Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   bed rails or suggestions? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41160)

jeniperlyn 09-13-2006 03:15 PM

bed rails or suggestions?

I've been afraid of this happening since the first time i put him in my bed and i'm feeling like a dumb parent today:banghead: !!! I have a Cal king bed, it's probably a good 4 feet from the top of my matress to the floor and i keep pillows on the floor on my side of the bed in case my son just happens to roll of the bed. I tried to use the crib as a bedrail but because our frame was made by my bf there is a gap that is even too big for pillows. Sooooo as usuall my son woke up today and i popped a boob in his mouth and went back to sleep....i don't know if he went back to sleep or what time it was when i started to nurse him but i was woken up by a BANG...and a screaming baby (i feel so awful) he had to have rolled or wigged his lil but 4 ft or so to get to the other side of the bed and fall off! He is ok, has a knot on his forhead though. I was wondering if any of you use bed rails and could suggest a good brand? I'm tempted to go put my matress directly on the floor because i know he won't tolerate his crib (though he actually slept about 5 hours in it last night but he was asleep when i put him in it). Any other suggestions? Daddy goes to work between 3am and 5am so him being between us in the morning isn't an option.

ChurchPunkMom 09-13-2006 03:58 PM

Re: bed rails or suggestions?

You may want to just put that mattress on the floor. Honestly, if he can wiggle that far, he'll probably be able to wiggle around a bedrail (they only cover so much area!). Another option is to pile some pillows around him (or have daddy do it when he leaves in the am) and hope that if he wakes and is wiggling around that he will wake you before he gets away!

I've had babies fall off my bed more times than I'd like to admit.:cry: We always find ways to remedy it though. My dd tends to sneak off the bed when I'm changing her and walk off for a second to grab a wipe or daiper or something..:blush:

Tootsiemomma 09-13-2006 06:20 PM

I have huge pillows that her father places around us in the mornings plus her crib is against our bed with the walls against the other sides. She's never fallen off the bed, and I hope she never does, but I'm usually awake when her father leaves and we get up then,

kimb96 09-13-2006 08:10 PM

When ds was that age, I used to put pillows under the bottom sheet. The pillows would keep him from falling off the bed. Putting them under the sheet kept them from sliding off the bed. That worked until ds started crawling.

rebyell 09-13-2006 09:15 PM

If those sugg dont work, I have been wanting to get the bed railing at One Step Ahead. I think it works on any size mattress if it has a boxspring.