Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   how do you teach a baby no? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41382)

sesa70 09-14-2006 09:25 AM

how do you teach a baby no?

DD is 10 months, and starting to get into everything :goodvibes:

I have everything mostly childproof, but there are a few things that I cant move that she has to learn are nono's, kwim?

So, how the heck do you teach a small baby no? She is obsessed with the compter table :giggle: I have hidden all the wires safely except the keyboard and mouse ones. She is constantly pulling them. Also, my heating and ac vents... she loves to pull them up and I am terrified she is going to get stuck in the hole! LOL!

So I tell her no and move her, but she thinks its hilarious and giggles then goes right back. How do you teach babies no?

annes_cottage 09-14-2006 09:40 AM

Re: how do you teach a baby no?

I know what ya mean.

I do the same thing, tell them no and move them. If after 3 times they don't get it I will tap there hand and say NO a little firmier....no slap hard or anything, just a tap.

My mom put her son in time out in a pack n play when he wouldn't listen, but it never worked.

Hope you find something that helps! :hugs: :goodvibes:

sewingmama2005 09-14-2006 10:39 AM

I taught my 15 m/o the same way you're teaching your's ;) I tell her no and move her and give her something else to do....now when you tell her no she will shake her head no, smile and touch it anyway LOL Or she'll look at something, look at me, shake her head no and walk the other direction because she knows she's not supposed to touch it :D

ewebabymama 09-14-2006 11:12 AM

I make my voice firm and different than my regular voice. I don't yell at her, but I make my voice a bit deeper and say "Kiersten, no." I don't tell her no very often, it's only for things like trying to play with outlets because there are a few outlets in the living room that we use, so I can't cover them up. Babies catch on quickly, I find that just saying the baby's name in a firm voice gets them to stop what they are doing better than saying no.

scwendy 09-14-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewebabymama
I make my voice firm and different than my regular voice. I don't yell at her, but I make my voice a bit deeper and say "Kiersten, no." I don't tell her no very often, it's only for things like trying to play with outlets because there are a few outlets in the living room that we use, so I can't cover them up. Babies catch on quickly, I find that just saying the baby's name in a firm voice gets them to stop what they are doing better than saying no.

Same here. I only use the word NO is it is serious business, and I redirect, redirect, redirect... It takes time, but they do catch on eventually.

I have a 14 yr DD and a 12 yr DS and never had to touch them (other than to move them) to teach them "no" and they learned boundaries and right from wrong and are very well-behaved children!

It is frustrating, but they really learn through repetition:thumbsup:

aschrimp 09-14-2006 01:55 PM

I read somewhere that it takes 2-3 *hundred* repitions for a baby to learn a rule, and that is assuming that it is enforced every single time without any variation, and there is no reward for doing it.

My ds is 12 mos, he likes to grab at my laptop keys. I tell him no,no,no, and move his hands every time he does it. But he often gets to the keys before I tell him no, and they make cool clicky noises (reward), plus it usually means that Mom puts down the laptop to engage him in something else (reward). So I am guessing that I have a long road ahead of me. BTW - now, he will say No,no,no as he goes for the keys - lol!

honeybee 09-14-2006 02:03 PM

Babies and toddlers have a really hard time with impulse control. So, even when they understand what "no" means, it may be very difficult to stop themselves. I can relate, since I have very little impulse control when it comes to chocolate! :thumbsup: To a baby/toddler, everything is as irresistible as chocolate.

You pretty much just have to get used to moving a baby away physically and distracting them with something else. Always give something they can do as an alternative. "No chewing on the chord. Here, you CAN chew on this toy." Sometimes it's better just to move/distract them without making a big deal out of it. Then they're less likely to go after something just to see your reaction.

jls~Kain~Drake 09-14-2006 02:43 PM

With my first, I just did what mil said to do...which was to tell him no in a firm voice and if action was repeated, no with a smack on the hand. With my second, I'm only telling him no and moving him away from whatever. I can say very confidently - that with my children, I'm getting the same result. Just telling him no and moving him...is just as effective as saying no and smacking hand....so if you ask me, I'd prefer not to smack hands! I do understand that it's right for some people, but I'm so ashamed about how I dealt with my first..I just did whatever mil said to do. Ack. Anyway.

Just have to keep telling them no and move/distract like pp said...it'll take a few million times of saying/doing it...but, that's what it takes.