Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   getting early advice (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414031)

bodiejake 05-04-2008 06:06 AM

getting early advice
 
I am not due until Oct. 20th. I had MAJOR BF'ing issues with DS though and I don't want to have those same issues again. I was not educated enough the last time and didn't know about this wonderful board for support. So, I am starting early getting info this time and asking questions.

Here's the problems I had with DS
He was slightly tongue tied
my supply was low
our latch was not good, so I had cracked nipples and would be in tears everytime he latched on.
I tried pumping to increase my supply, but it did not work at all. In fact, I think it made it worse.
I started to resent BF'ing and then mastitis set in. That pretty much did me in.

I want to do better this time. I want this to really work. Advice? Suggestions? tricks? anything. Help me start my BF'ing education and ways that I can problem solve quickly to fix our problems as they arise.

my #1 concern, I am scared I am going to have the same supply issue again. What can I get now to have on hand for when/if that happens?

emilysvenson 05-04-2008 06:41 AM

Re: getting early advice
 
It's very likely that your supply was low as a result of the other problems. If your son did not have a good latch and remove milk efficiently in the early weeks, you probably didn't establish a strong supply.

Tongue-tie can be genetic, so I'd suggest having someone check your next baby's frenulum right away in case it needs to be snipped.

The best cure for a low supply is just nursing nursing nursing! Some people also swear by fenugreek or other herbal remedies.

I think you're smart to line up some good support now. Maybe start attending LLL meetings (pregnant moms are welcome, and you can bring your older child). Find the name and number of a good LC who can help if you have latch problems.

One other idea is to make sure you have plenty of help with the housework and your older child after the baby comes so that you can concentrate on just feeding the baby.

Good luck!

Mirasmom 05-04-2008 08:07 AM

Re: getting early advice
 
Be persistent. I had some of the same issues with my dd and I eventually gave up too :hugs: This time hasn't been any easier, but I have stuck it out at all costs and I'm so glad I'm doing it. It's so rewarding and worth every single bit of it. Get LOTS of support RIGHT when you notice an issue- don't wait. It's really important. Get with a LC in your area that you can see IN PERSON right from the start. I had ours come in in the hospital just to check is latch just in case (not because I was worried). We take ds to the chiropractor for cranio sacral therapy (something to check out if you have latch issues). KEEP GOING!

Dire Wolf 05-04-2008 10:30 AM

Re: getting early advice
 
How did you begin your latch? If you have breasts larger than a C cup, you may want to sort of flatten the nipple to a sort of football like shape when putting it in baby's mouth. Also, rub the nipple on the edge of the mouth to encourage them to open really wide for a good latch. Also, wear loose support for your breasts for the first few weeks. Like tank tops with shelf bras or a nursing bra a cup too large. I did that with my second dd and I have had no mastitis issues and we just passed our one year milestone. Get the La Leche League manual, they have a section on babies with tongue tie. http://store.llli.org/public/profile/201 Also try to find a La Leche League group in your area, there may be women who have had the same problem and they may have advice that can help you overcome that problem should it arise. Dont stress about it too much, there is nothing you can do about nursing until the baby is born, so getting upset or worrying about it will help no one. I knowhow difficult that can be, but really try to just enjoy being pregnant and let the rest just be, kwim? HTH :goodvibes:

amybabya 05-04-2008 10:54 AM

Re: getting early advice
 
DD1 literally took 3 months to latch on. I went through just about everything to get her to nurse and we won! One day, she just did it.
DD2 latched on the day she was born.
What I would do:
Find a good LC - meet with the ones at your hospital first and see what they have to say to you and if you like them. Mine was my saving grace. No way I would have stuck with it with DD1 without her. I went to see her several times a week for the first 3 months.
Get some nipple butter from Earth Mama Angel Baby or something similar. Very good stuff. Your nipples will toughen up very quickly. It just hurts at first.
Don't let them give you pain meds. I think this is one reason DD1 didn't latch.
Relax. It will happen just let baby nurse and your milk will flow - I think my milk took about 3 or 4 days to come in both times. Just make sure you stay hydrated.
Mastitis is so painful. I have had it twice. If you get some meds, it goes away fast. Also, switch LOs nursing position to relieve the pain immediately.
Pumping tears up your nipples way more than nursing does. I wouldn't pump unless you have to.
Good luck mama!!!

bodiejake 05-04-2008 11:59 AM

Re: getting early advice
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dire Wolf (Post 3490651)
How did you begin your latch? If you have breasts larger than a C cup, you may want to sort of flatten the nipple to a sort of football like shape when putting it in baby's mouth. Also, rub the nipple on the edge of the mouth to encourage them to open really wide for a good latch. Also, wear loose support for your breasts for the first few weeks. Like tank tops with shelf bras or a nursing bra a cup too large. I did that with my second dd and I have had no mastitis issues and we just passed our one year milestone. Get the La Leche League manual, they have a section on babies with tongue tie. http://store.llli.org/public/profile/201 Also try to find a La Leche League group in your area, there may be women who have had the same problem and they may have advice that can help you overcome that problem should it arise. Dont stress about it too much, there is nothing you can do about nursing until the baby is born, so getting upset or worrying about it will help no one. I knowhow difficult that can be, but really try to just enjoy being pregnant and let the rest just be, kwim? HTH :goodvibes:

I am a size b cup so, no real issues with a large cup size. :giggle: I did notice that my nipples tend to invert when I would squeeze my breast to get it in his mouth. Could that be an issue? THanks for the other great advice. I am off to look for that book now. I am determined to try harder this time and really make it work. I think I just got too frustrated with everything and being a first time mom last time and just gave up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amybabya (Post 3490795)
Find a good LC - meet with the ones at your hospital first and see what they have to say to you and if you like them.

the hospital LC was not the best. I met with her last time and she really was not a lot of help. I am going to find a LLL group here in town.

Quote:

Get some nipple butter from Earth Mama Angel Baby or something similar. Very good stuff. Your nipples will toughen up very quickly. It just hurts at first.
I am going to get the nipple butter now so I can have it on hand and ready

Quote:

Don't let them give you pain meds. I think this is one reason DD1 didn't latch.
nope, I don't do pain meds ever. They make me feel hyper and crazy. Motrin is all I will even think about touching.

Thanks so much guys. I know I am really early in the pregnancy, but I just want to be prepared. Last time, I didn't get a chance to try and nurse DS right after he was born either. I think that set us up for issues right from the start. by the time he was awake and ready to try and nurse, the LC could not be found anywhere and I couldn't get any help. Dh tried to help, but even with the two of us trying, we just couldn't get a good latch. When she FINALLY got in there, DS was sleeping and we of course could not get him awake at all. So, we went home from the hospital with me scared to death and feeling like I was starving him already. It just went downhill from there. :cry:

Dire Wolf 05-05-2008 12:45 PM

Re: getting early advice
 
You may want to look into nipple shields if your nipples invert. That could have been the whole issue the first time. I think pumping helps with that, but contact a lactation consultant before the baby is born to make sure you don't have inverted nipples. My step mom had that problem and she successfully nursed my sister, so it is something that can be overcome. Good luck!!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors