Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   What To look for in a baby carrier (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417849)

milkcolors 05-07-2008 08:04 PM

What To look for in a baby carrier

What To look for in a baby carrier

Mei Tais

Strap fabrics need to bemade of a strong bottom weight fabric( twill, denim,canvas)
Mei Tais Panels, should have 3 layers, an inner layer of canvas(sandwiched between the 2 visible fabrics), with an additional layer of the bottom weight (twill,denim,canvas) fabric, 1 addtional layer is good 2 is best.
Where straps join the body, there should be x-boxs/reinforcment stitching. If you don't see this type of stitching on the front look at the under side. Some manufacturers make these stitches on the bottom 2 layers.

Pouch slings

Slings should be constructed with a layer of home decorator weight fabric twill, denim, canvas. There are carriers of this type that have fancy fabrics, brocade silk etc. Just check that they are double layered pouch slings.
Seams on pouch slings should be french/felled combination seam, There should be more than 1 line of stitching on the outside of the carrier. Ask the maker if there are 3 lines of stitching. 3 is good, 4 is best. Also be sure a premium quality, or heavy duty thread is being used. You do NOT want a cheap thread all weight bears on this stitching alone.

Ring Slings

Ask the maker which rings are used? are they weight tested? Any decent ring has been weight tested.
SHoulder stitching, Your shoulder should have at least 5 lines of strait stitching if your not sure of thread type used.
If you know the manufacturer has used a premium quality thread 3 lines is sufficient.
Fabrics should be a woven med weight material.
Quiter cotton should not be used for slings.
Brocades and silks should be used with an additional layer.
Dupioni and Shantung (silk) is sometimes used in a single layer with light weight babies (under 20#)

ecomother 05-07-2008 08:06 PM

Re: What To look for in a baby carrier

Great advice, thanks!!:thumbsup:

jecmama 05-08-2008 05:05 AM

Good advice.

Just wanted to add that some MT manufacturers have a hidden X-box. If you don't see it, you can ask.

Also, I've never heard of needing five lines of stitching for a RS. I believe three is sufficient. IIRC Jan of SBP does three, not sure about others.

I'm sure this thread will help newbies. Thanks for taking the time to post! :thumbsup:

HeavenlyHold 05-08-2008 06:03 AM

Thank you for sharing this info...it will for sure help everyone!

jacquelineoliver 05-08-2008 07:28 AM

neat i had no idea !! Sadly ive been making myself a really bad pouch sling :(

milkcolors 05-08-2008 08:07 AM

Yes 3 lines can be suffecient if you KNOW the thread is premium quality. I edited my post.

Meisubaby 05-08-2008 09:24 AM

One other thing too, I noticed on one of the makers of Mei Tai's on Etsy her carriers are NOT made to keep babies legs splayed and they end up dangling like a Snugli which it appears as where she made her pattern from :( While her patterns ARE CUTE the carriers themselves aren't good for the hips and spines. I was actually thinking of messaging her as she may be unaware of this.

milkcolors 05-09-2008 11:25 AM

Good leg, back and neck support is the first thing to look for. Also positioning of the NB is crucial.

cuppiecakecarriers 05-09-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meisubaby (Post 3527131)
One other thing too, I noticed on one of the makers of Mei Tai's on Etsy her carriers are NOT made to keep babies legs splayed and they end up dangling like a Snugli which it appears as where she made her pattern from :( While her patterns ARE CUTE the carriers themselves aren't good for the hips and spines. I was actually thinking of messaging her as she may be unaware of this.

I would say if you are going to write her you should make sure you do it in a kind manner because she probably doesnt realize what she is doing wrong and she may think you are attacking her product if you arent careful. She will probably be grateful for the tips if you can make it come across just right. JMO

myfrugalfunlife 07-21-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meisubaby (Post 3527131)

I just bought one of her carriers :banghead: They are so darn cute but I don't want to hurt my little guy-she's gotten some nice reviews on babywearer though :headscratch: I'll definately have to look into the safety of using it some more before I try it-sara