Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone know anything about RSV? Should I call the doctor this late at night? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418027)

myall4him2 05-08-2008 01:02 AM

Anyone know anything about RSV? Should I call the doctor this late at night?

My ds has been having a cough and running nose for a while, and the stupid thing just hasn't gone away. He hasn't got any better. Well yesterday he's started developing a low grade fever and seems like he needs to work a little bit to breath (it's not aweful, but not normal either). Do you think he has RSV. It's 3:00am, should I call the doctor or leave it until mornining?

onejadedlyric 05-08-2008 01:08 AM

Re: Anyone know anything about RSV? Should I call the doctor this late at night?

Does your pedi have a nurse advice line? If so, I would call them & they will ask you a series of questions to determine if you need to take your lo in. My niece had RSV & it was pretty serious. The symptoms look like a lot of things at first but it is the breathing that is always concerning. IMO always better to be on the cautious side. I hope your lo feels better soon...

myall4him2 05-08-2008 01:10 AM

Re: Anyone know anything about RSV? Should I call the doctor this late at night?

Quote:

Originally Posted by onejadedlyric (Post 3525342)
Does your pedi have a nurse advice line? If so, I would call them & they will ask you a series of questions to determine if you need to take your lo in. My niece had RSV & it was pretty serious. The symptoms look like a lot of things at first but it is the breathing that is always concerning. IMO always better to be safe. I hope your lo feels better soon...

yeah, they do have a nurse line...I just hate to wake them up

onejadedlyric 05-08-2008 01:22 AM

Oh, OK. The nurse line that I call here is at a children's hospital and they just have an RN on duty call me back. Then they assess the situation & advise whether or not you should speak with a Dr.

Forgot to ask if your son is in daycare or around a lot of children. RSV is so contagious among kids & that's usually how they get it.

joshuas_mum 05-08-2008 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myall4him2 (Post 3525333)
My ds has been having a cough and running nose for a while, and the stupid thing just hasn't gone away. He hasn't got any better. Well yesterday he's started developing a low grade fever and seems like he needs to work a little bit to breath (it's not aweful, but not normal either). Do you think he has RSV. It's 3:00am, should I call the doctor or leave it until mornining?

sounds like brochilitus. my ds has had it 8 times in his 2 years. hes prone to it with his damaged lungs and asthma. RSV is tested for by suctioning the goop out of the nose and running tests on that. its not a very nice thing to have done.
is he in a cot? if so put a pillow under his mattress to raise the top up a little, it will help him breath better. if hes not in a cot then you need to find someway to prop him up a little. is he wheezing?? look at his stomach, is he sucking in a lot?? and the hollow of his neck right at the front, do you see a dip? if you see these then call the doctor, if not then i'd wait till morning and take him to your gp.

Weezy6703 05-08-2008 07:00 AM

it also could be bronchitis...i agree with pp..but mainly b/c we've been through it so much. Landon is goign through it again, though the meds we got last friday are clearing it up. He also had a sinus infection so I don't want to tell you the wrong thing or be misleading in anyway. I hope jonah feels better. ((HUGS))

here's a symptom checker, just click for children. Again...not a substitute for seeing a doctor, however it may give you an idea of questions to ask.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sym...hecker/DS00671

forgot to add if he's having a hard time breathing or wheezing a breathing treatment may help him...but again ask your doctor.

stephaniebrookeh5 05-08-2008 07:04 AM

RSV- Been there, done that. Their little chest will incave when they breathe. And, you will hear a wheezing sound in their lungs. If you have a children's hospital, call and see if they will do an Oxygenation test on him. They just put a little knob over his finger, and it tests the oxygen in his blood. If he indeed has RSV, it will be lower than 99%.

I would rather be "wrong" than right :)

mommyfrog 05-08-2008 11:00 AM

Yes, insist on the oxygen test. I didn't know about it when my dd got RSV at 3 weeks old. I took her in to the walk-in clinic and the doctor listened to her chest and looked her over then said she had a cold(never took the five seconds to check her oxygen level). Checked my then 6 year old ds and said he had a cold too and gave him a prescription for a cough suppresant.:headscratch: I filled it, but never used it. His regular doctor was shocked that he would prescribe that for a 6 year old who ended up having bronchialitus caused by RSV. Well, I went back home and decided that the doctor wasn't right, there was something seriously wrong with the baby. I took her to the ER. They didn't make me wait very long before they hooked her up to the oxygen tester and her oxygen was somewhere around 60-70%. They moved fast after that. Breathing treatments and suction....two and half days in the hospital...what a nightmare. But I was so glad I second guessed that doctor. Trust your mommy instincts. If you think something is wrong, get it checked out.

Weezy6703 05-08-2008 01:46 PM

Heather have you heard anything, or how is he doing? just wondering...((HUGS))

myall4him2 05-08-2008 05:10 PM

Hey Ladies!
Ok! After a long day at the doctors and hospital, here's what happened.

We went to the doctor and I explained how I thought it sounded like RSV and I told her how the nurse thought it was croup. Well, after listening to him break, seeing his temp, etc. She determined that I was right. It sounded a lot like RSV. She didn't name it that because she said there's so many things similiar to that with the same symptoms, but she said that's probably what it was. She sent us over to the hospital to get a chest xray to make sure there is nothing worse going on. So we'll hear back from her tomorrow.

Thanks for all your replies and concern!!