Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Loveys etc. questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417882)

kissinfish 05-07-2008 08:33 PM

Loveys etc. questions

When did you get your DC a lovey? What did you give them? How did you intro it? Do they still use it?
:o) THANKS! Sorry for all the ?s - my DD seems to love holding things, and I'm trying to wean her from the swaddle and I think this may work ... :o)

EmmalinesMom 05-07-2008 08:38 PM

Re: Loveys etc. questions

My older daughter didn't have a consistant lovey. She'd have a favorite toy or animal or whatever for a few months, and then it would change. My younger daughter does have a lovey (she's 3) and I didn't give it to her...she just "adopted" it one day. It's a small dalmation print blanket, about 12x12 inches.

tiffanyamanda 05-07-2008 09:08 PM

My DS has 2 now but only had 1 to begin with. He has a bob the builder fleece blanket and he's been attached to it for a long time. I'm not sure how long. I know since I was pregnant with DD so more than a year. He's 2.5 now. His other one came along a month or two ago when I gave him an extra blanket one night because he was cold and he latched on to it and never let go. I think he will have his for a long time to come.

mrsv1023 05-07-2008 09:17 PM

Ds has a frog head blankie, bambi head blankie, a binky blankie, and a blue blankie a friend made. He will carry one or all of them sometimes. I kept giving him one at night and he finally latched on to them. I am glad that he has a few so if we lose one it won't be the end of the world. He looks so cute at night when he's ready for bed with all four blankies and at least 3 binkies stuffed in his arms.

DaniMomma2007 05-07-2008 10:29 PM

DS has this thing, its a weird Jaguar blankie thing... he got it at the hospital and at 4 mos old he just decided he wanted it everywhere we went. He is now 13 mos, and it still comes along, but he also has adopted a stuffed frog from the zoo that he LOVES. He has also adopted this lil pillow that was mine when I was little. The thing hardly has any stuffing left, but he wont go to sleep without it.

Angel3167 05-07-2008 11:10 PM

My DD has a few things that are her faves but I don't think she's super attatched yet. She has two ugly dolls. One is a small one named Big Toe that I picked out for her and handed to her and she just clutched him when she was a few months old. The other is a bigger one named Ice Bat that I wanted her to want but let her make the decision between that and a bunny blanket thing.....she tossed the bunny :giggle2: What can I say she's her mothers child :giggle: She has started carrying around her blankets now and her water cup.
One thing she really likes is a penguin that was one out of a claw machine. She saw it in the cat toys and has never put it back.
At night she has to have both ugly dolls, blanket, binky, and cup. :D

Leximom 05-07-2008 11:17 PM

my younger dd had a bitty baby blankie that I got when she was 2 months old and by 5 months she was totally attached to the ribbon style blankies. My older dd got really attached to a satin edge blankie at 15 months though! So, I don't think it's ever too late this young :)

CamoMom 05-08-2008 06:06 AM

My older two never had lovey blankets, nor did they even have an interest. The last three have been a different story. When my now-3yo was still in utero, I was in search of the "perfect" blanket for her to be wrapped in. We lived in South GA and I was due in March, so it had to be lightweight enough to breathe but yet keep her warm as a newborn. I put together a rough yard of a really cute calico fabric backed with a rough yard of a coordinating flannel and bound it with satin blanket binding. I wanted it to be pretty AND functional. I had NO idea my then-1yo would steal it off of her sister the day we brought her home from the hospital! I literally had to go to the fabric store and pick out another two yards of fabric and whip up a new blanket for the newborn, because the 1yo wouldn't give the blanket up for anything!

Each of my gals has had a lovey blanket made in the same way--flannel on one side, plain old cotton on the other, bound with satin. The older two (now 3 and 4) still sleep with their loveys, and the 18mo carries hers everywhere. In fact, it's in dire need of repair, because she has dragged it through mud, snow, leaves, down stairs, over gravel, etc.....and it's shredding!

I think little ones with loveys are adorable, and if the blanket is dual-function for mom AND baby--meaning it's good for swaddling as well as just being loved on, then it's all gravy!

Mom2CoopnBelle 05-08-2008 07:11 AM

My son always loved the silky blankets. You know the kind with the silky edging? He takes the edge and bring it to his eye, then he blinks his eyes so that his eyelashes rub! Look for little things that make you feel that your dd is attached to one thing more than another.

My dd LOVES crocheted blankets and stuffed animals. She's not picky, but just needs to have something, although her Horton Hears a Who is her favorite!

My kids were both about 8 or 9 mos when I noticed them having favoritism towards one item over another (besides mom and dad of course)!

ajk 05-08-2008 07:28 AM

DD has had a lovey since about 3 months old when we stopped swaddling her. Its very thin cotton gauze fabric...well actually its a 31 year old flat (it was never used on my bum though) :giggle2:. DD used to snuggle her face into the corner of her swaddling blanket so I wanted to give her something she could snuggle her face into once we switched to a grow bag that was thin enough that she wouldn't suffocate herself. She's 10 months old now and still uses it although its full of holes and falling apart now. I'm slowly trying to change over to a binky blanket but she definitely prefers the diaper lol.