Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The insatiable need to suck...?? What's happening? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416308)

Mirasmom 05-06-2008 01:26 PM

The insatiable need to suck...?? What's happening?

Has shown up at 9 weeks?? What's with that??

Yesterday he nursed from about 12-8 constant- I maybe had an hour in between a couple of feeds, but he would latch, suck a few and then the eyes would roll back into his head, but if I unlatched him, the eyes POP open and awake he is rooting! AH!:banghead: I thought maybe growth spurt, but then at 845 after I was still nursing him, he passed out and slept till 4:45 am (that's normal for him to sleep that long). So surely if it was a growth spurt he would have nursed more at night, right??

So today I had a class at work from 8-12- he took 2 bottles of 3 oz each at the sitter and was super happy. The last bottle was about 15 mins before I got home. When we got home at 1 he ate back and forth for an hour, fell asleep, but when I unlatched the same thing happened as yesterday- root root root. I know he's not hungry! He has NEVER taken a paci well, but I need a nap badly and I don't want to sit in a chair with my boob in his mouth so he can sleep when he's never done this before and he's not eating anyway, so I get out a MAM paci- nope, a soothie, nope, a nuk and BAM- he's sucking away and away and sleeping. WHAT'S GOING ON?! He hate's pacis!

Mags462 05-06-2008 01:55 PM

Re: The insatiable need to suck...?? What's happening?

I have no scientific/developmental answer for you... only to say that my little guy was born on 3/04 right around the same time as your DS and he is sucking like mad lately..... if he doesn't have a pacifier he is sucking on his hands.... he's always been a "so-so" paci user, but the constant sucking on the hands thing is totally new.... maybe it is a 9 week thing!

Mirasmom 05-06-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mags462 (Post 3510211)
I have no scientific/developmental answer for you... only to say that my little guy was born on 3/04 right around the same time as your DS and he is sucking like mad lately..... if he doesn't have a pacifier he is sucking on his hands.... he's always been a "so-so" paci user, but the constant sucking on the hands thing is totally new.... maybe it is a 9 week thing!

YES! We've got the hands too! Our bday is also 3/4 :)

Jakesmama2002 05-07-2008 10:37 AM

I don't have the scientific facts and all but I know that the need to suck is a developmental need and that the best way we as parents can fulfill that need is through nursing. My lo goes through spurts like this too and it can seem overwhelming at times.

Can you lay down with your kiddo? That has been our fav! Kaiya nurses, I sleep, and we're all happy. Even if you're not a cosleeping family maybe you could l snuggle together for naps.

fussybutt 05-07-2008 12:03 PM

Wow, so glad I ran across this. DD is 10 weeks now and has been ding the same thing. I've always tried to avoid paci's but I'm so tired and SORE from the constant nursing. She's NOT eating either, just sitting there all comfy and warm with a big ol' boob in her mouth. Must be a phase or something if we are all doing the same. Good Luck!!

my3sweetpeas 05-07-2008 12:42 PM

I remember when my 3 baby's did that!! Don't worry it will stop soon, I can remember the pain!!! I used paci's with all three of my babies and when they found their hands I put socks on them or a very long sleeved shirt and that soon stopped.
I think they are just wanting the comfort of mama!

JenniferJ 05-07-2008 12:49 PM

My Ds started doing the same thing around 9 to 10 wks. He is now 7 months and when we get home fromt he sitters he wants to sit on my boob for hours if I let him. I can ussually distract him with toys at this point. But he will want to nurse then suck even if he was fed only a 1/2 hour before by the sitter. I think it's a bonding with mom thing. What babe wouldn't want to snuggle up with mom and rest happily in their arms for hours on end. When i need to rest and he's fussy for my nurse/sucking, I lay in bed with him next to me. I live with it. I know at some point he will not want to be so close to me all the time, so I am chershing it even if I need to put housework on hold.

naivete 05-07-2008 12:54 PM

He could be heading towards a growth spurt, often babies nearing a growth spurt will start suckling more often to prepare the supply so your body will start making what they're going to be needing. Or he could just be comforted by it. My son is a comfort sucker too, but has not and will not take a pacifier. When he was around 4-5 months he could nurse all afternoon and not drink, but just want the comfort. Now that he's 8 months old, he nurses to drink during the day, and still comfort nurses at night, but not nearly as much as he did when he was younger.

Mirasmom 05-07-2008 01:51 PM

found out today it's supply :( see other post