill her). Her ped didn't want to give her the MMR vaccine (measles, mumps, rubella) in his office because it is grown in egg protein and could potentially cause an allergic reaction in her. He told me to call her allergist and ask what he wanted done. I called today and they told me that they like to do it in the allergist's office over 1.5 hours, giving a little of the vaccine at a time and watching for a reaction. At my dd's regular ped appointment they did give her the other vaccinations and today her ezcema is HORRIBLE. I think it is because of the vaccines. I don't know that I want to sit in the allergist's office for hours while they give my dd multiple shots that will probably make her ezcema worse for the next week. I believe in giving vaccines, but I just don't know that getting the MMR right now is worth the trouble it will cause. What do other people think? What should I say to the allergist (we are going tomorrow morning to have him look at her skin, and TALK about the MMR)? I am thinking of asking about delaying it. How should I approach it?
Thanks!

GoddessWifeMom 09-12-2006 04:52 PM

Re: MMR question for vaxers and non

No advice here but just wanted to say that we are in a somewhat similar situation with our DD.

We went to bring her to her 1yr immunization and while we were there we mentioned how she seemed to have an allergice reaction to eggs. Her Dr. agreed that it sounded bad so he said he would rather hold off on the MMR and just give her the other one and referred her to an allergist to find out about the egg.

Then his office called back with the date of the appointment for the allergist and it not until NEXT YEAR in May. We thought WHAT she is supposed to wait a whole year without knowing for sure if she is allergic, but has horrible reactions to anything with egg in it, and a whole year before having the MMR.

So we decided to just go ahead with the MMR, if we have to wait a whole year because it's not worth it for her to possibly get something else from not having the shot and we have a new baby coming, but we have an appointment next week with her DR to ask for sure.

Hope they can figure something out to help your DD. I definately wouldn't want for her to have a bad reaction either if I was you.

It was interesting to read about how they told you the allergist would do the shot, wonder if it's like that here too in Canada.

A'smommy 09-12-2006 05:15 PM

So sorry you are having such trouble. My DD had no reaction whatsoever, even tho I was totally worried.

Maybe you could ask the allergist if time would help the reaction...you know, waiting on the MMR at least until the eczema from the first round clears up? With my DD we spaced some of the shots, just to be sure. I wonder if s/he (the allergist) has an opinion on whether that would help? I ended up not waiting to do all DD's shots one at a time (which I had thought was a good idea at first) because of all the sick kids in the waiting rooms at the pedi's office. Seemed to me like the extra time and exposure to germs in the waiting room was worse than getting multiple shots at once. But if you're in an allergist's office, at least there should be fewer germs for your DD to catch.

GL!

cuties02q 09-13-2006 06:30 AM

DD didn't get the mmr until she was 3!

Hayley 09-13-2006 07:51 AM

we are not getting MMR till my DS is at least 2 but hopfully 3. It is not something you need right now and if they are that concerned maybe they could break the shot up into 3 sections and administer it over a few months like measel one month mumps the next and rubella after that? IMO I would wait there are not many cases of MMR out there to warrent getting the shot JMO.

weddell 09-13-2006 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahs_mommie
we are not getting MMR till my DS is at least 2 but hopfully 3. It is not something you need right now and if they are that concerned maybe they could break the shot up into 3 sections and administer it over a few months like measel one month mumps the next and rubella after that? IMO I would wait there are not many cases of MMR out there to warrent getting the shot JMO.

That's what I'm thinking too. DH really wants her to get it soon, but I'm thinking of telling him that if he wants her to get it that badly, he can take the day off work and take her to the allergist's to get it done. I know he won't do it. I think 2 or 3 is a better age and hopefully by then she will have outgrown her egg allergy and can get the shot normally. Thanks for your input!

Hayley 09-13-2006 08:19 AM

:hugs: I hope you can figure something out sounds like you have a Dr. that will probably agree with you if you are wanting to wait!:goodvibes:

9800Emily 09-13-2006 09:07 AM

We have a similar situation, and have chosen not to vax. I'm not anti vax though. In my dd's case the risk of vaxing is much greater than the risk of not vaxing. There is egg in most vax actually. The two worst ones for egg are the MMR and FLU shots. I'm not sure how into detail you went with your allergist, but for my dd they wanted to give her small amounts of the vax every 1 or 1 1/2 hours eight times a day for 8 days. That is what it would take to give her one dose of a vax. IMO it just isn't worth it. Measles and mumps are not scary disease. They are generally mild and there are no lasting effects. Rubella is a little more concerning for a girl because of the effects it can have if you are pregnant. Do some research to see amount of cases and what the outcome of those cases were. Just remember that the numbers are some what misleading. In Texas there have been 7 or 8 deaths from pertussis, but when I dug deeper it turns out that while there were this many deaths, a majority of the children that died were impoverished or had underlying medical conditions that caused the pertussis to be worse than if a "normally" healthy child had gotten it. It is also very likely that the numbers of infected are actually much higher because doctors are reluctant to diagnose a child with a disease that is vaxed for.
The eczema is your DD's body telling you that the shots are causing problems for her. Allergic reactions are not predictable. I have learned this from my own experience of being allergic to latex. It started as just itching and from my ignorance of not stopping all exposure, it has escalated into a life threating allergy. It is a bad idea to expose a person to something that they are allergic to.
MDC has alot of good info. I would also recommend posting your question over there as odds are someone has made this same decision.

mamato3 09-13-2006 07:09 PM

Ethan did not get the MMR due to his egg allergy. He grew out of that allergy very quickly so I would wait and have him tested again in 6m or so

bsydprmkn 09-13-2006 08:08 PM

i have no advice on the vaccine, but i did have to comment on sesame though. ds was diagnosed with a peanut allergy when he was a couple months old, he was tested because of his eczema. no i was not feeding him food, they just wanted to see why his eczema was so bad. anyways, they told me to stear clear of sesame because people with peanut allergies are more often than not allergic to sesame the same way. did they test dd for peanuts??????