Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   couple of newbie questions - help? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415326)

Katherine 05-05-2008 03:02 PM

couple of newbie questions - help?

I did not bf w/ dd, and really want to this time. I'm due in four and a half weeks. I will be able to stay home w/ this baby for about 2.5-3 months, then will be working full time and needing to pump. I have several questions, and am very new to all this - please speak slowly and use really small words ;)

1 - I am looking at the medela pump in style advance. Any drawbacks to that, things I should know?

2 - I will only be able to pump once a day at work, around 11 or 11:30-ish. I can pump again after 3, but I could also just cross the street and pick up the baby and nurse at the sitters then, too, which I'd rather do. I've been reading about people needing to pump multiple times a day while at work. Has anyone successfully done it with just one pumping session while at work?

3 - What would you suggest i stock up on before birth? I'm thinking nipple butter, but what else? I'm making my own breast pads, and am looking for nursing bras and such.

4 - How long was it until you were at a stable bra size after giving birth? Maybe that's an ignorant question, but with dd, by boobs were HUGE right after birth, then shrunk right back when I did not nurse. How do I know what size bra to get? I'm a 34B pre-pregnancy and am about a 36C right now.

5 - My dh doesn't want to buy a pump until we know if I'm going to be successful at bf'ing, but I am concerned about building up a freezer stash...I have a manual pump now, would that be enough to begin with, or should I really get a good electric pump now or just after birth to really get a good stash going?

6 - I'm terrified of the baby not taking a bottle - my bff's ds did that and she had to quit work. What bottles/nipple combos have worked for you? I am also concerned about getting bpa free bottles, but glass is not an option b/c the sitter doesn't want them around the other kids - too much chance they'll break.

7 - if you wish you'd known one thing or done one thing differently when you started, what is it?

spryght 05-05-2008 03:38 PM

Re: couple of newbie questions - help?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine (Post 3500705)
1 - I am looking at the medela pump in style advance. Any drawbacks to that, things I should know?

I have a Medela Freestyle that I love, love, love. Works basically the same as the PISA but has a rechargeable battery and attachments for hooking the bottles to a nursing bra so you can pump hands free.

Quote:

2 - I will only be able to pump once a day at work, around 11 or 11:30-ish. I can pump again after 3, but I could also just cross the street and pick up the baby and nurse at the sitters then, too, which I'd rather do. I've been reading about people needing to pump multiple times a day while at work. Has anyone successfully done it with just one pumping session while at work?

How long will you be at work? I'm gone from my LO about 10 hours and she has 12oz of milk and some baby food while I'm gone (I didn't go back to work full time until LO was 6 months, worked part time from 3-6 months which was actually harder milkwise). Another possibility is pumping one time during the night after your LO goes to sleep or in the morning before she wakes up. Also hope that you are a good producer for the pump.

Quote:

3 - What would you suggest i stock up on before birth? I'm thinking nipple butter, but what else? I'm making my own breast pads, and am looking for nursing bras and such.

I like the spray on lanolin myself.

Quote:

4 - How long was it until you were at a stable bra size after giving birth? Maybe that's an ignorant question, but with dd, by boobs were HUGE right after birth, then shrunk right back when I did not nurse. How do I know what size bra to get? I'm a 34B pre-pregnancy and am about a 36C right now.

Not sure about this as I never changed sizes much myself, but I have seen several places that suggest getting a couple of sleep bras or nursing tanks for the period right after birth. They are a bit stretchier and less fitted so they allow for size changes better.

Quote:

5 - My dh doesn't want to buy a pump until we know if I'm going to be successful at bf'ing, but I am concerned about building up a freezer stash...I have a manual pump now, would that be enough to begin with, or should I really get a good electric pump now or just after birth to really get a good stash going?

I personally believe that one of the biggest contributors to nursing success is just deciding that it will be successful, that and education. That's the basis that I used when deciding whether to buy a pump before my LO was born or not. Of course I bought it. :giggle:

Quote:

6 - I'm terrified of the baby not taking a bottle - my bff's ds did that and she had to quit work. What bottles/nipple combos have worked for you? I am also concerned about getting bpa free bottles, but glass is not an option b/c the sitter doesn't want them around the other kids - too much chance they'll break.

They aren't cheap, but we finally ended up with the old style adiri nursers. Alot of this is trial and error with your LO. We went through several bottles before we found the one that didn't choke or overwhelm our dd.

Quote:

7 - if you wish you'd known one thing or done one thing differently when you started, what is it?

Trust your body and your baby. Make sure you educate yourself as much as possible so that if the people at the hospital are telling you something that doesn't sound quite right you can get a second opinion. Just because someone is an LC doesn't mean they really are supportive of nursing.

