Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   A Little Help For A Pumping Mom? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419971)

4BabyUnit 05-09-2008 08:32 PM

A Little Help For A Pumping Mom?

Okay, so let me start by saying Pleeease...no benefits of breastmilk preaching or criticisms here please. Daughter has had nothing but breastmilk (and now some solids) for 8+ months, and I plan to continue for at least a year, so I'm not throwing in the towel here or anything, BUT...I'm having trouble pumping enough for dd. I work full time and pump twice while I'm at work and leave on my lunch break to go nurse her. I set my alarm for 2:00 a.m. almost every night to pump again. I have tried pumping other times (after I nurse in the morning and before she goes to bed for the night), but there is nothing to pump. I have also always continued to pump well after the milk stops flowing. I KNOW I need to drink more water, and I am going to try Fenugreek, but are there any WOHM's out there who have suggestions for me? Also, DD has slept through the night since she was about 2 mo., so I'm not about to wake her up to nurse her every 2 or 3 hours. She has good healthy sleep habits, and I don't want to confuse her if that makes sense. She has milk 5-6 times a day from 6:30 a.m. until about 8:00 p.m. Also, if I'm up late, I will pump before I go to bed and then again at 2:00 a.m. Sorry to ramble, and thank you to anyone taking the time to read this and reply with positive feedback and helpful suggestions. :bighug::goodvibes:

WhatWasIThinking 05-09-2008 09:13 PM

Re: A Little Help For A Pumping Mom?

:hugs: I can't see anyone critisizing a momma doing her best to provide for her baby!

How long do you pump at each session? What kind of pump?

pumpkins_mom 05-09-2008 09:32 PM

:yeahthat:
First off, YAY you for sticking with BFing and pumping this long!
I am a FT WOHM that has been BFing and pumping too. I have trouble getting enough because my daughter loves to eat! I have plenty of milk when I am with her, but I just don't respond well to the pump, even though I have a top-of-the-line consumer pump. I have taken fenugreek pills - they seem to make a real difference. The other thing that helped me is squeezing my breasts while pumping - so it's kind of like manual expression and electric pump in one. Also, I had to purchase larger breast shields - that has helped, too.
I'm guessing you've tried all of the classic suggestions - like looking at photos of your LO and trying to relax while pumping...
Oh, but the good news is that now DD is 9 months, and I am pumping pretty much exactly what she is eating! I'll keep my fingers crossed that a similar change happens for you. :)

lulusmom 05-09-2008 10:31 PM

Sometimes the pump you have makes a difference, and if you know you need more water that makes a HUGE difference. You will be amazed at how much milk you can get out when you are well hydrated and "topped-off" so to speak. :thumbsup:

Riverdavidsmama 05-09-2008 10:37 PM

A few things, mama. And good for you!
-Make sure you're using a hospital grade electric pump (you can rent one from a hospital); some mamas need the extra stimulation when they work and are away from baby so long
-Try an herbal tincture, Motherlove Herbals makes one called "More Milk". Take it religiously for a few days and try super pumping for a day or two (pumping every 2-3 hours) to get your supply perked up.
I worked at a breastfeeding resource store for about a year until we closed recently so I've helped lots of mamas in your situation. This usually does the trick! Good luck and good for you, mama!

CindyLynn 05-09-2008 10:54 PM

My DD is just over 12 months and I am a FT WOHM as well. I also do a lot of traveling away from DD (My DH is home on paternity leave) This means I put on the road/plane wherever. I have noticed that when AF is in town that my supply is a lot lower. With this in mind, if I need to increase my stash, I pump at the same time and for longer than normal to bring up my milk supply. After about 2-3 days I am able to a decent amount of milk. Oh, and I agree about renting a pump it makes a big difference but it's big and bulky. Because I travel, I bought a Medela Travel in Style pump that comes in a backpack. Love It!! It's two phase and double pump.

La Mere D'Anna 05-10-2008 12:58 AM

Sorry I don't have any suggestions on pumping, I only did so a few times with a hand pump. I just wanted to pop in here and encourage you! :) You are doing the right thing for your child! Keep up the hard work. Pumping is not an easy thing, that just shows how much you love your daughter and want to give her the best! (where's that hug icon?) :D

squintz22 05-10-2008 01:04 AM

Good for you! I also WOHM FT and pumped twice a day (also went home at lunch to nurse!) at work, for about 9 months, until DS was 11 months old and weaned. (When I got pg) Then he got what was left in the freezer until it was gone...

Anyway - things I did to help keep the supply up...

- eat oatmeal. Even oatmeal cream pies. For some reason it apparently helps.
- Drink LOTS of water.
- Drink the Mother's Milk Tea. (I alternated with water.)
- Lots of Fenugreek
- Extra pumping when possible, especially on weekends. I know lots of women who have a harder time on Friday's, but I had a harder time on Monday's for some reason. After not pumping at all over the weekend, it was like I had to get back into the pumping groove or something.

Good luck to you! I'll be joining you in two weeks......

4BabyUnit 05-10-2008 07:38 AM

Thank you:hugs: It's a Medela Pump in Style (original), and I pump for 10-15 minutes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatWasIThinking (Post 3542883)
:hugs: I can't see anyone critisizing a momma doing her best to provide for her baby!

How long do you pump at each session? What kind of pump?

4BabyUnit 05-10-2008 07:40 AM

Thank you for the support and suggestions. Hopefully the Fenugreek will work..need to go take it now. I will try squeezing too..hehe I haven't tried larger breast shields...thinking mine are fine for my average size..(B/C)..any thoughts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkins_mom (Post 3543037)
:yeahthat:
First off, YAY you for sticking with BFing and pumping this long!
I am a FT WOHM that has been BFing and pumping too. I have trouble getting enough because my daughter loves to eat! I have plenty of milk when I am with her, but I just don't respond well to the pump, even though I have a top-of-the-line consumer pump. I have taken fenugreek pills - they seem to make a real difference. The other thing that helped me is squeezing my breasts while pumping - so it's kind of like manual expression and electric pump in one. Also, I had to purchase larger breast shields - that has helped, too.
I'm guessing you've tried all of the classic suggestions - like looking at photos of your LO and trying to relax while pumping...
Oh, but the good news is that now DD is 9 months, and I am pumping pretty much exactly what she is eating! I'll keep my fingers crossed that a similar change happens for you. :)