Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Big time Paper Eater, a problem? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418057)

marisal 05-08-2008 07:12 AM

Big time Paper Eater, a problem?

My son loves to eat paper. He moves around the bed after his nap to find and destroy my magazines. He does this quite frequently and sometimes it looks like he's eaten a whole page, with bits scattered about. Yesterday he had a serious constipation episode with very little coming out. In the middle of the night he seemed to relive that episode. Today he is super lethargic, but happy, but not himself in any other respect. Not lively at all, just lazy. I'm worried that he has, in fact, consumed lots of paper and that it's not going anywhere.
Could the paper make him sick? Will it come out eventually? Should we ask a doctor?
Help!
Marisa

haydn'smommy 05-08-2008 07:15 AM

Re: Big time Paper Eater, a problem?

I was a paper eater until age 5 or 6. I survived. Just make sure he's getting a good diet and plenty of fluids.

marisal 05-08-2008 07:20 AM

i realized today that he hasn't had much water... i'm worried that there is a big ball of paper in his belly that can't come out!

haydn'smommy 05-08-2008 07:27 AM

it'll digest. push fluids.

heathersmoker 05-08-2008 07:38 AM

All my kids LOVED to eat paper! Never hurt em. Comes out! LOL! Give plenty of water.

marisal 05-08-2008 02:47 PM

After much bathing and massaging and glycerin suppositories it came out. Poor thing was silent when he was pushing it out and then cried and fell asleep. It took the energy right out of him :(
He's doing better now, onto his second nap for the day and was much smiley-er. now he has a slightly elevated temp that i need to watch.

leighi123 05-08-2008 10:14 PM

I've given my ds those seaweed paper sheets - the kind for making sushi - he loves to crumple/rip/eat that. Ive also given him rice paper which he likes as well.
I'd rather not allow him to eat too many magazines/books/newspapers though because of the ink.
I think paper and fabric fuzz are the only solids my ds eats so far (and maybe the ocasional rock/peice of grass/dirt clod when we go to the park...
So far he has been fine! But at christmas he did poop out a chunk of an xmas card with the words still on it!

fish3737 05-08-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leighi123 (Post 3533892)
I've given my ds those seaweed paper sheets - the kind for making sushi - he loves to crumple/rip/eat that. Ive also given him rice paper which he likes as well.
I'd rather not allow him to eat too many magazines/books/newspapers though because of the ink.
I think paper and fabric fuzz are the only solids my ds eats so far (and maybe the ocasional rock/peice of grass/dirt clod when we go to the park...
So far he has been fine! But at christmas he did poop out a chunk of an xmas card with the words still on it!

:roflmbo:

My nephew loves anything cellulose. Magazines, newspapers, board books, cardboard, wood. We have to keep all the coffee tables cleared off of paper articles because the kid eats it all. He is a year old now and he still loves paper. :)