Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sick baby...please help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40852)

wahoowhippets 09-12-2006 06:45 PM

Sick baby...please help!

:( My six month old DD has been sick for a while now, like over a month. I took her to the ped a couple of weeks ago because of runny stuffy nose, a bit of drainage coming out of one ear, pulling on ears, fussy, rattling in her chest with a cough (she had this cough for a couple of weeks before I took her to the doctor and had just gotten the rattley chest so I thought I needed to take her in). It turns out she had an ear infection so she was put on Ammoxicillin for 7 days and also has a cough syrup called H-C Tussive Syrup (subsituted for histussin HC Syrup)--this is supposed to help with the cough and runny and stuffy nose. She has been off the antibiotics now for close to two weeks but still is fussy, has a cough at times with the rattleyness (not as much though), runny and stuffy nose. The cough syrup helps clear her up so she can breath and it helps her sleep, but do you think I should take her back to the peds or wait it out a bit longer? Is it possible for her to have allergies this young? Has anyone out there ever had their baby be sick for so long? She is exclusively breastfed on demand and has not had solids yet. She acts pretty happy when she isn't runny and stuffy. I just hate having to give her the cough syrup this long (it has a mild narcotic in it). Sometimes when she coughs I can feel the junk in her lungs--poor baby... Any ideas would be great...thank you mommas...

Menfusse 09-12-2006 07:08 PM

Re: Sick baby...please help!

My guess is the 7 day course of amox wasn't strong or long enough...one of the 2. I think I would take her back in. Sometime when the snots hang on for so long, its hard to get rid of the ear infection. She may just need a stronger antibiotic. Hugs...hopes she's feeling better soon.

hfitz5051 09-12-2006 07:48 PM

Do you have older kids? Last year Hazel was constantly sick and the ped said that Morgan was bringing it home from Pre-k and since the babies immune system wasn't built up yet she kept getting sick. She said it wasn't the same thing, but a variation that seemed alike. I swear I thought she'd be sick forever lol.
I hope she feels better real soon! It is so hard to watch your baby be sick.

geckoed 09-14-2006 01:10 AM

my friends 3rd kid was snotty and coughed for his first 2 years. They even tested him for cystic fibrosis. He outgrew it and is 5.5 and just fine.
Have you tried a chiropractor?
I don't do cough meds/ Our asthma/allergy doc says not to. She says humidify the air, steamy bathroom for a bad cough, lots of fluids. A teaspoon of warm water will help rinse the throat and loosen things. you can thump her chest to break up the rattles, like burping but with a cupped hand and a bit harder. Do it while she lays on your lap with her head a bit lower so the gook comes out. Babies are lousy at coughing and tend to sound worse than bigger kids. ((hugs))

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 09-14-2006 01:45 AM

i hope your baby feels better soon, if it were me id go to another dr for a second opnion, i aso think 7 days of amox wasn't long enough:hugs:

Julesmom23girls 09-14-2006 07:57 AM

Some coughs just linger after a cold. If that is really all there is I wouldn't worry too much. I would get a vaporizer/humidifier to keep thing moist and moving. It will def help DD sleep better and end the coughing sooner. It doesn't sound like she still has an ear infection from what you have said so I think the antibiotics did what they were supposed to, now the rest of the cold just has to run its course. Def get a humidifier.

aschrimp 09-14-2006 09:57 AM

My ds was sick for 4 months solid this past winter, starting when he was 3 mos old. He had RSV, then cold after cold, and never did get over the bronchiolitis that the RSV caused. But it was all viral, no anti-biotics were needed (well, ok, they gave him a prescription once because the lungs were sounding crackly, not just gunky, which apparently can indicate bacteria, but they didn't help, so I am not convinced that he needed them, and then we had 2 months of yeast rashes because he had them).

Babies can get pretty gunky lungs from viruses. We never used a cough supressent - if they aren't coughing, they are not going to be able to clear out the funk. DS slept elevated for months, we took him into a steamy bathroom before every nap and bedtime, slept with a humidifier...the works. Eventually, he got over it. But it wasn't fun.

If they gave you the antibiotics for the ear infection, and his ears seem better, there would be no reason to continue it longer just because the cold/flu (viral) symtoms were still hanging on.

wahoowhippets 10-16-2006 07:51 AM

Thanks for all the replies mommas! I ended up taking her back in--she was on another round of antibiotics because there was still fluid behind her eardrum and stuff in her lungs. She also got put on Albuterol in a nebulizer. She is soooo much better now! No more junk in her lungs, no more meds, yeaaaa!