Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   12 month shot questions... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41416)

Tootsiemomma 09-14-2006 09:48 AM

12 month shot questions...

I'm pretty sure that this has been asked hundreds of times, but I'm trying to decide if I should delay or not get the MMR shot....I've heard some pretty horrific stories and I'm scared. Can someone please inform me of the pro's and con's of getting the shot versus not, and of getting the diseases? TIA

naturegirl7 09-14-2006 07:46 PM

Re: 12 month shot questions...

honestly, there is a ton of great info over at MDC - www.mothering.com in there Vaxing forum. The stickies and links are amazing and very very very helpful. And if you post this there - you will get tons of replies with more info, links, etc. It helped me immensely when I was researching this. pro's and con's can be biased for each person - I recommend you research it yourself and decide what *you* feel are the pros and cons. Especially the MMR cuz it truly is a scary vax. lots of side effects, and it isn't even guarenteed to be effective. It has the lowest effectiveness rate of them all.

good for you for questioning and wanting to get informed!

mamagina 09-14-2006 09:15 PM

I second mothering.com for LOTS of info, but I find it a tad biased against vaxing..
you could balance it with the CDC's website about vax's -biased for vaxing ;)
http://www.cdc.gov/node.do/id/0900f3ec8000e2f3

iris0110 09-15-2006 12:37 PM

My first thought is to scream Please don't get the MMR for you child. I say this because my son was a normal child before he was vaxed with MMR, he is now autistic. I am now totally anti vax, but if I had to choose just one to tell everyone to stay away from it would be MMR. It vaxes against diseases that are more of an annoyance than a real threat (measels, mumps and rubella are no more dangerous than the chicken pox). And the vax has been linked over an over again to autism. It is a very dangerous vaccine. If you feel that you have to get it, please wait till your child is at least 2 if not older. First because the blood brain barrier in a child over two is more complete and better able to keep the measels virus out, and second because if the worst should happen and your child should be affected by the vax you will have a better scale of previous behavior for comparison. My ds was vaxed at 18 months, he was a totally different child then than he was just one week after that vax. If he had been vaxed at 1 we might not have noticed the language loss as quickly.

keegans_mommy 09-15-2006 01:01 PM

Same experience as Shannon-I have one who's been damaged by vax's too but she has Asperger's so not quite as bad as autisim but it's difficult to deal with. She's not a normal child and we have literally spent thousands of dollars to help correct her but she will not be 100% normal. :(

Do your homework and arm yourself with education before making decisions. Some kids do just fine with these vax's and some (you never know who) don't "come out" ok. They go into a shell to never return.

Like a PP said, these illness's are no worse than the chicken pox or a bad case of the flu. There are also homeopathic remedies to do your own natural "vaxing" . We are collecting these meds to keep in our home. Our kids will be taking the flu meds everyday this flu season instead of the shot and that is guaranteed' to be toxin free :goodvibes:

Tootsiemomma 09-15-2006 01:59 PM

I feel so horrible for you mommas who've had children damaged by these vax's. That's one of my worst fears, I love my daughter the way she is, she's got a huge personality and is soo loving and expressive, although I would still love her the same, having that taken away would be IMO just like losing her, and would have the same effect on me and her father. I don't want that to happen and would fight the devil himself to prevent it. Thanks for the info, I have been doing lots of research into it and I'm pretty sure that we will not be getting this particular vax.

JustAugust 09-16-2006 12:29 AM

I'm not overly pro or anti vax. But I do know that LOTS of the info I received on MDC was completely untrue. I was given scare tactics just so I wouldn't vax my kid. I research everything on my own now! Very in depth. On both sides!

What people have to remember is that while yes, most kids can catch chicken pox, measles, etc. and recover competely. But some cannot. There is a little girl who went to school with a friend of mine's son, the whole school basically got the CP, all of them were fine except her. She is now in a wheel chair, and may never walk or talk again. I can't remember what it turned into, but it's REALLY bad. She was not vaxed. Most of the other children (though I'm sure not all of them) were. They caught a light case and recovered. Now probably having lifetime immunity as well.

I just think it's a case by case thing. Where we live, my son is at a high chance for catching Pertussis. If he were to catch it, he probably would not survive it as he is so tiny. So I'm getting that vaccination. He's not getting any of the others right now though.

I think generally the best thing is to get them all (or most) but in a schedule that is best for your child. I don't believe they need a million shots in their first year.

The MMR is a scary one from all the random info you can read on it. More times than not though, the information is not correct. Just look into the source from where it's coming.

keegans_mommy 09-16-2006 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffer23
What people have to remember is that while yes, most kids can catch chicken pox, measles, etc. and recover competely. But some cannot. There is a little girl who went to school with a friend of mine's son, the whole school basically got the CP, all of them were fine except her. She is now in a wheel chair, and may never walk or talk again. I can't remember what it turned into, but it's REALLY bad. She was not vaxed. Most of the other children (though I'm sure not all of them) were. They caught a light case and recovered. Now probably having lifetime immunity as well.

That is sad and can be quite scary! :( What I don't know is, did the parents give her the natural or homepathic meds available to non-vaxer (well all in general for that matter) to protect this child from this illness? There are ways to treat your child when the illness is going around. I am sorry for the child but unvax'd children can be protected without shots. :)

geckoed 09-16-2006 06:37 AM

http://www.vran.org/index.htm has some (antivax)
My mantra: When in doubt wait it out

Never give a vax you are scared of. You cannot remove it from your child, you can however do it later if you want.

Even my ped, who strongly believes in vaccinating, says MMR would bbe low on his list. If you went to my ped and asked him to do one vax at a time and only one vax every 3 months MMR would one of the last ones he did.

Tootsiemomma 09-16-2006 04:50 PM

Well, I did google the MMR as well as each of the diseases, I've made an appointment for my dd's 12 month check at which there will be no shots given, when I can ask questions and see if I can get some info sheets, I'm one of those moms who read everything, when my daughter was prescribed an antibiotic recently, of course I read the whole info sheet, and most of the time I do not give her the ab, this last time I had to as her infection was pretty bad. I'm still going to do lots more research on this vax as well as some others I'm confused about, why don't doctors explain everything to parents before they just inject them with stuff??