Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   So is it REALLY bad that...[edit at top] (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41662)

presleycaedmon 09-14-2006 09:12 PM

So is it REALLY bad that...[edit at top]

...DD has never been to a Dr.? She's 5 months old and was born at home so my midwife took care of all the newborn stuff. Then it took forEVER to get her SSN card so CHIP wouldn't even give me an application for her. So we finally got her SSN and filled out her CHIP app. but it's taking forEVER for CHIP to get her stuff processed.

She's exclusively breastfed and pee's and poop's like a champ so I know she's getting enough food. She rolled over at 3 months, started crawling/scooting at 4 months, has two teeth, and "talks" non-stop so I know she's hitting developmental milestones. We don't vax so that's not an issue. So...I've just never really felt any need to get her into a Dr. However, people are really starting to look at me funny when they ask me how big she is and I don't have a clue! LOL

Anyone else have Dr.-less children?!?!

::EDIT:: I guess I should mention that she was 10lbs 4oz and 22.5inches long at birth so people are CONSTANTLY asking how big she is now...like she's some kind of a side show freak! LOL

mommy2zander 09-14-2006 09:20 PM

Re: So is it REALLY bad that...

I'd just set her on the food scale at the store! :D That or weigh yourself & then weigh yourself holding her! Then you'll know her weight!! lol!! We also don't vax & had our son at home... We did do some of those first apts, but only cause our insurance gave a pretty awesome insentive for them... Routine doc apts for healthy kids are kinds silly in my opinional also!! :D

presleycaedmon 09-14-2006 09:25 PM

Man I'm glad my first response wasn't someone flaming me for being a neglectful parent!! LOL

Quote:

weigh yourself & then weigh yourself holding her!
I've totally done that!! LOL

Prettylocks 09-14-2006 09:25 PM

DS #2 went to the doctor. Once. At 6 or 7 months. He is 13 months now :)

tessa1002 09-14-2006 09:29 PM

I think you can buy baby scales at like babies r us or something? They're just like the ones at the Dr. (cept for not as good of quality i'm sure) and cost maybe $60. That way you never have to tell anyone you don't go to the doctor. :giggle:

mama23boys 09-14-2006 09:36 PM

if she's healthy and you dont vax then why go? its a waste of time and if you pay a co-pay, also $$. LOL theres really no point :thumbsup:

presleycaedmon 09-14-2006 09:40 PM

I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear/read all this! :ohyeah:

I'm not neglectful after all!! LOL

scwendy 09-15-2006 05:17 AM

I vax so we have to do the well-baby thing, but if you are a non-vaxing family and she has been healthy, I say why take her to the doctor?

:hugs:

geckoed 09-15-2006 06:59 AM

the Drs office is a cess pool of nasty germs. Its meant for sick people. I never really got the whole taking my healthy kid to the Dr thing. My ped likes to see healthy non-vaxing babies at 4 and 9 months for growth/development, and mostly to "get a feel for the child" so he can tell when the kid is really sick. He likes to see them again at 15-18 month, 3 yrs, 5-6yrs, 7-9yrs, 11-13yrs.
But *I* don't think you're doing anything wrong. get a weight on your home scale and measure if you want. You can ck the cdc site for a growth chart and even tell people the % for your kiddo if you want to

1bigfamily 09-15-2006 08:47 AM

Personally, I do go to the dr with my kids. I don't however, think you are being negelctful for not doing so. We are different people and you know your baby, so if you don't vax and you know what to look for in case of delays, why do you need to take her. I don't always think I need to take mine and sometimes I don't do it.

With that said, some people will think you are neglecting your baby so I recommend what the op said about weighing the baby so you don't have to tell anyone. Some people will call child protective services for things like that. I am not saying you should live in fear, just be selective in who you tell those things to. It is better to protect your family. When you know people then you can decide to tell them because you will have an idea how they will react to it. HTH :hugs: From what you said, you are a great mama!!!