Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Please Help, Im at the end of my rope...**UPDATED** (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416217)

Poohb10454 05-06-2008 12:21 PM

Please Help, Im at the end of my rope...**UPDATED**

I am not sure whats going on with my little one, or my supply. First let me say I am not completely sure if this is teething or supply related...I am treating it as the later.

I had been pumping and donating for the last few months...I took a few weeks of pumping and just last week started trying to pump again. My little one won't stay on either breast long..he just comes off and screams. I am no longer feeling let down, which used to be very strong feeling or even painful at times. I can't squeeze any milk out and not getting even a drop from pumping.

I am afraid he is hungry, but he wont take a bottle...he just chews on the nipple. The last week, he has gone from my happy baby to crying all the time and not napping at all during the day.

I am offering the breast at least every hour, taking fenugreek and drinking loads of water...What do I do? Im at the end of my rope. I even let him cry for about 15 min in his swing because I just was so overwhelmed..I had to take a moment, and thats just not like me.

***UPDATE***
I decided to take him to the Dr. this morning, just to rule out any medical issues..well, he has a really bad ear infection in one ear so I assume this is our problem. My poor baby, but I am glad its not a supply issue.

lydiamom 05-06-2008 02:31 PM

Re: Please Help, Im at the end of my rope...

:hugs: :hugs:

I don't really have any advice, but wanted to give you hugs.

I don't know why your supply would just dry up like that :headscratch: if thats what is happening. With dd1 I was great at pumping at first, then didn't for a while and when I tried to go back to it I would only get about 10mL. But I know my dd still got milk when she nursed--she was gaining weight and had wet diapers and all that. Pumping is not an indication of milk supply, so I would pay more attention to what your lo is doing.

Oh, and oatmeal is supposed to help increase supply. And make sure you are getting enough calories yourself.

Hang in there mama!!!

Irishmommy 05-06-2008 04:10 PM

I don't have any advice for you (more than what you are already doing). I'd say that since you are offering the breast so much, maybe you aren't filling up as much as you were, so maybe let down isn't as pronounced? Also, maybe baby is teething or there is some other reason for his fussiness. I'm sure your supply didn't just dry up without warning and if you were pumping extra milk, that makes it even less likely in my mind.

Keep doing what you are doing and bake yourself a BIG batch of oatmeal cookies!!

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

valpopp 05-06-2008 05:57 PM

If it does not get better in a couple days I would talk to a lactation consultant or your doc, if you are worried

*Katherine* 05-06-2008 06:31 PM

do you think that he could be teething? I would maybe give him some Hylands teething tablets. The crying all the time and chewing is what made me think of that.

Poohb10454 05-06-2008 07:42 PM

I go back and forth between thinking its teething, supply issues and ear problems. *our middle child has chronic ear infections and tubes*

Out of the blue earlier I started leaking so that is a good sign i suppose. We are going to a La Leche Leauge conference on saturday so there will be alot of people to ask questions to there. I think I am going to look into the ears as well so I can see if that is or is not the problem .

He is having wet diapers, and quite alot so I think thats good too right?

*Katherine* 05-06-2008 08:31 PM

wet diapers are good, that means he is eating. I am willing to bet something is bothering him. I hope that you are able to figure it out :hugs: These kids should come with help buttons :giggle:

Poohb10454 05-07-2008 12:39 PM

Re: Please Help, Im at the end of my rope...**UPDATED**

posted an update :)