Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   will using fabric softener w/ the regular wash hurt my diapers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4218)

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 05-07-2006 06:57 PM

will using fabric softener w/ the regular wash hurt my diapers?

I'm new to cloth diapering. I have stopped using dryer sheets in the dryer all together. Our water is pretty hard - will using fabric softener in the wash w/ our general wash (not diapers) leave any residue in the washer? Am I not supposed to use it at all?

thanks!

blondeviolin 05-07-2006 06:59 PM

Re: will using fabric softener w/ the regular wash hurt my diapers?

I'm not sure if it'll leave residue in your machine. But there is Calgon out there that will help with the hard water issue and is okay to use with your diapers.

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 05-07-2006 07:04 PM

I've heard that. I need to get some. Is it regular Calgon - like the stuff for baths, or is for actual washing machines?

kugrinic 05-07-2006 07:08 PM

Its for washing machines, look in your local grocer/ wal mart etc..detergent isle...usually on the top shelf with the oxy clean

Minniebees 05-08-2006 09:45 AM

I use fabric softener in my regular loads. I've never noticed a difference, but I'm also a freak about washing my washing machine. I try to wash it before I do a load of diapers to get any residue out (but I don't always), and if the diaper load was particularly nasty I'll wash it after, too.

clothdiaperoutlet 05-08-2006 10:31 AM

It definately can leave a residue. We share a machine with my mil and she uses a TON of liquid fabric softener. It coats both the washer and the dryer. I use a scoop of oxyclean once a week as preventative maintenance and I rarely have to strip my dipes.

widdlelou 05-08-2006 10:33 AM

:popcorn:I was wondering that too?

Sorry to hyjack, but I was wondering about the dryer sheets comment. I use dryer sheets with my other loads so that can cause problems??? :threadhijacked:

lovencloth 05-08-2006 10:38 AM

I use fabric softner on everything and have never had wicking/leaking issues. My issue is dh putting too much soap in the diaper wash :banghead: but that is another post. I don't know about dryer sheets, my mom told me when I was young that drier sheets wreck your machine and she would never buy them, so I guess I never have either! :headscratch:

Bridget Riedell 05-08-2006 11:00 AM

I did read on some diaper site recently that dryer sheets used in other loads can leave a residue on your dryer drum and then get onto your dipes.

I love using liquid fabric softener on my other laundry, but I've stopped all together for now.:(

It's worth it for the diapers though I suppose.:headscratch:

HTH,

In Christ, Bridget