Good luck and congratulations,
Amy

RobertsMomma3 05-05-2008 05:53 PM

I am EBF my son who is a month old. I plan on going back to work one day so I bought a manual pump. (An electric just isn't in our budget right now) I think it does the job well. I just pump when I get extra time, which is rarely during the day. But I always pump at night, and so far I have about 25oz total in my freezer stash.

AND, I TOTALLY reccommend Gerber cool breast gel pads. Those first few weeks that are real rough and your breasts are sore.. seriously, these things are AMAZING. I bought mine from Meijer..

Katherine 05-05-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spryght (Post 3501074)
I have a Medela Freestyle that I love, love, love. Works basically the same as the PISA but has a rechargeable battery and attachments for hooking the bottles to a nursing bra so you can pump hands free.

Thank you - I'll look into that, since I'll be pumping during my prep period at work and will also need to get actual work work done, too.

How long will you be at work? I'm gone from my LO about 10 hours and she has 12oz of milk and some baby food while I'm gone (I didn't go back to work full time until LO was 6 months, worked part time from 3-6 months which was actually harder milkwise). Another possibility is pumping one time during the night after your LO goes to sleep or in the morning before she wakes up. Also hope that you are a good producer for the pump.

I'll be gone from 7:30-3:30 ish. Good news is the sitter is directly across the street from school and I can bring the boob to her if pumping doesn't work out, and run over there as soon as needed after school.

Not sure about this as I never changed sizes much myself, but I have seen several places that suggest getting a couple of sleep bras or nursing tanks for the period right after birth. They are a bit stretchier and less fitted so they allow for size changes better.

Cool - I have one already - will have to get more. What's your fave brand? I saw some at target...

I personally believe that one of the biggest contributors to nursing success is just deciding that it will be successful, that and education. That's the basis that I used when deciding whether to buy a pump before my LO was born or not. Of course I bought it. :giggle:

funnily enough, that's my philosophy on cd'ing

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertsMomma3 (Post 3502335)

AND, I TOTALLY reccommend Gerber cool breast gel pads. Those first few weeks that are real rough and your breasts are sore.. seriously, these things are AMAZING. I bought mine from Meijer..

Thank you - I'll pick some up.

Thanks for the responses!

tammilf 05-06-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

I have used the original and the advance...like the advance very much. Both are a little bulky in the bag and all. The freestyle appears to be much smaller.

Quote:

I try to feed or pump before leaving for work, then at 10ish and 2ish. If I feed early-ish (6ish) and don't pump, I am leaking by 10. So you may want to try to train your body for the schedule you will have before you go back to work. (I don't mean don't feed your baby between 7 - 11...but to maybe try to offer a bottle of expressed milk rather than breast during that time...should give you a chance to see how she/he will take the bottle too.)

Can you work out a chance to do two pumpings at work for 6-8 weeks? Then taper off. Drop to one pumping once or twice a week, gradually dropping it to one more often, til you only pump the once regularly.

Quote:

These are more for when you are pumping, so not urgent before birth. I use four bottles while pumping, have up to 4 in the fridge and send 3-4 to dc. So lots of bottles. Also a plan for freezing storage, either bags or cube trays, plus some kind of container in the freezer.

Quote:

If you can swing it, it will add to your chances of being successful. Manual was very tough for me. You could check into the cost of rental for a month? Then purchase one if you want a personal one after that. Personally, I would just buy it in the first place. Make sure you shop around on cost. Most places will price match and I got my PISA - Limited edition for about $75 cheaper than the store was retailing it and $100+ cheaper than some online listings.

Quote:

I think introducing the bottle early-ish can help this, especially if you are not having latching/feeding problems....I mean a bottle now and then after 6-8 weeks. I think most babies manage this ok.
The glass bottles I have seen are pretty sturdy, but there are bpa free pretty easily available. We use the medela.

Quote:

For my first lo, I wish I had the electric pump before we got home. He struggled to latch and I was badly engorged. (I was pretty engorged with lo #2, but she is a nursing champ, so I was not as uncomfortable.)
OH....and nurse as soon as you can after you deliver. I think this made a world of difference for us w/ #2. She nursed for a long time right away and then slept almost the next 8 hrs or so (barely interested in nursing). Then when she perked up again she did fine. With ds...he was away from me for about an hour, then nursed a little..then sleepy, sleepy.... then struggled. I don't think he got the practice during the natural instinct window... (We really struggled for awhile with him, but successfully bf til he was 22 ms, so you can get through rough times, too.)

Sorry so long...good luck!

spryght 05-06-2008 03:45 PM

Yes, I think the Target nursing tanks are great (and cheap!!!). I wear them all the time, even now at 9 months. And I used to be an exclusively underwire girl.

