Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Purging the closets. What do you do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4143)

Tracylhl 05-07-2006 11:54 AM

Purging the closets. What do you do?

DH and I have spent the last couple days purging the house and closets to move everything around and make room for baby. To say that I keep just about everything would be an understatement. I have prom dresses from high school still! So, a lot of it has gone in the garbage and some stuff I'm going to e-bay, but there is a lot of stuff that I know won't really sell on e-bay. Especially clothes - mens suits, women's suits, nice dress shirts and brand name stuff. Most of it is a couple years old at least so not stuff that is in hot demand now.

What do you all do with that kind of stuff? Unfortunately we just had a garage sale about a month ago and dh isn't going to go for another one anytime soon. I'm hoping for one at the end of the year, but can't hold this stuff all till then. Do I send it all to the thrift store? Is it worth the extra trip (about 12 miles) to take stuff like this to a consignment store? I've never taken stuff to one and not really sure if it would get me much money or if it's more of just a pain. Other suggestions? Thanks! I'm really trying to be ruthless and get rid of TONS of stuff, but I tend to get hung up on not wanting to throw away the money spent on stuff (or possibly the money we could get for it) or I have sentimental attachments to stuff. :lostit:

Carrie 05-07-2006 12:17 PM

Re: Purging the closets. What do you do?

Hmm, well, you probably won't get too much at a consignment store. Those places mark stuff WAY up. I keep telling my mom not to bother buying the boys clothes at a resale store because they are often as much or more than new! If you donate them, you are giving low income families the chance to purchase bargain clothes (and if they are career type clothes that can be particularly helpful for people) as well as helping out a charity. I don't sell our old clothes--I just donate them. But we don't have much nice stuff to get rid of. It's always worth a try to see if you might get some money for them.

Tracylhl 05-07-2006 12:26 PM

Wow, Carrie! You really helped out! Along the lines of what you said about the thrift store and career clothes, I remembered that we have a place not far away that helps people struggling w/ addictions and abuse to get homes and careers started again. I bet that they could really use some career kind of clothing! I would feel good about giving them this stuff. As with most of us SAHM's (and parents in general) I would like to get a little extra money out of this stuff when I know we spent a lot on it to start, but donating it directly to someone that can really benefit from it would be just as rewarding!

Keep the ideas coming, Girls. But I definately think that this is what I'll do with at least DH's suits and dress shirts that he's ummm.... not squeezing into so comfortably these days! :laugh:

Luv2bemommy 05-07-2006 02:52 PM

Sell them here or on ebay? lol

SandyG 05-07-2006 03:10 PM

i like carries idea
and the other stuff you can sell it here for little money +the cost of acutal shipping

hollyhobby30 05-07-2006 04:00 PM

I bet after all of it has left the house, you won't even know it's gone or remember it.

Good for you girl!!!

I'll get your PAT out Mon.

Mel 05-07-2006 04:18 PM

All of our stuff gets donated to the Airman's Attic (thrift store on the Air Force Base that gives free items to low rank Airmen) or to the thrift store here that's partnered with the battered women's shelter. There's also Freecycle. That's where I'll be sending the bed...I don't want to drive it anywhere myself so I like that someone that wants it will come to the house to get it. :)

MamaStace 05-07-2006 04:30 PM

Tracy. . .

Call me. My friend who owns that thrift store would probably make an offer on whatever you don't want to donate. She'd even come pick it up if it was enough stuff to be worth it! Furniture, clothes, toys, etc. . .

mommypooh 05-07-2006 04:51 PM

I like it here as we have a group called columbus buy sell or trade that I can sell stuff on. I put up a large box of womens clothes for $20 bucks and by the time she got here I had 3 boxes for her, I told her she could have 2 of the boxes but the one I had to ask more for as it was a lot of stuff that had tags still on it and was never worn and she took it for another $20. I have sold a mattress for $100 on there, my waterbed sold for $150, I have sold my swing, bouncer, and all kinds of other baby stuff on there and made a good amount of money. I tend to try to price things really cheap so that someone who doesn't have a lot can aford it.

you could see if you ahve something like that.

MelissaCoffey 05-07-2006 06:17 PM

I try to donate anything we have to who will get the most out of it. Baby items to a crisis pregnancy center that actually offers help instead of just condemnation, women's clothing to a battered women's shelter or a place that helps women get on their feet after a bad life situation, housewares to the Salvation Army or on Freecycle, but I don't know about men's clothing...

Isn't cleaning out a GREAT feeling? It's hard to let go at first, I did that when I had this great dress from Motherhood Maternity...But then I thought, so what that it cost so much? Now someone else who couldn't afford it will get a chance at a nice dress that looks horrible on eme :laugh:

Melissa
http://www.diaperdecisions.com