Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   "You need to wean! It is time!" -Vent (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419535)

sadiekat 05-09-2008 12:53 PM

"You need to wean! It is time!" -Vent

I hear this absolutely every time we are around my DH's family now. :banghead: It is getting so old! They have been doing this since DD was 6 months old and it is becoming much more frequent and persistant now.

I go into another room to nurse DD so that I don't offend them. Well MIL or GMIL always end up coming in there and giving me a hard time about still nursing DD.

Today we had lunch with them. I went into another room to nurse DD. She was smiling and nursing and cooing. MIL and GMIL come in the room. They can see how happy she is to be nursing and they both started raising their voices and saying "It is time to wean! This is disguisting!" Followed by nasty scrunched up looks on their faces.

It makes me crazy! :cry: DS has severe milk protein and egg allergies. DD has already been tested and has allergies to milk protein, egg, fish, and soy. What exactly is she supposed to drink? Am I supposed to switch her to only water, juice, or am I supposed to shell out the big bucks for a hypoallergenic formula just because they think she is too old to nurse? Really what do they expect?

Gah! I just needed to vent to someone who will understand.

Thanks for listening.

ForCryingOutLoud 05-09-2008 12:55 PM

Re: "You need to wean! It is time!" -Vent

:hugs:
That is so mean that they even come in and tell you that stuff while nursing! :hugs:
Just keep doing what you're doing mama... I know it is hard to ignore them!
:hugs:

togg_mama 05-09-2008 12:56 PM

Is your DH willing to tell them to put a lid on it? My MIL and SIL tried harassing me once or twice and DH started quoting WHO recommendations until their eyes glazed over. They are very supportive now, even if they don't agree with me. :giggle:

julieberry 05-09-2008 12:58 PM

Next time they come in just squirt them with milk!
You're doing a great job and you know what's best for your dd.

amybabya 05-09-2008 01:01 PM

I was in a similar situation with my MIL. I kept telling DH to talk to her and he never did. She just kept picking and picking and picking.

Finally, I literally told her to F&%K OFF followed by a long spew of everything I thought of how she was acting. Not something in my character but I had just had enough.

She leaves me alone now.

mom2LBJ 05-09-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by togg_mama (Post 3538841)
Is your DH willing to tell them to put a lid on it? My MIL and SIL tried harassing me once or twice and DH started quoting WHO recommendations until their eyes glazed over. They are very supportive now, even if they don't agree with me. :giggle:

Thats what I do if the topic is even brought up :giggle: No one has said a word this time around with DS#2!

amybabya 05-09-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julieberry (Post 3538851)
Next time they come in just squirt them with milk!
You're doing a great job and you know what's best for your dd.

OMGoodness!!! That would be so awesome!
:roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo: :roflmbo:

mama2three 05-09-2008 01:03 PM

I can totally relate on,y it's MY mother and her husband who don't approve. It is really getting to me. I'm not weaning any time soon though; DS will be a year on the 15th :)
I wish their was a solution for this :banghead: :hugs:

Maddie&Jake'sMom 05-09-2008 01:05 PM

I can relate, but its my own family, not the ILs.

My mom told me last week that the reason Maddie is so "dependent and clingy" (yes, I know its a +/- 2 year old phase) is because she cosleeps and that the reason she has a speech delay is because I still nurse her. :banghead:

sadiekat 05-09-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom (Post 3538936)
I can relate, but its my own family, not the ILs.

My mom told me last week that the reason Maddie is so "dependent and clingy" (yes, I know its a +/- 2 year old phase) is because she cosleeps and that the reason she has a speech delay is because I still nurse her. :banghead:

Ughh! I hear that same stuff all.the.time! :hugs: Ds had a speech delay and was always really high needs. They constantly blamed it on him being breastfed and co-sleeping.