Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   did your 12 mo old have a lead test? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41345)

titania 09-14-2006 07:15 AM

did your 12 mo old have a lead test?

wondering if it was common for drs to have babies get tested for lead at 12 mo. my friend's son was not, but i have another friend whose babies were. what about your baby? yes or no?

Mindi 09-14-2006 07:28 AM

Re: did your 12 mo old have a lead test?

All my kids were tested for lead. I'm not 100% sure when they got their first ones though. My dd was just tested about a year ago when she was about 12. My oldest two had high levels when they were young and I wanted them rechecked after my younger two came up a little high at their last check.
Plus they all have medical assistance as a secondary insurance and it is required by the state to have it done.

Jemgirl 09-14-2006 07:42 AM

I don't recall with my older two. I think that they typically just check it when they check for anemia. My dr talked to us about it with my youngest (11months) and we had his checked......good thing too, because he is HIGH!!! Has a lead level of 27 (there are 6 levels of lead poisoning and he's in the 4th tier). So we are doing all the environmental testing, nurse visits, etc. Hopefully the reports come back soon from the environmental testing so we can get some idea of where it might be coming from. We had myself, and the two big kids tested and we were all well within the normal range (1-2). So we're kinda at a loss as to how he is being exposed:(
I would definitely say, get tested to be on the safe side.
:hugs:
Jeme

Severine 09-14-2006 07:48 AM

Our pediatrician was not going to do it, but I forced the issue. We live in a house built in 1920 and DD licks the windows. :yuck: It was important to me to have her tested.

1bigfamily 09-14-2006 08:02 AM

The doctor ordered them but I never took them.

toryandrew 09-14-2006 08:04 AM

It's the law in Maine which I am really glad for because lead is so dangerous and so common

jodi74 09-14-2006 08:07 AM

Yes mine were tested at a year. My parents live in an old house and we are out there quite often so my ped said they should be tested.

Luvmybabies 09-14-2006 08:14 AM

They automatically do lead testing in our area... however my son was so ill at the time of his 9mo checkup that I declined having it done. It was just recently done in June and he was fine.
I have to bring DD in November to have her level checked (she'll be 4.5yo) since it hasn't been done since she was 9mo.

Timetodance 09-14-2006 08:15 AM

In New York State you are supposed to be tested btween 1 and 2 years, and again at 5? I think. DD was going to be tested at the 12 mo checkup but with all the shots, the doctor said that dd was having a though engough day so we did it at 15mo. Nothing like a blood draw....but my parents live in a 250 year old house so I though it was a good idea. I like the idea of a reapest test.

Lead poisining is a big problem in NYC.

LadonnaKen 09-14-2006 08:37 AM

My children have never been tested for lead. :shrug: We do live in a newer home--maybe that's why?