Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I need some advice please.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41665)

sweetmakiah 09-14-2006 09:16 PM

I need some advice please....

My baby is almost six months now and i have been doing the shots from the start ,but everytime i take her i fell like its so wrong..i have talked to another mom who doesnt vax her kids and i agree with it and all the reasons behind it...but then there is my family who tells me im wrong for not doing the shots and what if she gets sick and the whole school thing.which is a long way off but still..im tied in between both and not sure what to do here..if there is any advice please let me know what to do! Thanks

presleycaedmon 09-14-2006 09:21 PM

Re: I need some advice please....

If you're unsure at all, DON'T DO IT!!! You can always go back and give them to her later, you can never go back and take them away.

My son was vax'd for 4 years and it's one of the biggest regrets of my life. Do your research and make the decision that you know is best for your family.

P.S. School isn't an issue, there are exemption forms for that. :thumbsup:

lindsayncadence 09-14-2006 11:58 PM

curious about this too what about wic and medicaid....i have those and i would like to stop with vaxes even though she dont have anymore for a while.....what do u tell them?? since they ask for shot records

geckoed 09-15-2006 07:07 AM

When in doubt wait it out.

There are school exemptions
WIC won'y cut you off. They KNOW my kids are unvaxed (3 youngest).
Medicaid - eh I tell them we are "up to date on required immunizations" and that I "left all my forms at home" and that "I get all my shots at the pediatricians office"

These are NOT actual lies.
Required shots: no such thing, they are a RECCOMENDATION by the cdc/aap so my kids have every "legally required unexemptable vaccination" :giggle: I also say "they are up-to-date" b/c according to ME they are right on schedule ;) (worth noting: if my child is SICK I tell anyone who might need to know that the kid's not vaxed as it may alter treatment). I do HAVE a shot record since my first was initially immunized, so thats "all my records" and I DO get "all my shots at the pediatricians" as in all ZERO vaccinations and shots of antibiotics when one child was desperately ill.

geckoed 09-15-2006 07:11 AM

I forgot- on family:

my mom freaked a bit too.
I told her that my childs life MATTERS to me, more than it could possibly matter to her, That I have done careful research and am doing what I believe to be best for my child.
I told her that the risk of the vax is greater than the risk of the disease especially in the first 2 years of life. That the vax risks decrease further at age 5. That I would vax as soon as I felt that the benefits outweighed the risks. That health is VERY important to me.
This calmed her immensely.
My oldest is 8 now and hasn't had a shot in 7 years and isn't likely to get any until he's grown and makes his own choices. But my mom hasn't asked in years.

2beautifulgirls 09-15-2006 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsayncadence
curious about this too what about wic and medicaid....i have those and i would like to stop with vaxes even though she dont have anymore for a while.....what do u tell them?? since they ask for shot records

I had WIC and neither of my dd's have ever been vax'd. They would always ask and I would say no. this one lady at their office was really nice about it. some of them would just tell me that she needs to get caught up blah blah blah, and i would just nod and smile. but i never had any problems with them for not being vax'd.

JustAugust 09-16-2006 12:13 AM

Has your DC had ay reactions that might make you wary on not giving any more shots? If so, then I would pick which vaxes to get very carefully. If there hasn't been any bad reaction, honestly, I'd just keep giving them.

DS DID have a reaction. Nothing horrible, but enough that I am delaying vaxes now. We're getting his second DTaP though in about 2 weeks.

sewingmama2005 09-16-2006 06:42 AM

My first dd reacted to her first DTaP and neither girl has been vax'd since. I don't know about WIC or Medicaid,(don't have those) but our Ped. is awesome and my family is as well. I just sent my family members info on the risks of vax'ing and they read and agreed with my decision.

beenwaitingalongtime 09-18-2006 04:41 PM

I'm in the same boat (althought I HAVEN'T vaxxed thus far) and am just reading all I can so I can make an educated decision--try 'A Thoughtful Parent's Guide to Vaccinations'. I do wish, though that someone who thought just like me would just tell me what to do :giggle: These are the hardest decisions I've had to make yet!
As for family...I just don't talk about it w/ them. I think my Mom purposely avoids the topic because she's trying SO hard to bite her tongue and it's just easier if she has nothing to disagree with. She also realizes I'm a LOT more educated than she was back then, so what can she say?
MIL, on the other hand, asks at least 1x/week if we've started shots yet and when we say no, she does this 'sssss' thing (like the sound you'd make if you got a paper cut.) It annoys the hell out of me. She does it w/ DH too (and of course asks the same questions I've already answered, hoping to appeal to him.) She always says 'At least get the whooping cough one. My friend says THAT'S the really important one.' Her friend's a lactation consultant. She's the same LC that told MIL that the breast was a filter and that alcohol would not get to the baby, if I drank and BFd. I have to try hard not to bring that one up... I recently told her (as PP said ) that I'm constantly reading and researching to determine what's best for DD and that I wouldn't do anything to hurt her. I told her that she's going to have to accept that I'm trying to keep her safe, even if it's not the norm. (When what I really want to say is 'I've read WAY more than your LC friend on the subject and before YOU speak up maybe you should have some actual facts instead of just repeating what someone else told you.') To avoid that, I just report DD's height and weight and that he said she's just fine in terms of development.
Avoiding confrontation starts w/ avoidance, IMO!
(As for the WIC question, I couldn't tell you one thing or another, but the book I just read said that WIC benefits HAVE been held from parents not following the vax sked. I'd just ask before you make a decision--more in a 'I'm going to be delaying the rest of DD's vaxes ('delay' making people less confrontational than 'waiving'), what do I need to bring, if anything to continue receiving benefits?' kind of way.)