Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   11 mo. old w/dark discharge from penis - UPDATE (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42181)

MommyMommyMommy 09-16-2006 01:00 PM

11 mo. old w/dark discharge from penis - UPDATE

My poor little guy (he'll be 1 in two weeks) has been sick for about a week. He started throwing up last Sunday and it continued until Monday night. I took him to the ped and was told it's just a virus. Then the diarreah(sp?) started and has continued. TMI: it's light yellowish, really runny and smells very bad.

He has not wanted to eat hardly anything all week and I'm pretty sure he's losing weight. I called the ped again and was told that it can take a week to ten days to regain a full appetite and as long as he's staying hydrated, they aren't worried. I'm worried, especially 'cause we breastfeed and I feel like my supply is dropping (I've been pumping and kinda force feeding him). His appetite is slowly returning but then he threw up again last night.

Yesterday and today he has had dark discharge from his penis. Has anyone else experienced this? How worried should I be?

I just hate when my babies are sick :(, I'd much rather go through all of this for him.

**UPDATE BELOW**

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 09-16-2006 01:07 PM

Re: 11 mo. old w/dark discharge from penis

all i want to say is take him to the Er and get him seen, the ped doesnt sound like a good dr to me, especially since your concerned and theyre just brushing it off wuith a it can take 10 days to regain..um, mommys instict is almost ALWAYS right on so i would be ehading to the ER.
the discharge coming from his penis is really concerning me, i've never heard of this when a child is sick and the diahrea is yellow, this might be just an infection but i';d be heading to the ER and getting him seen by a dr that may know something your ped doesn't know about. goodluck and my positive thoughts and prayers are coming your way mama:hugs:

cowmommy 09-16-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
all i want to say is take him to the Er and get him seen, the ped doesnt sound like a good dr to me, especially since your concerned and theyre just brushing it off wuith a it can take 10 days to regain..um, mommys instict is almost ALWAYS right on so i would be ehading to the ER.
the discharge coming from his penis is really concerning me, i've never heard of this when a child is sick and the diahrea is yellow, this might be just an infection but i';d be heading to the ER and getting him seen by a dr that may know something your ped doesn't know about. goodluck and my positive thoughts and prayers are coming your way mama:hugs:

yeah alll of that! Definately go to the ER Prayers comin your way:cry:

jjaelovesenglish 09-16-2006 01:31 PM

Go to the ER, my DD is about the same age (Oct 12 birthdate) and I would have been to the ER by now. The penis discharge is really concerning, so go get that checked out.

geckoed 09-16-2006 05:36 PM

it could be pee, does it look like cola? If it looks like cola its hemataria.
He needs to be seen ASAP. There's really nothing normal about penis discharge. and MAKE them culture the stool for a real diagnosis.

splotchy1 09-16-2006 05:46 PM

Yeah...my son just had 21 days of the rotavirus. WHen he got dehydrated, his urine had a rust color to it. It's from the kidneys working too hard.
I"d go to the emergency room and make sure his hydration levels or ok!
Ellen

Bare Bottom Gear 09-16-2006 06:01 PM

Overview

Hematuria is the presence of blood, specifically red blood cells, in the urine. Whether the blood is visible only under a microscope or visible to the naked eye, hematuria is a sign that something is causing bleeding in the genitourinary tract: the kidneys, the tubes that carry urine from the kidneys to the bladder (ureters), the prostate gland (in men), the bladder, or the tube that carries urine from the bladder out of the body (urethra). Bleeding may happen once or it may be recurrent. It can indicate different problems in men and women. Causes of this condition range from non-life threatening (e.g., urinary tract infection) to serious (e.g., cancer, kidney disease). Therefore, a physician should be consulted as soon as possible.

In gross hematuria the urine is pink, red, or dark brown and may contain small blood clots. The amount of blood in the urine does not necessarily indicate the seriousness of the underlying problem. As little as 1 milliliter (0.03 ounces) of blood will turn the urine red

MommyMommyMommy 09-16-2006 09:32 PM

Well, little Cal is feeling much better! :)

DH was researching symtoms like ds's and we figured out that he was really dehydrated. Even though we thought we were watching for signs, he had such bad diarreah that fluids were just getting out so much faster than we were putting them in. We decided to REALLY push the fluids and then take him to our ped's after hours if he wasn't better. That poor kid had so much fluid pushed at him today! Breastmilk, gatorade, pedialyte, popsicles, ice, etc. He started to feel much better, had a little bit less diarreah, stopped having the dark marks in the penis area of his diaper and started having a lot more wet diapers. He also started being a lot more like himself :) I took him into after hours and it turns out he hasn't lost any weight, his ears still look good (he's very prone to ear infections), and no fever. They were concerned about the diarreah and said that if it is still going on by Monday when the regular office is open, they will do a stool culture to get more results.

Thanks for the advice, I feel like we're back on the right track!

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 09-17-2006 08:40 AM

Re: 11 mo. old w/dark discharge from penis - UPDATE

I'm glad he's getting better!