Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Constant nursing thru night and no schedule is killing me (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414583)

tranmama 05-04-2008 09:00 PM

Constant nursing thru night and no schedule is killing me

I have always co-slept with DD, aside from a few months ago when I was actually able to get her to begin the night in her crib, then I brought her to bed with me at her first waking. Now, she will not sleep anywhere except next to me, and she is still waking up every 2 hours all night long! This may be normal, but it is killing me, and I'm so frustrated with hearing other mamas say that THEY'RE BF babies are now only waking once or not at all during the night. I don't get it.

Also, DD has no schedule whatsoever. She naps and eats and plays at different times every day. I am finding it very difficult to plan any errands around her. I'm really trying to fit into HER schedule (as I've been told is best), but I cannot keep this inconsistency going any longer. I must be able to schedule appointments, grocery trips, homeschool for DS, trips to the gym (these are important to me right now), etc and still be able to make sure she gets her needed naps and feedings and playtime. I never know when she's going to be hungry, and it never fails that she will fall asleep in the car on the short drive to the grocery store. I don't want to wake her, especially if she would not nap at home even though I knew she needed it.

I apologize for babbling on and on, but I'm seriously beginning to lose it. I need to get some control so that DD, DS and I can get what we need. Am I totally wrong to need a schedule for her??

mommy_have_it 05-04-2008 09:42 PM

Re: Constant nursing thru night and no schedule is killing me

I feel your pain:banghead: If your willing to give it a try, this worked WONDERS for us. When my youngest who is 3 months now was still up every 2 hours (if I was lucky), colicy, gassy, and reflux at almost 2 months I ordered an Amby Sleep Hammock. BEST thing I ever did, I am not kidding, the first day we got it was the day she turned 2 months old, I put her in it (while she was still awake!) she looked so sweet-put her arms above her head and slept for 6 HOURS! Woke up, I nursed, put her back in the Amby, slept 4 more hours. She has never slept less the 4 hours since we got the swing and usually sleeps about 8 now. No Joke, best investment ever.
You can check out the website or ebay. They also have a huge resale value. Good Luck~Keep the faith:goodvibes:

momofkali 05-04-2008 09:48 PM

We used the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution"
It has some tricks, it's not a miracle book though.
I found a schedule very important with my DD.
She would wake every hour to feed until she was almost 1 yr old.
We went through a few days of hell getting her to conform to a schedule that was good for everyone but it was way worth it in the end.

proudmama4 05-05-2008 05:55 AM

The no cry sleep solution book was good for us getting DS on a daytime nap schedule. He was sleeping great during the night, but during the day it was short nap here, short nap there. Now he gives me a 2+ hour nap around 10/11am and then around 3pm. It makes his mood so much better in the evenings too! But yea, the book is not a miracle. Just a method that so far has worked well for us. But it takes time.

tranmama 05-05-2008 06:21 AM

My LLL group has that book in their library. I'll check it out tonight. I got it once before, started reading it, and got a little bored with it...I really don't know why. I'll read it through this time.

DD kept me up so much last night. She was waking up every hour to two hours. I am so exhausted right now, and I'm going to have to go back to bed as soon as she takes her first nap of the day. I'm going to have to miss my favorite gym class this morning because I'm too exhausted for it. I feel selfish and guilty for being upset about missing a stupid class at the gym, but I feel like this happens all the time.

sweety13 05-05-2008 07:00 AM

:hugs: :hugs:

aliandmimismom 05-05-2008 12:09 PM

I feel your pain too, this is the very reason I came to this forum today! My dd just turned 9 months old and is the exact same, she is napping right now (in MY bed) and it is the only place I can get her to nap, she nurses to sleep (only way she'll sleep, either that of in the mai tai and only if I'm wearing it! I am completely worn out too, and my poor ds is starting to feel neglected compare to dd. Oh, and to make matters worse, she will only fall asleep between 9 and 10pm, and that makes for a long and crazy day. She sleeps from about 9:30is until 11 or midnight, and then is up every hour or so to nurse. She also doesn't take solids well, and the ped. told me she needs to eat more solids and drink less milk...I guess off to the library I go to get that book, I borrowed it a few months ago when I figured she didn't have to much of a problem, but at 9 mos this seems to be a bad habit that she refuses to break! Sorry to kinda hijack, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone :)

JessG 05-05-2008 12:27 PM

I personally don't think the child setting the routine it best at all, not unless you have the kind of baby that is regular all on their own. We started very early with ours as far as routines go (not a schedule, that's a bit rigid). I get them up at the same time every day and lay them down awake for their naps at pretty much the same times. If they need to eat and they are still sleeping, I wake them. The co-sleeping is really gonna hurt the all night thing. Put her in her own room, or at least her own bed. Once their eating gets regular and their metabolism settles into a routine, they start sleeping better. Feed her if she's hungry, but only allow full feedings and not snacking every hour or 2. It will likely take a bit to get things to click, but I think you can do it. If you have any questions, please pm me. Oh, my first was sleeping 10 hours by 10 weeks and my second was sleeping 10 hours by 9 weeks (both EBF). Sounds nice, doesn't it?

tranmama 05-05-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessG (Post 3498992)
I personally don't think the child setting the routine it best at all, not unless you have the kind of baby that is regular all on their own. We started very early with ours as far as routines go (not a schedule, that's a bit rigid). I get them up at the same time every day and lay them down awake for their naps at pretty much the same times. If they need to eat and they are still sleeping, I wake them. The co-sleeping is really gonna hurt the all night thing. Put her in her own room, or at least her own bed. Once their eating gets regular and their metabolism settles into a routine, they start sleeping better. Feed her if she's hungry, but only allow full feedings and not snacking every hour or 2. It will likely take a bit to get things to click, but I think you can do it. If you have any questions, please pm me. Oh, my first was sleeping 10 hours by 10 weeks and my second was sleeping 10 hours by 9 weeks (both EBF). Sounds nice, doesn't it?

OMG that sounds like a freaking dream! :giggle: And maybe I'd have a dream or two if I could get some sleep!

In all seriousness, I was able to get her to sleep at the same time as her big brother goes to sleep (9 pm) and she woke up a lot during the night and earlier than usual this morning. I'm thinking it's because I put her to bed earlier than what she's used to last night. I"m going to keep it up...she's had a couple of naps today (one she's trying to wake from right now). I'm going to make sure she gets another nap later today, then to bed by 9 pm again. And I fed her solids for dinner last night and oatmeal for breakfast this morning. She's nursed a couple of times since breakfast, once being after breakfast, and she fell asleep for her first nap, which lasted not quite an hour. It's going to be rough, but I'm pretty sure I can have something in place by next weekend if I keep it up during the week. At one point, a few months ago, I was able to get her to sleep in her crib, but only after she cried and cried and cried....it killed me. I much prefer her falling asleep at the breast. If I can work that into a schedule, which I think I can (because I'd like for her meals to be on sort of a schedule, too, after all), we'll be doing much better. Thanks!