Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   HELP: Best Safety Cabinet Latches (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417962)

fish3737 05-07-2008 09:53 PM

HELP: Best Safety Cabinet Latches

I want to know which cabinet/drawer latches people love.

I have not found any that I am in love with. It doesn't matter if they are adhesive or the screw-in kind.

Pictures or links would be great.

:)

Angel3167 05-08-2008 12:10 AM

Re: HELP: Best Safety Cabinet Latches

I have the magnetic type of locks and I like them. They take some adjusting to make sure you place them right but they are very sturdy and you can't get in the cabinet unless you have the key magnet. Great for kids who figure out the traditional locks. Mine are the Tot Locks brand go here and see some. GL

FinnegansMom 05-08-2008 07:40 AM

We got screw in ones for kitchen cabinets at home depot. We have some adhesive ones which were a joke, my son removed them in about 10 seconds.

We also have the knob ones for chests and bathroom cabinets, same brand, from home depot (or Lowes?). They have a pretty good selection.

fish3737 05-08-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel3167 (Post 3525248)
I have the magnetic type of locks and I like them. They take some adjusting to make sure you place them right but they are very sturdy and you can't get in the cabinet unless you have the key magnet. Great for kids who figure out the traditional locks. Mine are the Tot Locks brand go here and see some. GL

I have seen these and do you think they would be okay for the kitchen - would it be not worth it to get into the cabinets that you use really frequently. I see myself losing the key? Does it easily open with the key?

3Xblessed 05-08-2008 08:52 AM

I have the tot locks in the bathrooms - where I keep the medicine and cleaning stuff I really don't want the kids getting to. We have 2 magnets to unlock the cabinets. We actually kept them in the package you can buy them in so they are harder to lose. When not in use we stick them on the corner of the wall (seems there is metal corner beading under the drywall and the paint that they stick to - in the kitchen I would stick them to the fridge).

I love them because without the "key" the doors do not budge an inche so no pinched fingers!!

Angel3167 05-08-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish3737 (Post 3526710)
I have seen these and do you think they would be okay for the kitchen - would it be not worth it to get into the cabinets that you use really frequently. I see myself losing the key? Does it easily open with the key?

We use ours in the kitchen. If you have cabinets that have a ledge, like ours does, it's a little tricky to place. But if you have a flat faced cabinet it would be cake. On the cupboards we have it positioned right it works very easy. The other ones are a little trickier. The Garbage cabinet I have it positioned perfectly where I can leave the magnet key on the door it holds there(I don't do that 'cause I don't want DD in the trash :giggle:) My DH still Hulks out on the cabinets from time to time :laugh: I have gotten used to them. We have two keys I usually have them stuck to the oven vent since the fridge has a lot on it. I do plan on getting them for the bathroom soon since DD is going to need in there one of these days!

fish3737 05-08-2008 10:11 AM

Thanks - good information!!!! I really wanted the practical breakdown. That helps a lot!!!!

Thanks

benjaminsmom 05-08-2008 12:14 PM

Good to know about the tot locks, I always wondered if they worth the $$. I might have to go invest in some. I saw that you can buy an extra key if you loose the original too.

Happygrl6 05-08-2008 02:33 PM

I love the magnetic tot locks! We only had them on one cabinet and one drawer (the rest were childproofed). They work great, no plastic pieces to get broken and nothing to see on the outside. We had one designated place for the key and made sure to always put it back there. We then put a spare key in our lock box (because we never get into it, so we knew it wouldn't get lost from there! LOL) just in case.

jackyl08 05-08-2008 05:25 PM

FYI, if you lose the keys for the Totlocks, you can buy just the key at BRU. We had parents come in all the time and sheepishly ask for just the key. LOL!