Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   why is 6yr old so annoyed by my babies crying (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41910)

momto4monkeys 09-15-2006 02:13 PM

why is 6yr old so annoyed by my babies crying

Ok here is a little of what I am dealing with I am getting very fusturated to the piont i just don't know what to do anymore think of seeking professional help. I have 6yr son who can't stand anyone to cry or make niose for that matter I have a 4yr old girl 22 month old girl 6month old boy and the 6yr old is a boy so you can imagine it gets crazy here sometimes and we live in a 1600squ. foot 3 bedroom house not very big.THis morning i just lost it and i feel bad but the 6 yr old was just laying into my 22month old for no good reason just because she was babbleing and the breakfast table toddler talk you know it was cute but it annoyed him like crazy this is evertime she talks or cries or walks by his room i am convinced that he hates her I know that is extreme but that is how it feels now. ANd he was very excited about the baby being a boy but the excitment is wearing off he is starting to yell at the 6month old everytime he crys and it is violent yelling is there something wrong with my oldest child we thought sensory intergration disorder when he as 4 1/2 but when he went to kindergarten the teacher said no nothing is wrong with him well he did good in kindergarten but this year he is already fighting with other boys on the playground he is very bright at the head of the class when it comes to academics but the social stuff i am worried about. Ok Sorry this is so long I just am at my wits end don't know where to turn the Dr thinks I am crazy he says all kids are like this I don't think so or is he right.
Please give me words of advice desperate.:crying:

jenn5388 09-15-2006 05:33 PM

Re: why is 6yr old so annoyed by my babies crying

has it always been like this or is it something recently? Honestly, he sounds stressed out. But i'm not sure what a 6 year old can be stressed about. Anything going on there? maybe school? I know that when I'm stressed out some of the things miranda does just sends me off the cliff. lol

maybe a little jealousy? how has it been since the new baby came into the picture? is he getting mom and dad's attention like he used to? I can imagine how hard it would be to pay attention at all times to 4 children..

That's about all I got. :)

ChurchPunkMom 09-15-2006 06:09 PM

It doesn't sound normal to me... I have a 6yo, 4yo, 2yo and 8mo. 3 boys and a girl and have never had that kind of problem! I'm the only one bothered by the noise around here...
I don't know why you'd take your kindy teachers word for him not having SID - how many kids with it has she seen? Besides, kids will act totally different in school than they do at home.. especially in kindergarten! I would definitely talk to a doctor about it - and if your Dr is not taking you seriously, see someone esle. It may not be SID, it may be something simpler.. and it may be something that could be alleviated with something as simple as dietary changes.

:hugs: Hang in there, mama!

bellasophy04 09-15-2006 06:39 PM

I do not know if it normal or not but I would not just relay on the teacher's opinion to make a diagnose like that (not meaning to offend teacher;s here) just like the pp said. If you have insurance it would not hurt to have him evaluated.

So sorry:hugs: I can not imagine how stressful it must be for all of you.

momto4monkeys 09-15-2006 08:35 PM

I wanted the school district to evaluate they have prgrams out here but they just never did i guess they have to see it in school as well I had a baby in my daycare at one poimt whos mom was a occupational therapist and she is the one who thought he might have sid then she gave me the book and he has a lot of the signs i just don't know how to get help were do i turn >.any suggestions

A'smommy 09-15-2006 09:04 PM

If the pedi won't listen or you don't feel like he's listening maybe you should consider switching pedis. I would suggest ECI (Early Childhood Intervention)--but if he's already in kindergarten he's too old for ECI (I think). I also think you need a Dr. referral for that program.

If they won't do the testing at school maybe you could get him in just to talk with the school counselor. Maybe it's not a serious problem (like SID) causing it, just adjustment issues (like jealousy, new school stress, etc.). The school counselor should be able to give you some opinion about what's going on.

GL!

nothing_butt_cloth 09-15-2006 09:42 PM

My dd cannot stand any loud noises or too much activity;. She is very spirited and has sensitivity issues. Her ears litterally hurt with noises like babies crying..

I havent learned what to do with that yet... She is boarderline adhd and has some delays in speech and gross motor development. She is 4 yo..

I know i am no help but i understand your frustrations. I am nervous for the baby to come, becaue she can get violent at times when there is too much going on..

Sarah 09-15-2006 09:53 PM

This sounds like our oldest Ian. For him he takes Taci crying as a personal assult. He's a control freak and hates that he can't make her happy,so he lashes out,verbally.
Also at this age he has a very strong sense of what's his and he'll defend it,like his toys or his room.
We're working with him to understand that his sisters are younger and don't reason the same way he does. It's getting better but we still have a way to go

Babyvan 09-15-2006 10:50 PM

Hi there. I have 4 children, 2 of them have neurological differences. It could just be that he's really stressed and needs some counseling. Or it could be that he does, in fact, have sensory defensiveness, and he is reacting to that. Would he agree to wearing ear plugs or headphones? That might make him more comfortable. I do think you should have him evaluated. What your dr told you is really common, but I would not go by that. Many many times drs underestimate the impact the problem is having. Most of the things kids with neuro processing differences do are like what typical kids to, only more extreme/intense. It's easy for a dr to underestimate the problem. If your mommy radar is going off, listen to it. It can't hurt to have an evaluation. If he's truely not affected by some neruo dysfunction, great! But if he is, you need to know. Unfortunately, you have missed out on the EI programs, he's too old. He would be serviced by the school district now.

Is he having any problem in school? if so, what you need to do is write a letter to the school principal. CC the special ed director. Sign it and make a copy. Take the original to the school and hand deliver it. If the secretarty takes it, fine. Let her know it's important and ask how/when it will be delivered. Note any other people in the office. Then go back to your car, where your copy of hte letter is, and write on the back who you gave it to, any other person who was in the office, the time and date and how/when the letter is to be delivered. In your letter, make sure say you are requesting an evaluation (state which kind if you know). The school is not likely to be able to perforn a sensory integration evaluation, though, you will have to find someone outside the school to do that, unless you are really luck and your school's occuapational therapist is qualifed to perform a sensory processing evaluation.

I would also suggest you look for an audiologist who can perfrom an auditory processing evaluation. That might be helpful.

You are that mama. You know your child best. An evaluation is not going to hurt him but it might provide you with critical information you need to make his life easier and less painful. Hopefully you can find the root of this problem, whatever it is. If you can't find a physiological problem, it might be an emotional disorder as well. You should research Asperger syndrome, and juvenile onset bipolar disorder as well, just in case.

Best of luck!
Amy

veganmamma 09-15-2006 11:03 PM

I think your son may be angry and acting out. The noise of crying may bother him, but that doesn't explain the fighting at school. I think you need to listen to your gut. If you think something is wrong insist on help. Don't take no for an answer. Not from the school or from any Doctor. Talk with the school social worker. That has been helpful to me as my oldest son just started Kindergarten and has had some major seperation issues and has been crying every day. No one would have thought anything of it because once he is in school he is usually fine, but I took it upon myself to involve the social worker. I have had her counseling me on how to help him as well as checking up on him too. It really took me calling her with each of my daily worries to get him on her radar.

I share this with you to say you can bring this up to the social worker daily if necessary. Talk about school behavior vs. home behavior. Talk about your needs. Talk about your DS's needs. (I hope your school actually has a social worker, as maybe some schools don't, ours has two. If you don't have a social worker is there someone in the school who you can talk to like the principal?) Ask for support and referrals.

It is better to have extra help now than to not listen to your gut and wish you had at a later date...

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: