Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   cd's causing diaper rash? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418363)

mybabybunny 05-08-2008 11:17 AM

cd's causing diaper rash?

Ever since I started cd'n parker has had a horrid rash and I can't get rid of it.

I dont want to stop cd'n but HELP! Im :banghead: because I feel like thats why he has it!

mary.margaret 05-08-2008 11:38 AM

Re: cd's causing diaper rash?

What kind of detergent are you using, and what is your wash routine? Detergent buildup or enzymes can cause rashes easily. Also if you are not changing frequently enough, that can cause a problem (cloth usually needs to be changed more than disposables). Are you using cotton or polyester/fleece/pocket diapers? Cotton is the least allergenic, so if you aren't using cotton prefolds or cotton fitteds, that would be something to try.

Sorry mama!!
Mary-Margaret

Katiebear 05-08-2008 11:41 AM

I've heard that PUL wraps can contribute to rashes because they don't breathe exceptionally well. Could you try switching to a different cover (if you are using one), like fleece or wool?

My DD gets a red bum from her PUL wraps, but there's not much that I can do about that now, I just don't have the money. Hopefully one day I'll be able to afford something better for her skin!

p1p3r 05-08-2008 11:42 AM

Could be detergent buildup/irritation. Try washing in hot water with Dawn and rinse very, very well (always).

Be sure to change often. Change when wet, not by time spent in the diaper. ;)

Depending on what you're using, you might also consider a microfleece liner to help keep wetness away from the skin.

isis0821 05-08-2008 11:53 AM

Also, if it's yeast, you might have to wash all of your diapers with a little bit of bleach. Not exactly sure how much, since I've never had to do it, but my nephew had a yeast infection and my SIL said that that's what she had to do with her dipes.

House of Blue 05-08-2008 01:24 PM

Examine the detergent you are using first. Look at these sites, they should help.
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm
http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Next, examine your washing routine. Do you get enough soap out of the diapers, maybe you need an extra rinse. Maybe some vinegar in the rinse could help eliminate excess soap build up or help kill germs that irritate your LO' skin.

change frequently, and if you don't already use a material against the skin that wicks away moisture, now may be the time to investigate that option.

Lastly. Remember things like teething, diet or illness can cause rashes. Also if it is yeast, it's a bugger to get rid of. Maybe some Nystatin (sp?) cream in addition to ridding your diapers of yeast will help.

MommaBunny 05-08-2008 03:19 PM

Do you pre-wash or soak the CD's in the machine? Doing a double-rinse cycle (or your machine's equivalent) could help to get rid of built-up detergent and ammonia.

uoducks 05-09-2008 12:36 AM

Even when i cloth diapered, once my daught. would sleep through the night, I put her in huggies overnight to keep her as dry as possible and prevent any rashes. She rarely had rashes.
Cloth is cloth, it's absorbent but still wet to the skin a lot of the time.

I highly suggest switching to disposables if baby has a rash and try Northern Essence's All Natural Diaper rash salve. I use this on my daught. (and my own skin), and it's great. Made of olive oil, emu oil, beeswax, lavendar..lots of good stuff. northernessence.com
Also, air dry your baby's bum as much as possible.
Other suggestions are to make sure you are using gentle baby soaps, and less toxic/laundry detg.

I've still never used a wash cloth on my daught. body during her bath...just my hand, water, and soap since her skin is delicate and soft!

good luck

mybabybunny 05-09-2008 06:03 AM

I stripped the diapers last night and didnt use a detergent in them (washed 6 times on SUPER hot water and they went thru the rinse cycle too)

Can you use diaper cream with a cd? And where is a good place to get a fleese insert? I use mostly pocket diapers.

lil'mommakaye 05-09-2008 06:48 AM

We use a natural cornstarch bb powder and that takes care of DS's rashes if he is to get one. He usually breaks out from pul i can NOT use pul @ night or he will get a rash. some of my pockets do the same thing to DS's bottom @ night so i have to be carefull what he is in @ night(usually wool and fleece)
Do you have doublers? those are helpfull if you need cream on the bum so they dont mess your dipes. check the FSOT im sure someone has some up for sale or put up an ISO:thumbsup: Also using dawn for stripping works great! just a dab in the wash cycle and i do 2 rinse cycles and vwallah! i strip EVERY WASH too just in case!:blush: do watch out for yeast infs; too my sisyers twins just got over that!:yuck: it was bad too blisters and all!:(
Good luck!!