Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Healthy Food (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41934)

beenwaitingalongtime 09-15-2006 02:58 PM

Healthy Food

Hi, everyone! Does anyone have any ideas for healthy snacks? Our school came up w/ a new wellness policy which rules out candy, cakes and other sweets. Fat-laden foods, too. Every time a parent asks if they can bring a cake for their child's birthday, I explain our new wellness policy and invite them to bring a healthy snack instead. Then, of course they come back to me saying they can't think of anything… I thought maybe we could put our heads together and think of healthy, but fun snacks for kids. Here's what I've come up w/ so far. Pls. add!

-Jello Jigglers
-Veggies & Dip
-Peanut Butter & Jelly Triangles
-Crackers & Cheese Shapes
-Apples & Dip
-Celery & Cream Cheese (or Peanut Butter)
-Fruit Roll Ups (?does this count?)
-Granola Bars
-Trail Mix
-Chex Mix

What else???

titania 09-16-2006 12:24 PM

Re: Healthy Food

kids love string cheese, though it does seem a bit processed, so i am not sure it would be part of the healthy snack plan. and can i add WAY TO GO for your school with implementing that!! if only more schools would do so. i just last week read an article about this very subject. there may have been a link to snack ideas, i'll check that out if i can find it.

oh, and are you sure peanut butter is allowed? i know many schools are forbidding it due to so many serious peanut allergies. there are other nut butters that would be good too though, that are available at regular grocery stores.

Julesmom23girls 09-16-2006 01:27 PM

What about Fruit Kababs, I have even heard of moms using stick pretzels as the skewer and putting on a couple pieces of fruit.

This is from Kraft foods, I think it has some decent ideas for semi-healthy snacks. You can always modify them too. http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/ff/bts/snackIdeas.htm

I really like the fruit and cheese bites and the snack mix w/ popcorn.

Cloth4us 09-17-2006 12:38 PM

Juice pops- just freeze some fruit juice

Blackbirdlane 09-17-2006 01:27 PM

raisins
wheat pita bread and hummus (dd loves this)
also carrots and other veggies to be dipped in hummus.
yogurt?

beenwaitingalongtime 09-18-2006 12:29 PM

Good ideas! Keep 'em coming!
As for the peanut butter q, our school is more of a 'fix it after it's happened' school. We've had no issues w/ peanuts and allergic students thus far, so I don't think they'll come up w/ any kind of a policy re: no peanuts till one comes along. Sad, but true.
One of my students' parents ended up making jello w/ artificial sweetener for today topped w/ cream cheese and crushed graham crackers. Now...why our school is suggesting replacing natural sugar w/ artificial sweetener, I do not know, but they're working toward healthy nutrition in baby steps, I guess.

marelle4381 09-18-2006 12:41 PM

when someone asks to bring in a cake for a birthday. Why not let them bring in a Healthy carrot cake. There are recipies everywhere that are actually really good. So that way they can still have a cake.

camdensmommy 09-18-2006 12:55 PM

I just find this interesting because I would consider a cake or some cookies that are homemade and reduce the sugar in half as being far healthier than jello or fruit snacks/roll ups, etc. At least homemade cookies don't have artificial colors and flavors and preservatives, etc.

I definitely agree with more fruit and veggies though! Make some cheese dip and some veggies and most kids love that.

Fat isn't a bad thing either. We need fat to have healthy brains.

Severine 09-18-2006 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camdensmommy
I just find this interesting because I would consider a cake or some cookies that are homemade and reduce the sugar in half as being far healthier than jello or fruit snacks/roll ups, etc. At least homemade cookies don't have artificial colors and flavors and preservatives, etc.

:agreed:

A variety of fruits and veggies cut up is pretty easy. I send those along with DD to daycare every day.

How about fruit leather instead of fruit roll-ups? No artificial colors/flavors in them.

If you really need something that feels like a "snack", there's always Veggie Booty, Fruity Booty, and Pirate's Booty.

camdensmommy 09-18-2006 09:14 PM

You could also do banana bread or zuccini bread "cupcakes" and make a cream cheese frosting on top. Very healthy and yummy and kid appealing.