Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   My nipples hurt so bad! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414435)

camelfam 05-04-2008 05:55 PM

My nipples hurt so bad!

My nipples are so sore...I'm wondering what the heck is going on. My daughter is almost 17 months and I haven't had any soreness since her first weeks of life. I'm so worried I'm pregnant (when I was pregnant with her my breasts were really sore). Please tell me it is something else. We weren't planning to get pregnant yet. She's had a cold. Could that have something to do with it? What else might it be? It hurts so bad I don't want to nurse her.

jeannewojo 05-04-2008 06:00 PM

Re: My nipples hurt so bad!

Does your daughter have white patches in her mouth? Are your nipples red, cracked or bleeding? Have you called your pediatrician or family dr? Almost sounds like she may have passed you something. I am jumping to thrush, but you could even have something bacterial/viral passed by her cold that is causing your soreness.

saongiri 05-04-2008 06:04 PM

could def. be thrush but I would pos!!!

camelfam 05-04-2008 06:17 PM

That's the strange thing. My nipples look completely normal. No cracking, bleeding or even redness. But they hurt! I'm taking her to the pediatrician tomorrow because she has had a bad cold for 2 1/2 weeks and I just want to make sure that she is okay. I can't look in her mouth right now because she is asleep, but I will check for whiteness first thing in the morning. What do I do if it is thrush? Would her pediatrician be able to give both of us something or would I have to see my doctor too?

SMTFamily06 05-04-2008 06:52 PM

I am not sure about the thrush thing sounds like you could be preggo to me that is EXACTLY how it happened with us! We we're trying but trying with no known time of O was hard. I hope if it's thrush you can get it taken care of soon or if your preggo congrats ;)

MUHAJABAH 05-04-2008 07:07 PM

:hugs: mama, I'm having the same issue now, they are so red and sore :( and KILL but I know its because I feel his top teeth and he leaves bite marks. I hope you get it resolved!

Sammymac'smamma 05-04-2008 08:07 PM

If it is thrush, I had the same thing and tried EVERYTHING, natural that is! Included was trying to rid my body of yeast by pounding back the acidophillus and grapefruit seed extract, as well as cutting out sugar, milk, yeast. This worked well for me, but the only thing that worked for Sammy was gentian violet. Messy, but well worth it! I felt the yeast in my breast as a soreness, and sometimes a shooting pain.

Irishmommy 05-04-2008 08:14 PM

Also, if she has an ear infection it could be affecting her latch. That might be it.

camelfam 05-05-2008 11:02 AM

Okay, well I have a pediatrician's appointment later this afternoon, so hopefully they can tell me what's up. I guess I'll pick up a pregnancy test on the way home. We definitely want another baby, I just really wanted to drop at least 30 pounds before doing so. We've also been on vacation and I've been drinking a glass or two of wine each night which I normally never do. Ugh! That's why I'm hoping I'm not pregnant quite yet. Oh well, what can you do!

camelfam 05-05-2008 05:11 PM

Okay, I think we found out the problem. She does have an ear infection which I guess if affecting her latch. I think I'll still take a pregnancy test just to rule that out. This is her first ear infection. Have any of your kids had an ear infection that you did not give the antibiotics for? I hear all this stuff about antibiotic resistant bacteria and I'm worried about giving her antibiotics if it might clear up on its own. Then again, I'm scared to death about not giving them to her and something serious happening. I have a dear friend who lost her little girl when she was close to my daughter's age because they missed an ear infection that spread to her brain before it was too late. I don't think my husband would not let me give her the antibiotics anyway. Well, thank you for your advice!