Since you say you will be pumping during your prep period I'm assuming your a teacher, right? Just a thought/ some information. My mom breastfed me as a teacher in the days of basically no pumps available. She went back to work when I was 4 months old. She nursed me before she dropped me off at the sitters. I had one bottle of formula a day at the sitters. Then she nursed me as soon as she picked me up in the afternoon and throughout the evening. We nursed until 9 months when I had a nursing strike. Since the information wasn't really out there at the time my mom thought I had just weaned. All of that to say that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Its good to start out trying for all, but as long as you've got a good, established supply before you start supplementing you can probably still keep nursing even if you can't pump enough.

Amy

Katherine 05-06-2008 09:09 PM

Yeah, I do teach - that's why only the one time a day to pump. Our lunches are *supposed* to be unencumbered, but they're not - I can't count on having a stable lunch time to pump, so the best i can do is (hopefully) have a plan right before lunch - and that's only if the schedule works out, which i may not know for a few months yet. I can't exactly ditch my class to go pump.

That is a really good suggestion to try to use the same schedule at home as I will at work - with the bottle mid-morning and all.

We have decided to go with the medela bottles - I have 20 on the way, so we should be good there.

I looked at nursing bras tonight - the woman at the dressing room at target annoyed me, so I didn't get anything there, and the walmart ones were a little....idk....offputting in their little plastic packages.

Question - do you think renting a pump for right after birth would be a good thing to do? I just don't know if dh will go for shelling out for the medela pump right away - maybe I need to try talking with him more.

And looking at those pumps, with all the tubes and breast shells and dials and such - are they hard to figure out? i can read a manual, but the pisa looks like a still.

tammilf 05-06-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine (Post 3514290)
And looking at those pumps, with all the tubes and breast shells and dials and such - are they hard to figure out? i can read a manual, but the pisa looks like a still.

:roflmbo:

You know I can bf in front of just about anyone... I don't like pumping in front of anyone. It seems so weird and awkward. My son is so interested now tho, so I talk to him about what I am doing. (It is funny, he even tried to put the shield to his chest to "make milk for baby" :goodvibes: )

It is not difficult at all to use though. Put the shields/couplers together, twist em onto a bottle, jam the works to your chest and off you go! The advance will have a lighter, faster suction a first and then will slow. I try to do this with my original, but it is more of a hassle, especially if I am not at a table and am trying to hang onto everything. At work, I lower my chair as low as it goes and set the bottles into the stabilizer things. Then I can rest those on my legs, lean the back of the couplers against the drawer in the middle of my desk and then I can use my hands to type, or surf the net, or buy diapers!

slamont 05-06-2008 11:12 PM

You are already getting some great advice hear. :thumbsup: I don't pump, so I don't have too much advise there.

Quote:

You body will adjust to what your baby needs. I'm not sure about getting enough milk, but I assume it would be okay. Comfortwise, it will take a little while, but as soon as your body learns the routine, your good to go.

Quote:

My boobs could have od'ed on lanolin cream at the beginning. I also second the cooling pads. I don't remember what brand I had, but they were like a gel that stuck on and could be put in the freezer and reused. Nursing tanks are great too. They make discrete public nursing and night nursing a breeze.

Quote:

I envy you B and C cups. My boobs are either huge or huger.
I think they started to go down a little at about 10 months, but I think that mine took longer to get the memo on some let down issues too, so I may be an extreme case.

Quote:

I was going to suggest renting here, but then you mentioned it.

Quote:

ds wont take one either. But in the past, the closest he has come to taking one, I was nowhere to be found. If I were in the room, he just didn't see the point when there is a perfectly good boob there.

Quote:

Nope, I'm perfect. Well not really, but I can't think of anything right now.

Oh wait maybe to have attempted a nursing schedule earlier on, but I have no clue how to do that.

kittykat2481 05-06-2008 11:24 PM

Regarding the pump - I got a new PIS on craigslist, sealed in the box, for $165 - so deals are out there. It works fine for me I guess - I had to buy larger shields, but that's not Medela's fault lol. I've never tried any other pump so I don't know how it works for me compared to anything else. I will say, though, that I almost never double pump because it's just a PITA. So a Medela Swing would probably have been fine for me. If you're pumping at work, you'll probably need to double pump to save time, so you'll probably want a hands free pumping bra. Otherwise you'll never be able to hang on to everything, and if you ever do get set up right, your nose will itch lol. Also, you can pump at night after LO goes to sleep and again in the morning and build a stash in your freezer for when pumping once a day isn't enough. By the way, I LOVE the Lansinoh freezer storage bags. As far as the bottle, I introduced one at 4 weeks, and just had DH give a supplemental 2 oz at his bed time feeding. That way I wasn't missing a nursing session, but he had his practice with the bottle. Oh, and we use Playtex Drop-Ins... BPA free! :)