Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Co-sleepers, where does your baby nap? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4152)

Kama 05-07-2006 01:01 PM

Co-sleepers, where does your baby nap?

I have taken a lot of insults ect from the few people who know I co sleep, as I am sure anyone who does has. I usually just dont tell people. The problem I run into with this is when my daughter naps I hold her I dont lay her down by herself. So when someone is around us during the day they just don't get why I am not putting her down.
I also have a really hard time getting anything around the house done because I really only get brief breaks from holding her when she wants to play. If shes tired or hungry or bored she wants me to hold her. I am pretty sure this is going to change when shes more mobile and able to entertain herself but I was wondering, where does your baby sleep when they nap? Tell me I am not the only one who cant put her down?
She usually takes 3 or 4 naps a day and typically nurses to sleep. A few times she has fallen asleep in her swing or just drifted off in my arms.
Am I making a mistake here?

Ontariomama 05-07-2006 01:18 PM

Re: Co-sleepers, where does your baby nap?

Nathan naps in my arms on the sofa, laying on the sofa with the coffee table pushed up against it (I put him down after he's asleep), or laying on the sofa with ME! lol

I figure it gives me an opportunity to stop for a few minutes too. :D

vick 05-07-2006 01:40 PM

For the first few months, Isabel pretty much only slept on people or in-arms. I always nursed to sleep, and eventually she could be moved to her co-sleeper (or, later, her crib) when she was asleep.

She stopped nurisng to sleep a while back and now nurses until she's full and then I put her in her crib (it's, like, two feet from my bed). She naps in her crib and goes to sleep at night in her crib, but she now wakes several times a night, so as soon as I'm in bed, she sleeps with me/us until the morning.

CMamma 05-07-2006 01:50 PM

It depends on him... right now he's sleeping on the couch... probably just b/c he fell asleep on me & that's where I left him. I let him nap anywhere though... crib, pack-n-play, carseat, swing, bed... anywhere :)

imommy 05-07-2006 03:02 PM

DS co-slept with me for naps for the first few months of his life. He sleeps in his crib now.

I am wondering if possibly if you put the babe in a baby carrier if you could get more done. Would she sleep that way? I always found when my son was smaller that I could put him in the carrier and he'd sleep through just about anything.

Luv2bemommy 05-07-2006 03:04 PM

Meghan naps in our bed.. I just put pillows on both sides and we have pillows in the floor on both sides incase she rolls off.. :mrgreen:

Kele 05-07-2006 08:27 PM

Rachel sleeps in my arms for her naps - two a day about an hour each. So stuff doesn't get done...makes me crazy but it will, in fact, be there for me to take care of later. I have two older boys and they know that when she's sleeping, I am not available to get up and help them (although I do, of course, for any necessity).
I've tried laying her down and sometimes I can put her in my bed, but then she wakes up sooner. And she nurses to sleep and back to sleep - and while sleeping! I'll take it while I can because it will be over with too soon.

mommy2zander 05-08-2006 01:25 AM

You are doing a great job!! Your daughter will only be little for such a short time! Enjoy all the time holding her & don't worry about what anyone else thinks!!

My son who will be 2 at the end of the month can actually wave bye to me, which I believe to be completely due to attachment parenting him! He knows I am here for him when he needs me, so he also knows he can wave bye and go play without me, cause I will be there again when he needs me again!!

My son doesn't nap much anymore, (he chooses to sleep 13 hours at night instead), but when he did nap, he would fall asleep in my lap & either nap with me or on the living room floor on a blanket! People were always asking me why I didn't move him to the playroom or our bedroom, but I liked him napping right where I could see him!!

House work really isn't that important!! My mom used to have a cross-stiched picture hanging on the wall when we were kids that read: "Cleaning & dusting can wait till tomorrow, For I'm rocking my baby & babies don't keep!!" Maybe you need to find this wall hanging & refer your friends & family to it when they question you!! :hugegrin:

Radish4ever 05-08-2006 05:03 AM

My daughter slept like that until she was mobile! No problem at all! She is extremely independent now (at 12 months).........

Now she naps on the floor on a blanket with a pillow and her lovey (we just took away the pacifier and I'm nursing her to sleep mostly, but I love the bonding time anyway!) in our bedroom.

I think you're doing what is vest for your family!

happy2bhome 05-08-2006 02:50 PM

Ds (9 months) usually naps on a blanket on the floor. (i.e., that's where I put him after I get him to sleep)